Education, Training, & Certifications
- Ph.D., Yale University 1981
Duke Appointment History
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Turck, CJ, Frazee, E, Kram, B, Daley, MJ, Day, SA, Horner, D, Lesch, C, Mercer, JM, Plewa, AM, Herout, P, and Critical Care Pharmacotherapy Literature Update Group, . "Major publications in the critical care pharmacotherapy literature: February 2012 through February 2013." American Journal of Health System Pharmacy : Ajhp : Official Journal of the American Society of Health System Pharmacists 71, no. 1 (January 2014): 68-77. Full Text
- Bennett, SM, Mercer, JM, and Noor, MAF. "Slip-sliding away: serial changes and homoplasy in repeat number in the Drosophila yakuba homolog of human cancer susceptibility gene BRCA2. (Published online)" PLoS One 5, no. 6 (June 8, 2010): e11006-. Full Text Open Access Copy Link to Item
- Siegel, SJ, Percopo, CM, Dyer, KD, Zhao, W, Roth, VL, Mercer, JM, and Rosenberg, HF. "RNase 1 genes from the family Sciuridae define a novel rodent ribonuclease cluster." Mammalian Genome 20, no. 11-12 (2009): 749-757. Full Text
- "Differing rates of macroevolutionary diversification in arboreal squirrels." Current Science 95, no. 7 (October 10, 2008): 857-861.
- Kronauer, DJC, Bergmann, PJ, Mercer, JM, and Russell, AP. "A phylogeographically distinct and deep divergence in the widespread Neotropical turnip-tailed gecko, Thecadactylus rapicauda." Mol Phylogenet Evol 34, no. 2 (February 2005): 431-437. Full Text Link to Item
- Mercer, JM, and Roth, VL. "The effects of Cenozoic global change on squirrel phylogeny." Science 299, no. 5612 (March 7, 2003): 1568-1572. Full Text Link to Item
- Roth, VL, and Mercer, JM. "Morphometrics in Development and Evolution1." American Zoologist 40, no. 5 (October 2000): 801-810. Full Text
- Zeng, ZB, Liu, J, Stam, LF, Kao, CH, Mercer, JM, and Laurie, CC. "Genetic architecture of a morphological shape difference between two Drosophila species." Genetics 154, no. 1 (January 2000): 299-310.
- Laurie, CC, True, JR, Liu, J, and Mercer, JM. "An introgression analysis of quantitative trait loci that contribute to a morphological difference between Drosophila simulans and D. mauritiana." Genetics 145, no. 2 (February 1997): 339-348.
- Liu, J, Mercer, JM, Stam, LF, Gibson, GC, Zeng, ZB, and Laurie, CC. "Genetic analysis of a morphological shape difference in the male genitalia of Drosophila simulans and D. mauritiana." Genetics 142, no. 4 (April 1996): 1129-1145.
- True, JR, Mercer, JM, and Laurie, CC. "Differences in crossover frequency and distribution among three sibling species of Drosophila." Genetics 142, no. 2 (February 1996): 507-523.
- Mercer, JM. "Effective isotrophic dipole-dipole pair potential." Molecular Physics 69 (1990): 625-638. (Academic Article)
- Mercer, JM, and Keyes, T. "Expansion of the kinetic hierarchy for a massive particle: the Repeated Ring and Fokker-Planck equations." Journal of Statistical Physics 32 (1983): 35-51. (Academic Article)
- De la Mora, JF, and Mercer, JM. "A modified Fokker-Planck equation for the motion of Brownian particles in a non-uniform gas." Physical Review A 26 (1982): 2178-2185. (Academic Article)
- Keyes, , T, , Morita, T, and Mercer, JM. "Further developments of the approach of Peralta and Zwanzig. 1. The drag on a sphere at high density." Journal of Chemical Physics 74 (1981): 5281-5286. (Academic Article)
- Keyes, T, and Mercer, JM. "Some considerations on the calculation of the velocity correlation function in the ring approximation, with application to the Lorentz gas." Physica 95A (1979): 473-486. (Academic Article)
- Stanley, , WL, , Walters, GG, and Mercer, JM. "Lactase and other enzymes bound to chitin with gluteraldehyde." Biotech. Bio. 17 (1975): 315-326. (Academic Article)
- Mercer, JM. "Cooperativity." In Brenner's Encyclopedia of Genetics, 183-187.: Elsevier, 2013. Full Text
- Mercer, JM. "Unequal Crossing Over." In Brenner's Encyclopedia of Genetics, 252-256.: Elsevier, 2013. Full Text
- Fernandez de la Mora, J, Mercer, JM, Rosner, DE, and Fenn, JB. "Simplified kinetic treatment of heavy molecule velocity persistence effects: Application to species separation." In Rarefied Gas Dynamics: Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, edited by SS Fisher, 617-626. 1981.
- Roth, VL, and Mercer, JM. "Themes and variation in sciurid evolution." In Evolution of the Rodents, 221-245.: Cambridge University Press,. Full Text
- Teaching & Mentoring
- BIOLOGY 364L: Advanced Experimental Physics 2019
- BIOLOGY 365L: Advanced Experimental Physics 2019
- BIOLOGY 425: Biophysics II 2019
- PHYSICS 364L: Advanced Experimental Physics 2019
- PHYSICS 365L: Advanced Experimental Physics 2019
- PHYSICS 415: Biophysics II 2019
- BIOLOGY 215: Introduction to Mathematical Modeling in Biology 2018
- BIOLOGY 293: Research Independent Study 2018
- BIOLOGY 493: Research Independent Study 2018
- PHYSICS 495: Thesis Independent Study 2018
- PHYSICS 491: Independent Study: Advanced Topics 2017
- PHYSICS 493: Research Independent Study 2017
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
Service to the Profession
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.