Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
In the News
MAY 20, 2019 Duke Arts
Awards & Honors
- Fellow. National Humanities Center. 2007
- Frederick Burkhardt Residential Fellows. American Council of Learned Societies. 2007
- Jaap Kunst Prize. Society for Ethnomusicology. 2005
- Finalist, best research in recorded popular music, for Sound of Africa! Making Music Zulu in a South African Studio (Duke University Press, 2003).. Association for Recorded Sound Collections Awards of Excellence . 2004
- Thomas Langford Lecture Award for recently tenured faculty. Duke University, .. 2004
- Publications & Artistic Works
Meintjes, L. Dust of the Zulu: Ngoma Aesthetics after Apartheid. Durham: Duke University Press Books, 2017.Link to Item
Meintjes, L. Sound of Africa!: Making Music Zulu in a South African Studio. Duke University Press, 2003.
Porcello, T., L. Meintjes, A. M. Ochoa, and D. W. Samuels. “The reorganization of the sensory world.” Annual Review of Anthropology 39 (October 21, 2010): 51–66. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.anthro.012809.105042.Full Text Open Access Copy
Samuels, D. W., L. Meintjes, A. M. Ochoa, and T. Porcello. “Soundscapes: Toward a sounded anthropology.” Annual Review of Anthropology 39 (October 21, 2010): 329–45. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-anthro-022510-132230.Full Text Open Access Copy
Meintjes, L. “The World of South African Music: A Reader edited by C. Lucia (Newcastle, Cambridge Scholars Press, 2005).” Journal of Southern African Studies 34 (2008): 234–36.
Meintjes, L. “Representing African Music: Postcolonial Notes, Queries, Positions by Kofi Agawu (Routledge, 2003).” Journal of the American Musicological Society 59 (2007): 769–77.
Meintjes, L. “Dispare al Sargento, Derrumbe la Montaña: La Producción de la Masculinidad por medio del canto y baile Zulú "Ngoma" en la Suráfrica Post-Apartheid.” Translated by Sebastián Cruz and Ana María Ochoa Gautier. Trans: Revista Transcultural De MúSica/Transcultural Music Review 10 (2006).
Meintjes, L. “O sentimento da política: produzindo ‘zuluidade’ em um estúdio de gravação sul-africano. [The Feeling of Politics: Producing Zuluness in a South African Studio.].” Debates 8 (2005): 78–92.
Meintjes, L. “Shoot the Sergeant, Shatter the Mountain: The production of masculinity in Zulu Ngoma Song and Dance in post Apartheid South Africa.” Ethnomusicology Forum 13, no. 2 (2004): 173–201.
MEINTJES, L. O. U. I. S. E. “In the Time of Cannibals: The Word Music of South Africa's Basotho Migrants . DAVID B. COPLAN.” American Ethnologist 23, no. 3 (August 1996): 648–648. https://doi.org/10.1525/ae.1996.23.3.02a00200.Full Text
Meintjes, L. “Marabi Nights: Early South African Jazz and Vaudeville by C. Ballantine (Ravan Press, 1993).” Popular Music 15 (1996): 245–47.
Meintjes, L. “African Stars: Studies in Black South African Performance by V. Erlmann (U Chicago Press, 1991).” Popular Music 11 (October 1992): 378–80.
Meintjes, L. “"Paul Simon's Graceland, South Africa, and the Mediation of Musical Meaning".” Ethnomusicology 34, no. 1 (December 1990): 37–73.
Meintjes, L. “The Recording Studio as Fetish.” In The Sound Studies Reader, edited by J. Sterne. Routledge, 2012.
Meintjes, L., Louise Meintjes, Ana María Ochoa, Thomas Porcello, and David W. Samuels. “Ethnomusicology.” In Oxford Bibliographies in Anthropology, edited by John Jackson. Oxford University Press, 2012.
Meintjes, L. “The Politics of the Recording Studio: A Case Study from South Africa.” In The Cambridge Companion to Recorded Music, edited by Nicholas Cook, Eric Clarke, Daniel Leech-Wilkinson, and John Rink. Cambridge University Press, 2009.
Meintjes, L. “"Reaching Overseas: South African Sound Engineers, Technology and Tradition".” In Wired for Sound: Engineering and Technologies in Sonic Cultures, edited by P. Greene and T. Porcello, 23–48. Middletown: Wesleyan University Press, 2004.
Meintjes, L. “Entries on DownTown Studios and EMI(South Africa).” In Encyclopedia of Popular Music of the World, Volume One: Media, Culture and the Industry, edited by L. Shepherd and L. Laing. Cassell: London, 2002.
Meintjes, L. “"Hugh Masekela", and "Abdullah Ibrahim".” In The New Groves Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2001.
Meintjes, L. “"John Lindemann" and "West Nkosi".” In The Rough Guide to World Music, edited by Ellingham et al Broughton. The Rough Guides: London, 1994.
Artistic Works & Non-Print Media
- Teaching & Mentoring
- CULANTH 890S: Advanced Selected Topics 2020
- CULANTH 131: World Music: Aesthetic and Anthropological Approaches 2019
- CULANTH 222S: Sound in Social Life 2019
- CULANTH 730S: Studies in Ethnomusicology 2019
- CULANTH 802S: Theories in Cultural Anthropology 2019
- ICS 246S: Sound in Social Life 2019
- MUSIC 130: World Music: Aesthetic and Anthropological Approaches 2019
- MUSIC 239S: Sound in Social Life 2019
- MUSIC 790S-2: Studies in Ethnomusicology 2019
- RIGHTS 130: World Music: Aesthetic and Anthropological Approaches 2019
- AAAS 290A: Duke-Administered Study Abroad: Advanced Special Topics in African & African American Studies 2018
- AAAS 290S: Special Topics 2018
- CULANTH 222S: Sound in Social Life 2018
- CULANTH 290A: Duke-Administered Study Abroad: Special Topics in Cultural Anthropology 2018
- CULANTH 730S: Studies in Ethnomusicology 2018
- CULANTH 803S: Research Methods/ Porfolio Seminar 2018
- ICS 246S: Sound in Social Life 2018
- ICS 290S: Selected Topics in International Comparative Studies 2018
- MUSIC 239S: Sound in Social Life 2018
- MUSIC 290A: Duke-Administered Study Abroad: Advanced Special Topics in Music 2018
- MUSIC 290S-3: Special Topics in Ethnomusicology 2018
- MUSIC 790S-2: Studies in Ethnomusicology 2018
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- GLOBALMUS International Workshop. December 14, 2012 2012
- II Simpósio Brasileiro de Pós-Graduandos em Música (one of main speakers). December 14, 2012 2012
- School of Music lecture series. December 14, 2012 2012
- Symposium: “Enchantings: Modernity, Culture, and the State in Postcolonial Africa.". December 14, 2012 2012
- Class of 1960 Fellow, Music department residency.. December 18, 2011 2011
- Music Colloquium. December 18, 2011 2011
- Music Dept lecture series. December 18, 2011 2011
- Luck with Bones: Ngoma cultural Brokerage on the world music circuit. November 19, 2010 2010
- Seminar participation: Contemporary Soundspaces: Sound, Agency, and the Politics of Value. November 19, 2010 2010
- Richard Bauman Lecture in human communication. October 6, 2010 2010
- Invited lecture, Distinguished Lecture Series, Musicology Dept. October 1, 2010 2010
- Invited Lecture, Dept of Anthropology. May 17, 2010 2010
- Invited Conference: Listening In/Feeding Back. November 30, 2009 2009
- Introduction to Keynote Speaker, Society for Ethnomusicology conference. November 21, 2009 2009
- Panel discussant: Sonic Mediation and Studio Technology, Society for Ethnomusicology conference. November 21, 2009 2009
- Invited Lecture: Ethnomusicology Colloquium, Music Dept, UC-Berkeley. November 4, 2009 2009
- Invited Conference: Digital economies and the politics of circulation. April 1, 2009 2009
- Invited lecture: "Music on Trial". Presented with Catherine Admay (Public Policy) and Ferhat Tunc (Turkish visiting artist), NCUS Dept Music.. March 1, 2009 2009
- On Silences and Dancing Around the Truth in Msinga, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. November 24, 2008 2008
- Dancing Around the Truth in Msinga, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. October 3, 2008 2008
- Fellows panel, annual meeting of the ACLS.. May 9, 2008 2008
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
Service to the Profession
- Editorial Board member, Journal of African Cultural Studies. 2012 2012
- Tenure reviews. December 18, 2011 2011
- Member : International Board of Advisers, African Musicology Online. 2010 2010
- Member : MA thesis committee. 2010 2010
- Undergraduate Program External Review Committee, UC-Riverside Dept. Music. November 4, 2009 2009
- Editorial board member Ethnomusicology Forum. 2009 2009
- Editorial board member Journal of Ethnomusicology. 2009 - 2012 2009 - 2012
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Distinguished Achievement Award nominator. December 4, 2008 2008
- Chair : Nahumck Prize committee. January 5, 2008 2008
- Editorial Board. January 5, 2008 2008
- Herskovits Book Prize committee. January 5, 2008 2008
- Nominator. January 5, 2008 2008
- Papers refereed. January 5, 2008 2008
- Pre-selection fellowship review. January 5, 2008 2008
- Tenure review. January 5, 2008 2008
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.