Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
- Professor with Tenure, Political Science, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 1989 - 2018
- Professor in the Sanford School of Public Policy, Sanford School of Public Policy, Duke University 2014 - 2018
- Provost, Institutes and Provost's Academic Units, Duke University 2004 - 2014
- Provost, Political Science, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 1999 - 2004
- Chair, Political Science, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 1996 - 1999
- Vice Provost for Academic and International Affairs, Duke University 1994 - 1996
- Associate Professor with Tenure, Political Science, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 1982 - 1989
- Visiting Associate Professor, Political Science, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 1981 - 1982
In the News
JUN 12, 2018
MAR 9, 2015
MAY 27, 2014 Duke Magazine
MAY 14, 2014
APR 25, 2014
APR 7, 2014 Durham Herald-Sun
MAR 4, 2014 Durham Herald-Sun
FEB 26, 2014
FEB 20, 2014
AUG 28, 2013
JUL 8, 2013
Awards & Honors
- Extramural Research Facilities Improvement Program awarded by National Institutes of Health 2009 - 2014
- Doctoral Dissertation Research Project - Particularistic Liberalism: Industries, Institutions, and Influence in Liberal awarded by National Science Foundation 2003 - 2005
- Center for Behavioral Neuroscience and Genomics awarded by National Institutes of Health 2002 - 2004
- (98-0491) Dissertation Research: International Financial Markets awarded by National Science Foundation 1998 - 1999
- (96-1050) Mentoring Program awarded by Josiah Charles Trent Memorial Foundation 1996 - 1997
- (93-0477) Trade Unions, Employers' Organizations and Collective Bargaining: Data Collection and Analysis for Nineteen Co awarded by National Science Foundation 1994 - 1996
- (94-0149) Legislative Oversight of Policy Making in Parliamentary Systems awarded by National Science Foundation 1994 - 1995
- (94-0582) The Politics and Political Economy of Contemporary Capitalism awarded by Josiah Charles Trent Memorial Foundation 1994
- (91-0411) Doctoral Dissertation Research in Politics, Markets, and Growth in Advanced Industrial Democracies awarded by National Science Foundation 1991 - 1992
- (91-0397) Collaborative Research in Union Centralization in Advanced Industrial Societies awarded by National Science Foundation 1991 - 1992
- (90-0072) Unions and Films: The Political Economy of 1992 awarded by Josiah Charles Trent Memorial Foundation 1989 - 1990
- (86-0071) Doctoral Dissertation Research in Political Science awarded by National Science Foundation 1986 - 1987
- (86-0104) Doctoral Dissertation Research in Political Science awarded by National Science Foundation 1986 - 1987
- (86-0030) The State and Social Regulation in Contemporary Italy awarded by National Science Foundation 1986 - 1987
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Lange, P, Ross, G, and Vannicelli, M. Unions, change and crisis: French and Italian union strategy and the political economy, 1945-1980. April 14, 2016. Full Text
- Lange, P. State, Market and Social Regulation: New Perspectives on Italy. Edited by P Lange and M Regini. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1989.
- Lange, P. Stato e Regolazione Sociale. Edited by P Lange and M Regini. Bologna: Il Mulino, 1987.
- Lange, P. The Communist Parties of Italy, France and Spain: Post-War Change and Continuity–A Casebook. Edited by P Lange and M Vanicelli. London: Allen and Unwin, 1981.
- Lange, P. Italy in Transition. Edited by P Lange and S Tarrow. London: Frank Cass, 1980.
- Lange, P. Industrial Relations in International Perspective. Edited by P Lange, P Doeringer, P Gourevitch, and A Martin. 1980.
- Leachman, LL, Rosas, G, Lange, P, and Bester, A. "The political economy of budget deficits." Economics and Politics 19, no. 3 (November 1, 2007): 369-420. Full Text
- Leachman, L, Bester, A, Rosas, G, and Lange, P. "Multicointegration and sustainability of fiscal practices." Economic Inquiry 43, no. 2 (September 12, 2005): 454-466. (Review) Full Text Open Access Copy
- Lange, P. "Multicointegration, Sustainability of Fiscal Practices and the Role of Fiscal Institutions (In preparation)." Economic Inquiry (2004).
- Scruggs, L, and Lange, P. "Where have all the members gone? Globalization, institutions, and union density." Journal of Politics 64, no. 1 (January 1, 2002): 126-153. Full Text
- Lange, P, and Scruggs, L. "Where have all the members gone? La sindacalizzazione nell'era della globalizzazione." Stato E Mercato , no. 55 (April 1, 1999): 39-78. (Review) Full Text
- Wallerstein, M, Golden, M, and Lange, P. "Unions, employers' associations, and wage-setting institutions in northern and central Europe, 1950-1992." Industrial and Labor Relations Review 50, no. 3 (January 1, 1997): 379-401. (Review) Full Text
- Davidson-Schmich, PLWL. "European Elections or Elections in Europe? The European Electoral Consequences of European Economic Integration." Il Politico (July 1995).
- Garrett, G, and Lange, P. "Internationalization, Institutions and Political Change." International Organization (1995).
- LANGE, PETER. "Maastricht and the Social Protocol: Why Did They Do It?." Politics & Society 21, no. 1 (March 1993): 5-36. Full Text
- Beck, N, Katz, JN, Alvarez, RM, Garrett, G, and Lange, P. "Government partisanship, labor organization, and macroeconomic performance: A corrigendum." American Political Science Review 87, no. 4 (January 1, 1993): 945-948. Full Text
- Garrett, G, and Lange, P. "Political Responses to Interdependence: What's Left for the Left?." International Organization (October 1991).
- Alvarez, RM, Garrett, G, and Lange, P. "Government Partisanship, Labor Organization, and Macroeconomic Performance." The American Political Science Review 85, no. 2 (June 1991): 539-539. Full Text
- Regini, M, and Lange, P. "Twenty Years after the Hot Autumn: Work and Politics in Italy from Rupture to Change." Labour 4, no. 1 (March 1990): 3-8. Full Text
- Lange, P, Tarrow, S, and Irvin, C. "Social Mobilization and Party Change." British Journal of Political Science (January 1990).
- Garrett, G, and Lange, P. "Government Partisanship and Economic Performance: When and How does "Who Governs" Matter?." The Journal of Politics 51, no. 3 (August 1989): 676-693. Full Text
- Lange, P, and Garrett, G. "The Politics of Growth Reconsidered." The Journal of Politics 49, no. 1 (February 1987): 257-274. Full Text
- Garrett, G, and Lange, P. "Performance in a Hostile World: Economic Growth in Capitalist Democracies, 1974–1982." World Politics 38, no. 04 (July 1986): 517-545. Full Text
- Tarrow, PLWS, and Encole, E. "Phases of Mobilization: Social Movements, Generational Recruitment and Attitudes Towards Dissent in a Sample of Italian Communist Activists." Politica ed Economica 12 (1986).
- Lange, P, and Garrett, G. "The Politics of Growth: Strategic Interaction and Economic Performance in the Advanced Industrial Democracies, 1974-1980." The Journal of Politics 47, no. 3 (August 1985): 792-827. Full Text
- Lange, P. "Soldi e solidarieta: Liberal Corporativismo e regolamentazione dei salari ["Money and Solidarity: Liberal Corporatism and Wage Regulation"]." Stato e Mercato 9 (December 1983).
- Lange, P. "La teoria degli incentive e l'analisi dei partiti politici ("Incentive Theory and the Analysis of Political Parties")." Rassegna Italiana di Sociologia (1981).
- Lange, P. "Crisis and Consent, Change and Compromise: Italian Communism in the 1970s." Italy in Transition and in West European Politics (October 1979).
- Lange, P. "Sindacati, partiti, stato e liberalcorporativismo (Unions, Parties, in the State and Liberal Corporatism." Il Mulino 266 (1979).
- Vannicelli, PLWM. "Carter in the Italian Maze." Foreign Policy (1978).
- Lange, P. "What is to be done--about Italian Communism?." Foreign Policy (1975).
- Lange, P. "La politica delle alleanze del PCI e del PCF." Il Mulino XXIX (1975).
- Lange, P, and Scrugs, L. "Unemployment and Union Density." In Unemployment in the New Europe. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- Lange, P, Golden, M, and Wallerstein, M. "Postwar Trade Union Organization and Industrial Relations in Twelve Countries." In Continuity and Change in Contemporary Capitalism. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- Lange, P, Kitschelt, H, Marks, G, and Stephens, J. "Conclusion: Convergence and Divergence in Advanced Capitalist Democracies"." In Continuity and Change in Contemporary Capitalism. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- Lange, P, Golden, M, and Wallerstein, M. "The End of Corporatism?." In The Workers of Nations: Industrial Relations in a Global Economy, edited by S Jacoby. Oxford University Press, 1995.
- Lange, P, and Tsebelis, G. "Wage Negotiations and Strikes: An Equilibrium Analysis." In Towards a New Science of Politics, edited by WJ Booth, H Meadwell, and P James. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1994.
- Lange, P. "New Dimensions of Research on the European Community." In Stato e Mercato, edited by P Lange. May 1993.
- Lange, P. "The Politics of the Social Dimension: Interests, State and Redistribution of the 1992 Process." In Europolitics, edited by A Sbragia. Washington, D.C.: The Brookings Institution, 1992.
- Lange, P, Keech, W, and Bates, RH. "Political Economy Within Nations." In The Political Science Discipline, edited by W Crotty. Chicago: Northwestern Press, 1991.
- Lange, P. "The Decline of Concertation and the Italian Accords: Some Hyptheses about the Political Roots of Concertation in Italy." In Diritto del Lavoro e corporativismo in Europa: ieri ed oggi. Milan: Franco Angeli, 1988.
- Lange, P, and Regini, M. "'The State and Social Regulation: Concepts and Hypotheses' and 'The State and Social Regulation: Patterns of Change'." In The State and Social Regulation in Italy, edited by P Lange and M Regini. Bologna: Il Mulino, 1987.
- Lange, P. "End of an Era: The Refereundum on the Scala Mobile." In Yearbook of Italian Politics, edited by R Leonardi and R Nanetti. London: Francis Pinter, 1986.
- Lange, P, and Meadwell, H. "Typologies of Democratic Systems: From Political Inputs to Political Economy." In New Directions in Comparative Politics, edited by H Wiarda. Boulder: Westview Press, 1985.
- Lange, P. "Semiperiphery and Core in the European Context: Reflections from the Poswar Italian Experiences." In Semi-Peripheral Development - The Politics of Southern Europe in the 20th Century, edited by G Arrighi. Beverly Hills: Sage Publications, 1985.
- Lange, P. "Unions, Workers and Wage Regulation in Advanced Industrial Democracies: The Rational Bases of Consent." In Order and Conflict in Contemporary Capitalism, edited by J Godthorpe. Lond: Oxford University Press, 1984.
- Lange, P. "Attivismo, ruoli e communicazione politica: il cao del PCI [Activism, Roles and Political Communication: The Case of the PCI]." In L’identita communista, edited by A Accomero and et. al. Rome: Editori Riuniti, 1983.
- Lange, P, Gourevitch, P, and Martin, A. "Industrial Relations and Politics: Some Reflections." In Industrial Relations in International Perspective, edited by P Doeringer, PG ed, P Lange, A Martin, and assoc. London: MacMillan, 1982.
- Lange, P. "Dilemmas of Change: Eurocommunism and National Parties in Postwar Perspective." In The Communist Parties in Itlay, France and Spain: Postwar Change and Continuity–A Casebook. 1981.
- Lange, P. "The PCI and Possible Outcomes of Italy’s Crisis." In La Crisi, edited by S Tarrow and L Graziano. Turin: Einaudi, 1979.
- Lange, P, and Vannicelli, M. "L’America e il PCI: i principi della politica estera americans e la’questione Communista [The United States and the Italian Communist Party: The Principles of American Foreign Policy and the ’Communist Question]." Bologna: Il Mulino, 1978.
- Lange, P. "The French and Italian Communist Parties: Postwar Strategy and Domestic Society." In Radicalism and the Contemporary Age, Volume 3: Strategies and Impact of Contemporary Radicalism, edited by S Bialer. Boulder: Westview Press, 1977.
- Lange, P. "The PCI and the Local Level: A Study of Strategic Performance." In Communism in Italy and France, edited by DLM Blackmer and S Tarrow. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1975.
- Lange, P. "Union Democracy and Liberal Corporatism: Exit, Voice and Wage Regulation in Postwar Europe." (1984).
- Lange, P. "Norwegian Incomes Policy in Comparative Perspective." Testimony to the Joint Economic Committee of the United States’ Congress, October 20, 1981 and printed by the Committee (1982).
- Lange, P. "Voter Turnout in Advnaced Industrial Democracy." Study prepared for the Committee for the Study of the American Electorate (September 1979).
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.