Education, Training, & Certifications
- Ph.D., Duke University 1998
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Brodie, R, Roberts, B, Espinosa, J, Heilman, K, Borgianini, S, Welch, J, and Reinsel, K. "Seasonal and latitudinal variations in the energy reserves of the mud fiddler crab Uca pugnax: implications for the response to climate change." Aquatic Biology 26 (August 28, 2017): 113-123. Full Text
- Welch, J, Reinsel, K, Waddell, E, Wright, A, and Forward Jr, R. "Chemical cues from adult fiddler crabs stimulate molting of conspecific megalopae: evidence from field-caught individuals." Marine Ecology Progress Series 553 (July 14, 2016): 147-153. Full Text
- Reinsel, K, Welch, J, Romero, A, Parks, E, McQueen, K, Smith, M, Price, A, Clark, H, Zmina, S, Williams, C, and Forward, R. "Planktonic ingress of fiddler crab megalopae to the Newport River Estuary, NC: evidence for semilunar periodicity in Uca pugnax and species-specific sampling bias by hog’s hair larval collectors." Marine Ecology Progress Series 523 (March 16, 2015): 105-113. Full Text
- Welch, J, Reinsel, K, Battles, K, Romero, A, Blaine, J, Sendi, R, and Forward, R. "Settlement of fiddler crab megalopae on a North Carolina (USA) sandflat: species identification using multiplex PCR provides evidence for selective settlement." Marine Ecology Progress Series 523 (March 16, 2015): 115-123. Full Text
- Rellinger, EJ, Clifford, DM, Reinsel, KA, Welch, JM, and Yoder, JA. "Herding Limits Water Loss in the Sand Fiddler Crab, Uca Pugilator." Journal of Crustacean Biology 25, no. 1 (January 1, 2005): 141-145. Full Text
- Forward, R, Tankersley, R, Smith, K, and Welch, J. "Effects of chemical cues on orientation of blue crab, Callinectes sapidus, megalopae in flow: implications for location of nursery areas." Marine Biology 142, no. 4 (April 2003): 747-756. Full Text
- Jr, RBF, Tankersley, RA, and Welch, JM. "Selective tidal-stream transport of the blue crab Callinectes Sapidus: An overview." Bulletin of Marine Science 72, no. 2 (2003): 347-365.
- Tankersley, RA, Welch, JM, and Jr, RBF. "Settlement times of blue crab (Callinectes sapidus) megalopae during flood-tide transport." Marine Biology 141, no. 5 (2002): 863-875. Full Text
- McClain, CR, Fougerolle, MF, Rex, MA, and Welch, J. "MOCNESS estimates of the size and abundance of a pelagic gonostomatid fish Cyclothone pallida off the Bahamas." Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 81, no. 5 (December 31, 2001): 869-871.
- Welch, J, and Forward, R. "Flood tide transport of blue crab, Callinectes sapidus, postlarvae: Behavioral responses to salinity and turbulence." Marine Biology 139, no. 5 (2001): 911-918. Full Text
- Forward, RB, Welch, JM, and Young, CM. "Light induced larval release of a colonial ascidian." J Exp Mar Bio Ecol 248, no. 2 (May 31, 2000): 225-238. Link to Item
- Jr, RBF, Vries, MCD, Tankersley, RA, Rittschof, D, Hettler, WF, Burke, JS, Welch, JM, and Hoss, DE. "Behaviour and sensory physiology of Atlantic menhaden larvae, Brevoortia tyrannus, during horizontal transport." Fisheries Oceanography 8, no. SUPPL. 2 (1999): 37-56. Full Text
- Welch, JM, Jr, RBF, and Howd, PA. "Behavioral responses of blue crab Callinectes sapidus postlarvae to turbulence: Implications for selective tidal stream transport." Marine Ecology Progress Series 179 (1999): 135-143.
- Rittschof, D, Jr, RBF, Cannon, G, Welch, JM, Jr, MM, Holm, ER, Clare, AS, Conova, S, McKelvey, LM, Bryan, P, and Dover, CLV. "Cues and context: Larval responses to physical and chemical cues." Biofouling 12, no. 1-3 (1998): 31-44.
- Forward Jr., RB, Swanson, J, Tankersely, RA, and Welch, JM. "Endogenous swimming rhythms of blue crab, Callinectes sapidus , megalopae: effects of offshore and estuarine cues." Marine Biology 127, no. 4 (March 14, 1997): 621-628. Full Text
- Welch, JM, Rittschof, D, Bullock, TM, and Jr, RBF. "Effects of chemical cues on settlement behavior of blue crab Callinectes sapidus postlarvae." Marine Ecology Progress Series 154 (1997): 143-153.
- Jr, RBF, Burke, JS, Rittschof, D, and Welch, JM. "Photoresponses of larval Atlantic menhaden (Brevoortia tyrannus Latrobe) in offshore and estuarine waters: Implications for transport." Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 199, no. 1 (1996): 123-135. Full Text
- Jr, RBF, DeVries, MC, Rittschof, D, Frankel, DAZ, Bischoff, JP, Fisher, CM, and Welch, JM. "Effects of environmental cues on metamorphosis of the blue crab Callinectes sapidus." Marine Ecology Progress Series 131, no. 1-3 (1996): 165-177.
- Welch, J, and Epifanio, C. "Effect of variations in prey abundance on growth and development of crab larvae reared in the laboratory and in large field-deployed enclosures ." Marine Ecology Progress Series 116 (1995): 55-64. Full Text
- Epifanio, C, Lobanoff, M, Connaughton, V, and Welch, J. "Growth and development of Atlantic mud crab larvae fed natural Zooplankton prey." Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 180, no. 2 (July 1994): 165-174. Full Text
- Teaching & Mentoring
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.