Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
In the News
SEP 16, 2015
JAN 15, 2014 WUNC Radio
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Ginsburg, SP. Rhetoric and nation: The formation of Hebrew national culture, 1880–1990. January 1, 2014.
- Ginsburg, S, and Horowitz, B. Bounded Mind and Soul: Russia and Israel, 1880–2010. Slavica Publishers, 2013.
- Man, PD. The Resistance to Theory. Translated by Shai Ginsburg. Resling, 2010.
- Ginsburg, S. "Rev. of Israeli Cinema: Identities in Motion, edited by Miri Talmon and Yaron Peleg." IMAGES: A Journal of Jewish Art and Visual Culture , no. 8 (2015): 129-132.
- Ginsburg, S. "Jews and Cinema, Stereotypes, and Self-Images. Rev. of The New Jew in Film: Exploring Jewishness and Judaism in Contemporary Cinema by Nathan Abrams." H-Judaic, H-Net Reviews . Link to Item
- Ginsburg, S. "Poetry and Conflict: on Civility, Citizenship and Criticism." In Toward a Critical Rhetoric on the Israel-Palestine Conflict, edited by Matthew Abraham, 152-174. Anderson, S.C.: Parlor Press, 2015. (Chapter)
- Ginsburg, S. "The City and the Body: Jerusalem in Uri Tsvi Greenberg’s Vision of One of the Legions." In Jerusalem Across the Disciplines, edited by M Elman and M Adelman. April 2014.
- Ginsburg, S. "Class and Historical Anxiety: The Rhetoric of Class in David Ben-Gurion’s and Meir Ya’ari’s Thought (in Hebrew)." In Literature and Inequality, edited by A Banbaji and H Hever. The Van Leer Institute, 2014.
- Ginsburg, S. "S. Yizhar’s Khirbet Khizeh and the rhetoric of conflict." In Jewish Rhetorics: History, Theory, Practice, 165-179. January 1, 2014.
- Ginsburg, S. "War and Peace in Israel: Hebrew Literature and Russian Literature in Hebrew, 1942–60." In Bounded Mind and Soul: Russia and Israel, 1880–2010, edited by B Horowitz and S Ginsburg, 131-150. Slavica Publishers, 2013.
- Ginsburg, S. "From Ziklag One Cannot See Khirbet Khizeh." In The Palestinian Nakba in Cinema and Literature, 23-31. 2012.
- Ginsburg, S. "Love in Search of Belief, Belief in Search of Love." In The Modern Jewish Experience in World Cinema, 371-376. 2011.
- Ginsburg, S. "Rhetoric and Criticism: The Work and Life of Paul de Man." In The Resistance to Theory, by Paul de Man (Hebrew Translation). 2010.
- Ginsburg, S. "Truth in the Land of Israel: On the Notion of Truth in the Work of Ahad Ha-‘Am." In A Moment of Birth: Studies in Hebrew and Yiddish Literatures in Honor of Dan Miron, edited by H Hever, 260-275. Jerusalem: Mosad Bialik, 2007.
- Ginsburg, S. "Between Myth and History: Moshe Shamir’s He Walked in the Fields." In Literature and Nation in the Middle East, edited by Y Suleiman and I Muhawi, 110-127. Edinburgh University Press, 2006.
- Ginsburg, S. "Paul de Man’s Death Mask." Mikan , no. 16 (2016): 256-264.
- Paul de Man, . "Autobiography as De-Facement." Translated by S Ginsburg. Miakn , no. 16 (2016): 244-255.
- Ginsburg, SP. "Alon Hilu and the Hebrew Historical Novel." Shofar: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Jewish Studies 33, no. 4 (2015): 134-157. Full Text
- Ginsburg, S. "The Bookcase and the Language of Grace." Mikan 14 (2014): 239-263.
- Ginsburg, S. "The Physics of Being Jewish, or On Cats and Jews." AJS Review 35, no. 02 (November 2011): 357-364. Full Text
- Ginsburg, S. "An American Reflection: Steven Spielberg, the Jewish Holocaust and the Israeli Palestinian Conflict." American Studies 34, no. 1 (2011): 45-76.
- Ginsburg, S. "Studying Violence: The Films of Avi Mograbi (Published online)." Takriv , no. 2 (2011). Link to Item
- Ginsburg, S. "Signs and wonders: Fetishism and hybridity in Homi Bhabha's the location of culture." New Centennial Review 9, no. 3 (December 1, 2009): 229-250. (Review) Full Text
- Ginsburg, . "Politics and Letters: On the Rhetoric of the Nation in Pinsker and Ahad Ha-Am." Prooftexts 29, no. 2 (2009): 173-173. Full Text
- Ginsburg, S. "The Social Function of Israeli Cinema." Zeek (2009): 73-79.
- Ginsburg, S. "Truth in the Land of Israel: On the Notion of Truth in the Work of Ahad Ha-‘Am." Edited by H Hever. (2007): 260-275.
- Ginsburg, S. "Literature, Territory, Criticism: Brenner and the "Erets-Israeli" Genre." Theory and Criticism , no. 30 (2007): 39-62.
- Ginsburg, S. ""The rock of our very existence": Anton Shammas's Arabesques and the rhetoric of Hebrew literature." Comparative Literature 58, no. 3 (June 1, 2006): 187-204. (Review)
- Ginsburg, S. "Between Language and Land: Moshe Smilansky’s ‘Hawaja Nazar’." Jerusalem Studies in Hebrew Literature 20 (2006): 221-235.
- Ginsburg, S. "Between Memory and History: Saul Friedlander as an Autobiographical Writer and as a Historian." Theory and Criticism 17 (2000): 217-222.
- Ginsburg, S. "Hamlet—In search of Language." Efes Shtayim , no. 3 (1995): 153-157.
- Teaching & Mentoring
- AMES 208S: Geopolitics and Culture: from the Islamic State to Afghanistan 2017
- AMES 410S: Trauma and Space in Asia 2017
- AMES 493: Research Independent Study 2017
- AMES 495: Collaborative Research Projects 2017
- AMES 498S: Senior Honors Thesis Seminar 2017
- AMI 263S: Screening the Holocaust: Jews, WWII, and World Cinema 2017
- AMI 309S: Geopolitics and Culture: from the Islamic State to Afghanistan 2017
- AMI 410S: Trauma and Space in Asia 2017
- CULANTH 366S: Trauma and Space in Asia 2017
- ICS 217S: Geopolitics and Culture: from the Islamic State to Afghanistan 2017
- ICS 410S: Trauma and Space in Asia 2017
- JEWISHST 266S: Screening the Holocaust: Jews, WWII, and World Cinema 2017
- LIT 263S: Screening the Holocaust: Jews, WWII, and World Cinema 2017
- TURKISH 209S: Geopolitics and Culture: from the Islamic State to Afghanistan 2017
- AMES 440S: Games and Culture: Politics, Pleasure and Pedagogy 2016
- AMI 89S: First-Year Seminar 2016
- CULANTH 440S: Games and Culture: Politics, Pleasure and Pedagogy 2016
- ICS 440S: Games and Culture: Politics, Pleasure and Pedagogy 2016
- JEWISHST 89S: First Year Seminar 2016
- LIT 440S: Games and Culture: Politics, Pleasure and Pedagogy 2016
- POLSCI 440S: Games and Culture: Politics, Pleasure and Pedagogy 2016
- AMES 245: Introduction to Israeli Culture 2015
- AMES 390: Special Topics 2015
- AMES 541S: Jews and the End of Theory 2015
- AMES 695: Collaborative Research Projects 2015
- AMI 390: Special Topics in Arts of the Moving Image 2015
- ICS 541S: Jews and the End of Theory 2015
- JEWISHST 245: Introduction to Israeli Culture 2015
- JEWISHST 541S: Jews and the End of Theory 2015
- LIT 580S: Jews and the End of Theory 2015
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- Literature, Classroom, War Games. ACLA Annual Meeting. March 20, 2016 2016
- Dan Miron: Late Poetics and Politics. A Conference in Honor of Dan Miron’s 80th Birthday. December 30, 2014 2014
- Rhetoric and Nation: The Formation of Hebrew National Culture, 1880-1990. Carolina Center for Jewish Studies. November 3, 2014 2014
- Europe and Israel: Baruch Kurzweil and Modern Hebrew Literature. Hebrew Literature: Self-Reflection and History. May 13, 2014 2014
- Literature, Polity, and the Israeli Palestinian Conflict. Department of Near Eastern Studies, Cornell University. March 10, 2014 2014
- Theory and Hebrew Literary Criticism. The Critic, Graduate Students Study Group. December 27, 2013 2013
- Jerusalem in the Poetry of Uri Tsvi Grinberg. The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. December 25, 2013 2013
- Philosophy and Divine Violence. AJS Annual Conference. December 16, 2013 2013
- No Country for Heroes. A Look from the Inside, a Look from the Outside: The Hero—The Second International Conference on Israeli Documentary Cinema. July 8, 2013 2013
- Israeli Cinema: Jewish, European, Christian. June 13, 2012 2012
- Now and then: History reimagined/unimagined. March 5, 2012 2012
- Arabesques Facing the Bookcase. November 24, 2011 2011
- The State, the Holocaust and the Israeli Palestinian Conflict: Steven Spielberg and the changing American vision. December 15, 2010 2010
- All Quiet Flows the Jordan: Hebrew War Literature and Russian Literature, 1942-1960. June 2, 2010 2010
- Novel and City: Ya’akov Shabtai’s Past Continuous. May 26, 2010 2010
- Anton Shammas, Language of Grace and Broken Vessel. March 19, 2010 2010
- What’s in the Name? Derrida’s Specters of Marx. February 21, 2010 2010
- War and Peace in Israel. February 15, 2009 2009
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.