Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
- Doctor of Nursing Practice awarded by Health Resources and Service Administration 2009 - 2012
- Distance Based MSN in Nursing & Health Care Leadership awarded by Department of Health and Human Services 2003 - 2006
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Little, SH, Dickerson, PS, Randolph, G, Rocco, P, and Short, N. "Using the ARCC Model to Implement the 2015 ANCC COA Criteria: A North Carolina Public Health Nursing Project." The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing 48, no. 11 (November 1, 2017): 501-507. Full Text
- Ong, A, Short, N, Radovich, P, and Kroetz, J. "Ripple effect: Shared governance and nurse engagement." Nursing Management 48, no. 10 (October 1, 2017): 28-34. Full Text
- Biggerstaff, ME, and Short, N. "Evaluation of specialist referrals at a rural health care clinic." Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners 29, no. 7 (July 2017): 410-414. Full Text
- Jenko, M, and Short, NM. "A Systems Approach to Improving Care for All Bereaved Families." Dimensions of critical care nursing : DCCN 35, no. 6 (November 2016): 315-322. Full Text
- Gaston, T, Short, N, Ralyea, C, and Casterline, G. "Promoting Patient Safety: Results of a TeamSTEPPS® Initiative." The Journal of nursing administration 46, no. 4 (April 2016): 201-207. Full Text
- Lytle, KS, Short, NM, Richesson, RL, and Horvath, MM. "Clinical Decision Support for Nurses: A Fall Risk and Prevention Example." Computers, informatics, nursing : CIN 33, no. 12 (December 2015): 530-E1. Full Text
- Uzarski, D, Burke, J, Turner, B, Vroom, J, and Short, N. "A Plan for Academic Biobank Solvency-Leveraging Resources and Applying Business Processes to Improve Sustainability." Clinical and translational science 8, no. 5 (October 2015): 553-557. Full Text
- Carpenter, JE, Short, N, Williams, TE, Yandell, B, and Bowers, MT. "Improving Congestive Heart Failure Care with a Clinical Decision Unit." Nursing economic$ 33, no. 5 (September 2015): 255-262.
- Estes, TS, Short, N, Bowser, D, and Boyle, A. "An evidence-based quality improvement perspective for a chronic obstructive pulmonary disease case-finding program." Chronic Respiratory Disease 11, no. 3 (August 2014): 131-138. Full Text
- Yackel, EE, Short, NM, Lewis, PC, Breckenridge-Sproat, ST, and Turner, BS. "Improving the adoption of evidence-based practice among nurses in army outpatient medical treatment facilities." Military Medicine 178, no. 9 (2013): 1002-1009. Full Text
- Short, NM. "The final frontier." Nursing Economics 30, no. 3 (2012): 185-186.
- Corazzini, KN, Anderson, RA, Mueller, C, McConnell, ES, Landerman, LR, Thorpe, JM, and Short, NM. "Regulation of LPN Scope of Practice in Long-Term Care." Journal of Nursing Regulation 2, no. 2 (July 2011): 30-36. Full Text
- Corazzini, KN, Anderson, RA, Mueller, C, McConnell, ES, Landerman, LR, Thorpe, JM, and Short, NM. "Regulation of LPN scope of practice in long-term care." Journal of Nursing Regulation 2, no. 2 (July 2011): 31-36. (Academic Article)
- Morgan, P, Strand De Oliveira, J, and Short, NM. "Physician assistants and nurse practitioners: a missing component in state workforce assessments." J Interprof Care 25, no. 4 (July 2011): 252-257. Full Text Link to Item
- Short, NM. "Influencing health policy: strategies for nursing education to partner with nursing practice." J Prof Nurs 24, no. 5 (September 2008): 264-269. Full Text Link to Item
- Blood-Siegfried, JE, Short, NM, Rapp, CG, Hill, E, Talbert, S, Skinner, J, Campbell, A, and Goodwin, L. "A rubric for improving the quality of online courses." Int J Nurs Educ Scholarsh 5 (2008): Article-34. (Review) Full Text Link to Item
- Strand, J, Short, NM, and Korb, EG. "The roles and supply of nurse-midwives, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants in North Carolina." N C Med J 68, no. 3 (May 2007): 184-186. Link to Item
- Kelly, DL, and Short, NM. "Exploring assumptions about teams." Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 32, no. 2 (February 2006): 109-111. (Letter) Link to Item
- Short, N. "From classroom to congress: My year on the legislative staff of the U.S. Senate." American Journal of Nursing 106, no. 2 (2006): 70-71.
- Short, N. "From classroom to Congress. My year on the legislative staff of the U.S. Senate." Tar heel nurse. 68, no. 3 (2006): 17-18.
- Kennedy, T, Turner, B, Nevidjon, B, Short, N, and Lagasse, C. "The nursing leadership program. The Cyprus experience--a tale of two cultures." Nurs Leadersh Forum 8, no. 3 (2004): 88-94. Link to Item
- Champagne, MT, Hewitt, D, Short, N, Pietrangelo-Brown, S, Epstein, S, and Bowers, M. "Access to opportunity: The Duke-east Carolina partnerships for training program." Journal of Asynchronous Learning Network 6, no. 2 (2002).
- Short, N. "Online learning: ready, set, click." RN 63, no. 11 (November 2000): 28-32. (Academic Article)
- Short, NM. "Five steps to prevent online problems before they start." T.H.E. Journal (Technological Horizons in Education) 28, no. 2 (2000): 56-65. (Academic Article)
- Short, NM, and Bair, L. "Standards of care: practicing what we preach." Nurs Manage 21, no. 6 (June 1990): 32-39. Link to Item
- Short, NM, and Bair, L. "Standards of care." Nursing Management 21, no. 6 (January 1, 1990): 32-39.
- Munn, NE. "When the bile duct is blocked." RN 52, no. 1 (January 1989): 50-57. (Academic Article)
- Munn, NE. "Quick guide to abdominal trauma." Nursing 19, no. 5 (1989): 32J-32L. (Academic Article)
- Short, NM. "Inpatient GI nursing; gastrointestinal intubations: Nursing considerations." Gastroenterology Nursing 12, no. 1 (January 1, 1989): 43-49.
- Short, NM. "Gastrointestinal intubations: nursing considerations." Gastroenterol Nurs 12, no. 1 (1989): 43-49. Link to Item
- Short, NM. "Interdependence between the GI unit and inpatient nurses." Gastroenterol Nurs 12, no. 2 (1989): 118-121. Link to Item
- Munn, NE. "Diagnosis: acute abdomen [CEU feature]." Nursing 18, no. 9 (September 1988): 34-42. (Academic Article)
- Teaching & Mentoring
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.