Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
In the News
NOV 13, 2018 World Food Policy Center
JUN 29, 2018
JAN 5, 2017
JUN 3, 2016 WUNC
APR 14, 2016 The Huffington Post
MAR 1, 2016
JAN 29, 2016 Publisher’s Weekly
OCT 25, 2015
SEP 22, 2015 NPR News
SEP 2, 2015 The Deseret News
JUL 10, 2015 The Christian Century
MAY 26, 2015 USA Today
APR 29, 2015
OCT 16, 2014
- Rethinking Humanity's Place in an Anthropocene World awarded by Henry Luce Foundation, Inc. 2016 - 2021
- A Human Place in the World awarded by Association of Theological Schools 2014 - 2016
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Wirzba, N. Sustainable Agriculture and the World’s Religious Traditions. Lexington: The University Press of Kentucky, 2014.
- Bahnson, F, and Wirzba, N. Making peace with the land : God's call to reconcile with creation: God's call to reconcile with creation. Downers Grove, Ill: InterVarsity Press, 2012. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. Food and faith: A theology of eating. January 1, 2011. Full Text
- Wirzba, N. Food and faith : a theology of eating: a theology of eating. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2011. Link to Item
- Benson, BE, and Wirzba, N. Words of life new theological turns in French phenomenology: new theological turns in French phenomenology. New York: Fordham University Press, 2010. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. The Gift of Creation: Images from Scripture and Earth. Morley, MO: Acclaim Press, 2009.
- Wirzba, N, and Benson, BE. Transforming philosophy and religion: Love's wisdom. December 1, 2008.
- Wirzba, N, and Benson, BE. Transforming philosophy and religion : love's wisdom: love's wisdom. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2008. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. Living the sabbath: discovering the rhythms of rest and delight. Grand Rapids: Brazos, 2006. Link to Item
- Benson, BE, and Wirzba, N. The phenomenology of Prayer. December 1, 2005.
- Wirzba, N. The essential agrarian reader : the future of culture, community, and the land / edited by Norman Wirzba. Lexington: University Press of Kentucky, 2003. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. The paradise of God renewing religion in an ecological age: renewing religion in an ecological age. New York: Oxford University Press, Incorporated, 2003. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. The Art of the Commonplace: Wendell Berry’s Agrarian Essays. Edited by N Wirzba. Washington, D.C: Counterpoint Press, 2002.
- Wirzba, N. "Agrarian ecotheology." Theology 116, no. 1 (January 1, 2013): 36-38. Full Text
- Wirzba, N. "Thinking Theologically About Food." The Bible in Transmission , no. summer (2013).
- Norman Wirzba, , and Wirzba, N. "Eating in ignoranceEating in ignorance: do we know where our food comes from?." Christian Century 129, no. 11 (May 30, 2012): 24-27. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. "The Future of Food." Renewing Minds: A Journal of Christian Thought (2012).
- Wirzba, N. "A Priestly Approach to Environmental Theology: Learning to Receive and Give Again the Gifts of Creation." Dialog 50, no. 4 (December 1, 2011): 354-362. Full Text
- Wirzba, N. "Eucharistic table manners: learning how to eat." Perspectives 26, no. 2 (February 1, 2011): 13-16. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. "The Grace of Good Food and the Call to Good Farming." Review & Expositor 108, no. 1 (February 2011): 61-71. Full Text
- Norman Wirzba, . "FOR GOD SO LOVED THE DIRT." Sojourners Magazine 40, no. 4 (2011): 16-. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. "Letter to a Young Farmer." Comment (2011).
- Wirzba, N. "Saying grace: transforming people, transforming the world." Journal for the Study of Religion, Nature and Culture 3, no. 2 (June 1, 2009): 195-212. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. "Sunshine-powered: the next agrarian revolution." Christian Century 126, no. 10 (May 19, 2009): 28-31. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. "The Meaning of Creation." The Gift of Creation (2009).
- Wirzba, N. "The Art of Being a Creature." The Gift of Creation (2009).
- Wirzba, N. "Agrarianism for Christians." The Christian Citizen (2009).
- Norman Wirzba, . "Soil, Food, and Faith: A Primer in Environmental Theology." The Presbyterian Record 132, no. 4 (2008): 18-. (Academic Article) Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. "The touch of humility: An invitation to creatureliness." Modern Theology 24, no. 2 (January 1, 2008): 225-244. Full Text
- Wirzba, N. "The Dark Night of the Soil: An Agrarian Approach to Mystical Life." Christianity & Literature 56, no. 2 (March 2007): 253-274. Full Text
- Wirzba, N. "Barnyard dance: farming that honors animals." Christian Century 124, no. 2 (January 23, 2007): 8-9. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. "Throwaway People, Throwaway Land." Books & Culture , no. November/December (2007).
- Wirzba, N. "Humility." The Cresset (2007).
- Wirzba, N. "Time out: a Sabbath sensibility." Christian Century 122, no. 14 (July 12, 2005): 24-28. Link to Item
- Norman Wirzba, . "Time out." The Christian Century 122, no. 14 (2005): 24-. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. "Vocatio in Pianissimo: The Loss and Recovery of Vocation in Contemporary Life." The Cresset (2005).
- Wirzba, N. "Sabbath Farming." Farming Magazine 5, no. 4 (2005): 32-36. (Academic Article)
- Wirzba, N. "Sabbath Environmentalism." Orion (2005).
- Wirzba, N. "The Idea of a Sabbath Economy: A Theological Framework for Economists." The New Pantagruel 1, no. 1 (2004). Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. "The Culture of Food." Christian Reflection , no. 13 (2004): 84-88.
- Wirzba, N. "Lawns in the Kingdom of Heaven." The Christian Century (2004).
- Wirzba, N. "Review of Peter Scott’s A Political Theology of Nature." Pro Ecclesia 13, no. 4 (2004).
- Wirzba, N. "The Feast of Creation." The Cresset , no. Advent/Christmas (2003).
- Wirzba, N. "Curing Our Affluenza: A Review Essay on Consumerism." Christian Reflection (2003).
- Wirzba, N. "Job and the Divine Scale of Creation." Christian Reflection (2002).
- Wirzba, N. "Everyday Delight." Christian Reflection (2002).
- Wirzba, N. "A Plea for Wild Religion." A Global Witness (2001). Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. "Noah and the Ark : Becoming Creation." Living Pulpit 9, no. 2 (April 1, 2000): 28-29. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. "Soil-Cultivating Citizens: An Agrarian Contribution to Political Life." The Land Report (2000).
- Wirzba, N. "Caring and working : An agrarian perspective." Christian Century 116, no. 25 (September 22, 1999): 898-901. Link to Item
- Norman Wirzba, . "Grace at Work: A Review of Wendell Berry’s A Timbered Choir." The Christian Century 115, no. 32 (1998): 1090-1091. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. "Teaching as propaedeutic to religion: The contribution of Levinas and Kierkegaard." International Journal for Philosophy of Religion 39, no. 2 (January 1, 1996): 77-94. Full Text
- Wirzba, N. "From maieutics to metanoia: Levinas's understanding of the philosophical task." Man and World 28, no. 2 (April 1, 1995): 129-144. Full Text
- Wirzba, N. "To feed the world : the contribution of Emmanuel Levinas." Christian Century 108, no. 19 (June 12, 1991): 623-625. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. "The Needs of Thought and the Affirmation of Life(Published online)." International Philosophical Quarterly 37, no. 4: 385-401. Full Text
- Wirzba, N. "Thinking with the Stomach in Mind: Agrarianism and the Future of Philosophy." Contemporary Philosophy XXI , no. 1&2: 42-47.
- Wirzba, N. "Food for Theologians." Interpretation: A Journal of Bible and Theology : October-2013.
- Wirzba, N. "Preparing for Joy." Christian Reflection: Lent .
- Wirzba, N. "Review of Thomas Berry’s The Sacred Universe: Earth, Spirituality, and Religion in the Twenty-First Century (Columbia University Press)." Journal of the American Academy of Religion : August-2011.
- Wirzba, N. "Review of Barry McDonald’s Seeing God Everywhere: Essays on Nature and the Sacred." Temenos Academy Review 7.
- Wirzba, N. "North American Agrarian Theology." In in Creation and Salvation: A Companion on Recent Theological Movements, edited by E Conradie. LIT Verlag, 2012.
- Wirzba, N. "In God’s Garden: Living the Good News in a Changing Climate." In Sacred Acts: The Hopeful Work of Churches to Protect God’s Climate, edited by M McDuf. New Society Publishers, 2012.
- Wirzba, N. "Thanks for the Dirt: Gratitude as the Basis for Environmental Ethics." In Diversity and Dominion: Dialogues in Ecology, Ethics, and Theology, edited by KS Van Houten and M Northcott. Wipf & Stock Publishers, 2010.
- Wirzba, N. "Agrarianism." In Berkshire Encyclopedia of Sustainability: The Spirit of Sustainability, edited by W Jenkins. Berkshire Publishing, 2010.
- Wirzba, N. "Emmanuel Levinas." In World Philosophers and Their Works. Salem Press, 2010.
- Wirzba, N. "Farms." In The Encyclopedia of Environmental Ethics and Philosophy, edited by JB Callicott and R Frodeman. Macmillan Reference, 2009.
- Wirzba, N. "The primacy of love." In Transforming Philosophy and Religion: Love's Wisdom, 15-27. December 1, 2008.
- Wirzba, N. "Agrarianism after modernity: an opening for grace." In After modernity?, 241-258. Waco, Tex: Baylor University Press, 2008. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. "An Economy of Gratitude." In Wendell Berry: Life and Work, 142-155. University Press of Kentucky, 2007. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. "Attention and responsibility: The work of prayer." In The Phenomenology of Prayer, 88-100. January 1, 2005.
- Wirzba, N. "Caring for Creation." In Schools for Conversion: 12 Marks of a New Monasticism, edited by R House. Cascade Books, 2005.
- Wirzba, N. "Introduction: Why agrarianism matters-even to urbanites." , 1-20. December 1, 2003.
- Wirzba, N. "Placing the Soul: An Agrarian Philosophical Principle." In The Essential Agrarian Reader: The Future of Culture, Community, and the Land, edited by N Wirzba. Lexington: University Press of Kentucky, 2003.
- Wirzba, N. "The Enjoyment of God and Creation." In in Food and Faith: Justice, Joy and Daily Bread, edited by M Schut. Living the Good News Press, 2002.
- Wirzba, N. "The Challenge of Berry’s Agrarian Vision." In The Art of the Commonplace. Washington, D.C: Counterpoint Press, 2002.
- Wirzba, N. "Love's reason : from Heideggerian care to Christian charity." In Postmodern philosophy and Christian thought, 246-267. Bloomington: Indiana Univ Pr, 1999. Link to Item
- Wirzba, N. "Dirt, Bodies, and Food: Our Reconciliation with Creation." (2012).
- Wirzba, N. "Gardening with God." (July 12, 2010).
- Norman Wirzba, . "Down to Earth: A Review of Eric Freyfogle’s The New Agrarianism." The Christian Century 118, no. 32 (2001): 44-45. Link to Item
- Teaching & Mentoring
- ENVIRON 593: Independent Studies and Projects 2019
- ENVIRON 899: Master's Project 2019
- ETHICS 890S: Special Topics in Ethics 2019
- PARISH 999: DIRECTED STUDY 2019
- XTIANTHE 812: The Doctrine of Creation and Theological Anthropology 2019
- XTIANTHE 999: Directed Study 2019
- ENGLISH 890S: Special Topics Seminar 2018
- HISTORY 890S-07: Research Topics in Politics, Public Life, The State 2018
- PARISH 807: The Theology and Spirituality of Place 2018
- PARISH 808: Agrarian Theology for an Urban World 2018
- ENVIRON 590: Special Topics 2017
- PARISH 760: Food, Eating, and the Life of Faith 2017
- PARISH 806: Caring for Creation 2017
- XTIANETH 890: Ethical Topics 2017
- XTIANETH 999: DIRECTED STUDY 2017
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.