Education, Training, & Certifications
- Ph.D., University of Florida 2000
Duke Appointment History
In the News
DEC 1, 2017 Duke Global Health Institute
DEC 1, 2017 Duke Global Health Institute
DEC 9, 2016
NOV 28, 2016
APR 8, 2015
FEB 5, 2015
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Bosch L, Kanis M, Dunn J, Stewart K, Krose B. How is the Caregiver Doing? Capturing Caregivers’ Experiences with a Reflective Toolkit. Journal of Medical Internet Research: Mental Health. 2019.
- Stewart K, Ingold R, de Bruyn M, Swain KK. Art as Disruption in Global Health Humanities: The Humument Technique, a Sexual and Reproductive Health Archive, and Developing Flexible Student Thinking(In preparation). Banner O, Carlin N, editors.. 2019:319-337.
- Esmaili BE, Stewart KA, Masalu NA, Schroeder KM. Qualitative Analysis of Palliative Care for Pediatric Patients With Cancer at Bugando Medical Center: An Evaluation of Barriers to Providing End-of-Life Care in a Resource-Limited Setting. Journal of Global Oncology. 2018 Jul;4:1-10. PubMed Central PMCID: 30084714. Full Text Open Access Copy
- Lawrence C, Mhlaba T, Stewart KA, Moletsane R, Gaede B, Moshabela M. The Hidden Curricula of Medical Education: A Scoping Review. Academic Medicine. 2018 Apr;93(4):648-656. PubMed Central PMCID: 29116981. Full Text Open Access Copy
- Hall EE, Walkington H, Shanahan JO, Ackley E, Stewart KA. Mentor perspectives on the place of undergraduate research mentoring in academic identity and career development: an analysis of award winning mentors. International Journal for Academic Development. 2018 Jan 2;23(1):15-27. Full Text
- Stewart KA, Loiseau N, Odendahl-James J, Rainer C, Alexopoulos E. Theatre as a Transformative Learning Experience for US-Based Students of Global Health Ethics. Critical Stages. 2018;(17):1-16. Link to Item
Tillekeratne LG, Bodinayake CK, Dabrera T, Nagahawatte A, Arachchi WK, Sooriyaarachchi A, et al. Antibiotic overuse for acute respiratory tract infections in Sri Lanka: a qualitative study of outpatients and their physicians.. Bmc Family Practice. 2017 Mar 16;18(1).Full Text Open Access Copy
Stewart KA, Swain KK. Global health humanities: defining an emerging field.. Lancet (London, England). 2016 Nov 25;388(10060):2586–7.Full Text Open Access Copy
- Stewart KA. Anthropological Perspectives in Bioethics. 2016 Oct 6:113-121. (Chapter) Full Text
Lawrence C, Stewart K. The Challenge of Community Representation.. Journal of Empirical Research on Human Research Ethics : Jerhre. 2016 Oct;11(4):311–21.Full Text Open Access Copy
Bali S, Stewart KA, Pate MA. Long shadow of fear in an epidemic: fearonomic effects of Ebola on the private sector in Nigeria.. Bmj Global Health. 2016 Jan;1(3).Full Text Open Access Copy
Stewart KA. Teaching corner: the prospective case study : a pedagogical innovation for teaching global health ethics.. Journal of Bioethical Inquiry. 2015 Mar;12(1):57–61.Full Text Open Access Copy
- Shanahan JO, Ackley-Holbrook E, Hall E, Stewart K, Walkington H. Ten salient practices of undergraduate research mentors: A review of the literature. Mentoring and Tutoring: Partnership in Learning. 2015 Jan 1;23(5):359-376. Full Text Open Access Copy
- Stewart KA, Nguyen Q. AIDS Denialism: Conspiratorial Ideation and the Internet. Journal of Global Health (Columbia University). 2015;5(2):44-47. Link to Item
- Stewart KA. The undergraduate field-research experience in Global Health: Study abroad, service learning, professional training or 'none of the above'?. Learning and Teaching. 2013 Jan 1;6(2). Full Text Open Access Copy
- Stewart KA, Keusch GT, Kleinman A. Values in global health governance. 2011 Jan 1:304-310. (Chapter) Full Text Open Access Copy
Feierman S, Kleinman A, Stewart K, Farmer D, Das V. Anthropology, knowledge-flows and global health.. Global Public Health. 2010 Jan;5(2):122–8.Full Text
Stewart K, Sewankambo N. Okukkera Ng'omuzungu (lost in translation): understanding the social value of global health research for HIV/AIDS research participants in Uganda.. Global Public Health. 2010 Jan;5(2):164–80.Full Text
Stewart KA, Keusch GT, Kleinman A. Values and moral experience in global health: bridging the local and the global.. Global Public Health. 2010 Jan;5(2):115–21.Full Text
- Palamountain KM, Stewart KA, Krauss A, Kelso D, Diermeier D. University leadership for innovation in global health and HIV/AIDS diagnostics. Global Public Health. 2010 Jan;5(2):189-196. PubMed Central PMCID: 20119876. Full Text
- Stewart KA. Anthropological perspectives in bio-ethics. 2008 Dec 1:184-193. (Chapter) Full Text Open Access Copy
- Stewart KA. Can a human rights framework improve biomedical and social scientific HIV/AIDS research for African women?. Human Rights Review. 2006 Dec 1;7(2):130-136. Full Text
- Singh P, Stewart K, Moses S. Pastoral care following pregnancy loss: the role of ritual. The Journal of Pastoral Care & Counseling : Jpcc. 2004 Mar;58(1-2):41-53. PubMed Central PMCID: 15162656. Full Text
- Stewart KA. Toward a historical perspective on sexuality in Uganda: The reproductive lifeline technique for grandmothers and their daughters. Africa Today. 2001 Jan 1;47(3):121-148.
- Stewart K. Confronting Stereotypes about HIV/AIDS and Africans. Bastian ML, editor.. 1999:89-101. Link to Item
- Stewart KA. Iron Age ceramic studies in Great Lakes eastern Africa: a critical and historiographical review. The African Archaeological Review. 1993 Dec 1;11(1):21-37. Full Text
- Stewart K. AIDS and AIDS Programs in Africa. Cultural Sociology of the Middle East, Asia and Africa, Volume 2, Africa. 2012. (Essay)
- Stewart K. Malaria in Africa. Cultural Sociology of the Middle East, Asia and Africa, Volume 2, Africa. 2012. (Essay)
- Stewart K. Children and Health in Uganda. Epstein I, editor. Greenwood Encyclopedia of Children’S Issues Worldwide. 2008. (Essay)
- Stewart K. Review of "Witches, Westerners, and HIV: AIDS and Cultures of Blame in Africa" by Alexander Rodlach. Aids Research and Therapy. 2007;4(5). (Review)
- Stewart K. Translating Concepts from English Consent Forms: Examples from Research in Uganda. Ssengonzi R, Studer E, editors. Irb Training Manual for Irb Members. 2006. (Working Paper)
- Stewart K. New Perspectives on African Feminism and the History of African Women. Women'S Studies International Forum. 1999;22(2):261-262. (Review)
- Stewart K. Research on Adolescents and HIV/AIDS in Uganda: A Field Report. Aids and Anthropology Bulletin. 1999;11(1):4-6. (Essay)
- Stewart K. Sheena Duncan. Women in World History: a Biographical Encyclopedia Volume 4. 1999:847-853. (Essay)
- Stewart K. Ruth First. Women in World History: a Biographical Encyclopedia Volume 5. 1999:539-545. (Essay)
- Stewart K. Ellen Kuzwayo. Women in World History: a Biographical Encyclopedia Volume 8. 1999:870-875. (Essay)
- Stewart K. An Interview with Claire Elizabeth Sterk. Aids and Anthropology Bulletin. 1998;10(3):3-3. (Interview)
- Stewart KA. Recent Publications on Sexual Health in Africa. African Studies Review. 1998 Jan 1;41(2):138-142. (Review) Full Text
- Stewart K. Review of Marcia Inhorn, Infertility and Patriarchy: The Cultural Politics of Gender and Family Life in Egypt. Women'S Studies International Forum. 1997;20(1):184-184. (Review)
- Stewart KA. Infertility and patriarchy: The cultural politics of gender and family life in Egypt. Women'S Studies International Forum. 1997 Jan;20(1):184-184. Full Text
- Stewart K. Review of Kees Shilder, Quest for Self Esteem: State, Islam and Mundang Ethnicity in Northern Cameroon. African Studies Review. 1996;39(2):192-194. (Review)
- Stewart K. A Further Note on Research in Burundi. History in Africa. 1989;16:401-402. (Essay)
- Dziva CC, Njuguna I, Neary J, Rainer C, Chihota B, Slyker JA, Katz D, Wamalwa DC, Oyiengo L, Bandason T, McHugh G, Dauya E, Stewart K, John-Stewart G, Ferrand RA, Wagner AD. Diagnostic accuracy of HIV oral rapid tests versus blood based rapid tests among children. CROI: Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections. 2019 Mar 4 - 2019 Mar 7. Seattle, WA. 2019. Link to Item
- Stewart K, Koris A, Dauya E, Ferrand RA, McHugh G. Ethical Challenges of Interactive Arts-Based Research Using Social Media to Generate Health-Related Data With HIV+ Adolescents Living in Zimbabwe. Ethox: Oxford Global Health and Bioethics International Conference. 2019 Jul 1 - 2019 Jul 2. University of Oxford. 2019.
- Peterseim C, Stewart K, Parshad-Asnani M, Ngo Bitoungui V, Chetcha C, Wonkam ET, Clark A, Young N, Desronvil K, Katz M, Williams C, Benson K, Shah N, Babyak M, Wonkam A, Tanabe P, Royal C. A Global Mixed-Methods Study of Provider Attitudes and Practices Regarding Pain Management in Sickle Cell Disease. Unite for Sight Global Health and Innovation Conference. 2018 Apr 14 - 2018 Apr 15. New Haven, CT. 2018.
- Stewart K, Ingold R, de Bruyn M, Swain K. Using archival materials, art and poetry to improve sexual and reproductive global health training and programs (D5 Knowledge translation and dissemination of research and programme outcomes). 22nd International AIDS Conference. 2018 Jul 23 - 2018 Jul 27. Amsterdam. 2018. Link to Item
- Stewart K, de Bruyn M, Swain K, Ingold R. Teaching the Ethical Conduct of Global Health Research Through Archived Grey Literature. Going Viral: Impact and Implications of the 1918 Influenza Pandemic: A National Interdisciplinary Research and Policy Symposium. 2018 Apr 5 - 2018 Apr 6. UNC Chapel Hill. 2018.
- Guler J, Stewart K, de Vries PJ, Seris N, Shabalala N, Franz L. Conducting Focus Group Discussions on Autism Spectrum Disorders in South Africa: Challenges and Ethical Issues. 13th International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry. 2017 May 17 - 2017 May 20. Urbana-Champaign, IL. 2017. Link to Item
- Stewart K, Ingold R, de Bruyn M, Swain K. Teaching the Ethical Conduct of Global Health Research Through Archived Grey Literature. Ethox: Oxford Global Health and Bioethics International Conference. 2017 Jul 17 - 2017 Jul 18. University of Oxford. 2017. Link to Item
- Stewart K, Amaya-Burns A, Burns A. Discover, Design, Debate: Global Health Research Ethics Training Through Collaborative Video Production. 13th World Congress of Bioethics. 2016 Jun 15 - 2016 Jun 17. Edinburgh. 2016.
- Lawrence C, Stewart K. Creating Successful Community Advisory Boards in Resource-Limited Settings: Lessons from Six Ugandan HIV/AIDS Clinical Research Centers. CUGH. 2015 Mar 26 - 2015 Mar 28. Boston, MA. 2015.
- Stewart K. Research, Training, or Service Learning? Ethics and the Undergraduate Global Health Experience. International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. 2013 Oct 2 - 2013 Oct 5. Raleigh, NC. 2013.
- Stewart K. Research, Training, or Service Learning? Ethics and the Undergraduate Global Health Experience. CUGH. 2013 Mar 14 - 2013 Mar 16. Washington, D.C.. 2013.
- Stewart K, Stratford D, Koenig L, Ellerbrock T, Pratt-Palmore M. Challenges of Using a Multi-Method Approach for a Clinic-Based Study of Adherence to HIV/AIDS Medications. The Science of Team Science: Assessing the Value of Transdisciplinary Research. 2006 Oct 30 - 2006 Oct 31. National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD. 2006. Link to Item
- Golde M, Lindsey WC, Stratford D, McLellan E, Koenig LJ, Stewart K, Hill M, Ellerbrock T, Pratt-Palmore M. Care and “Caring”: Patients’ Perceptions of Relationships with their Healthcare Providers as Supporting or Hindering HAART Adherence. XIV International AIDS Conference. 2002 Jul 7 - 2002 Jul 12. Barcelona. 2002.
- Koenig L, Ellerbrock T, Pratt-Palmore M, Stratford D, Malatino E, Todd-Turner M, Bush T, Stewart K, Schnell C. Predictors of Early Failure of Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy (HAART). XIII International AIDS Conference. 2000 Jul 9 - 2000 Jul 14. Durban. 2000.
- Logan J, Msunza Z, Tesha F, Kasimba A, Ng’ida F, Sombe N, Mwangi R, Temba B, Kisanga E, Stewart KA. Social responsibility of the global health researcher: A research ethics video training module(Published online). : Ubiquity Press, Ltd.;:477-477. Full Text
- Teaching & Mentoring
- BIOETHIC 591: Topics in Science Policy 2019
- CULANTH 291: Independent Study 2019
- CULANTH 293: Research Independent Study 2019
- GLHLTH 302: Global Narratives of Living with HIV/AIDS 2019
- GLHLTH 341: Ethics of Global Infectious Disease Control 2019
- GLHLTH 740: Ethics for Global Health Research 2019
- GLHLTH 772: Global Health Research: Qualitative Field Methods 2019
- GLHLTH 791: Independent Study in Global Health 2019
- GLHLTH 792: Independent Study in Global Health 2019
- ICS 295: Global Narratives of Living with HIV/AIDS 2019
- ICS 299: Ethics of Global Infectious Disease Control 2019
- RIGHTS 302: Global Narratives of Living with HIV/AIDS 2019
- RIGHTS 341: Ethics of Global Infectious Disease Control 2019
- SCISOC 341: Ethics of Global Infectious Disease Control 2019
- GLHLTH 393: Research Independent Study in Global Health 2017
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
- Bass Connections Faculty Team Leader. Story+ Project Lead. 2018 2018
- Bass Connections Faculty Team Member. Global Alliance on Disability and Health Innovation. 2018 - 2019 2018 - 2019
- Bass Connections Faculty Team Member . Global Mental Health Program . August 2017 - May 2018 2017 - 2018
- Bass Connections Faculty Team Member. Global Alliance on Disability and Health Innovation (GANDHI). August 2017 - May 2018 2017 - 2018
- Bass Connections Faculty Team Member . Global Alliance on Disability and Health Innovation (GANDHI). August 2016 - May 2017 2016 - 2017
- Bass Connections Faculty Team Member . Global Mental Health Integrative Training Program . August 2016 - May 2017 2016 - 2017
- Bass Connections Faculty Team Member. Integrative Global Health Research on Sickle Cell Disease. August 2014 - May 2015 2014 - 2015
- Bass Connections Faculty Team Member . Strengthening Community Environmental Health through Duke-HBCU Partnerships. August 2013 - May 2014 2013 - 2014
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.