Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
- Director in the Asian Pacific Studies Institute, Asian Pacific Studies Institute, Office of Area Studies and International Studies 2009 - 2015
- Associate Professor of History, History, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2003 - 2011
- Assistant Professor of History, History, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 1998 - 2003
In the News
JUL 29, 2015 the (Toronto) Globe and Mail
JUL 29, 2015 The Globe and Mail
APR 1, 2015
FEB 4, 2015 Toronto Globe and Mail
JAN 28, 2015
Awards & Honors
- Humboldt Research Award. Humboldt Foundation. 2015
- Partnership in a Global Age. Mellon Foundation. 2013
- Japan Foundation Fellowship. Japan Foundation. 2005
- Smith Faculty Enrichment Fellowship. Duke University. 2003
- Rikkyo University Visiting Professorship. Rikkyo University. 2000
- Traditional Fulbright Scholarship. Council for International Exchange of Scholars. 2000
- Project GO: ROTC Chinese Language Initiative awarded by Institute for International Education 2012 - 2015
- Asian Pacific Studies Institute (NRC) awarded by Department of Education 2010 - 2015
- Creation of Triangle Center for Japanese Studies awarded by Japan Foundation 2011 - 2014
- National Resource Centers awarded by Department of Education 2006 - 2011
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Partner, S. The Merchant's Tale Yokohama and the Transformation of Japan. : Columbia University Press, December 19, 2017.
- Jackson, E, and Partner, S. Bull City Survivor: Standing up to a Hard Life in a Southern City. MacFarland & Company, Inc., 2013. (Monograph)
- Partner, S. The Mayor of Aihara: A Japanese Villager and His Community, 1865-1925. University of California Press, May 2009.
- Partner, S. Toshie: A Story of Rural Life in Twentieth Century Japan. University of California Press, 2004.
- Partner, S. Assembled in Japan: Electrical Goods and the Making of the Japanese Consumer. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1999.
- Partner, S. Saying Yes to Japanese Investment. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall, 1992.
- Partner, S. Mergers and Acquisitions Manual. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall, 1991.
- Partner, S. "Daily Life of Civilians in Wartime Japan, 1937-45." In The Daily Lives of Civilians in Wartime Asia, edited by S Lone. Greenwood Press, 2007.
- Partner, S. "Daily Life in Wartime Japan, 1940-1945." JOURNAL OF JAPANESE STUDIES 43, no. 1 (2017): 189-193. Full Text Link to Item
- Partner, S. "Brewed in Japan: The Evolution of the Japanese Beer Industry." JOURNAL OF JAPANESE STUDIES 41, no. 2 (2015): 392-397. Full Text Link to Item
- Partner, S. "Review of Fabricating Consumers: The Sewing Machine in Modern Japan by Andrew Gordon." Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies 73 (June 2013): 211-215. (Review)
- Partner, S. "Fabricating Consumers: The Sewing Machine in Modern Japan." HARVARD JOURNAL OF ASIATIC STUDIES 73, no. 1 (June 2013): 211-215. Full Text Link to Item
- Partner, S. "Review of Rural Economic Development in Japan: From the Nineteenth Century to the Pacific War by Penelope Francks." The Journal of Japanese Studies 34, no. 1 (January 2008): 106-109. (Review) Full Text
- Partner, S. "Peasants into citizens? The Meiji village in the Russo-Japanese War." MONUMENTA NIPPONICA 62, no. 2 (2007): 179-209. Full Text Link to Item
- Partner, S. "Review of Isami's house: Three centuries of a Japanese family by Gail Bernstein." JOURNAL OF INTERDISCIPLINARY HISTORY 38, no. 2 (2007): 339-340. (Review) Full Text Link to Item
- Partner, S. "Review of Bad Youth: Juvenile Delinquency and the Politics of Everyday Life in Modern Japan by David Ambaras." Monumenta Nipponica 62, no. 3 (January 2007): 372-374. (Review) Full Text
- Partner, S. "Review of Community and State in the Japanese Farm Village by Dimitri Vanoverbeke." Monumenta Nipponica 60 (December 2005). (Review)
- Partner, S. "Community and state in the Japanese farm village: Farm Tenancy Conciliation, 1924-1938." MONUMENTA NIPPONICA 60, no. 4 (2005): 533-535. Full Text Link to Item
- Partner, S. "Review of Autobiography of a Geisha by Sayo Masuda." MONUMENTA NIPPONICA 59, no. 1 (2004): 143-145. (Review) Link to Item
- Partner, S. "Review of A Time of Crisis by Kerry Smith." Agricultural History 76 (2002): 713-715. (Review)
- Partner, S. "A time of crisis: Japan, the great depression, and rural revitalization." AGRICULTURAL HISTORY 76, no. 4 (2002): 713-715. Link to Item
- Partner, S. "Taming the Wilderness: The Lifestyle Improvement Movement in Twentieth Century Japan." Monumenta Nipponica 56 (December 2001).
- Partner, S. "Taming the wilderness: the lifestyle improvement movement in rural Japan, 1925-1965." Monum Nihon 56, no. 4 (2001): 487-520. Link to Item
- Partner, S. "Brightening Country Lives: Selling Electrical Goods in the Japanese Countryside, 1950–1970." Enterprise and Society 1, no. 04 (December 2000): 762-784. Full Text
- Partner, S. "Brightening Country Lives: Selling Electrical Goods in the Japanese Countryside." Enterprise And Society 1 (December 2000).
- Partner, S. "Review of Culture and Technology in Modern Japan: Ian Inkster and Kumihiko Satofuka, eds." Edited by I Inkster and F Satofuka. Waseda Journal of Asian Studies 22 (2000). (Review)
- Partner, S. "Embracing defeat: Japan in the wake of World War II." MONUMENTA NIPPONICA 55, no. 1 (2000): 128-129. (Review) Full Text Link to Item
- Partner, S. "Review of Japan’s Postwar Economy: Erich Pauer, ed." Monumenta Nipponica 54 (September 1999). (Review)
- Partner, S. "Review of Sengo Nihon no Nögyöshi [A Postwar History of Japanese Agriculture] by Ino Ryüichi." Social Science Japan Journal 6 (1999). (Review)
- Partner, S. "Japan's war economy." MONUMENTA NIPPONICA 54, no. 3 (1999): 403-405. Full Text Link to Item
- Partner, S. "Manufacturing Desire: The “Electrical Lifestyle” and the Nurturing of the Japanese Consumer." Social Science Japan 12 (March 1998).
- "Daily Life of Civilians in Wartime Japan, 1937-45." Edited by S Lone. (2007).
- Teaching & Mentoring
- AMES 167: Ancient and Early Modern Japan 2018
- AMES 390A: Duke-Administered Study Abroad: Advanced Special Topics in Asian and Middle Eastern Studies 2018
- AMES 504S: East Asia's Twentieth Century 2018
- HISTORY 226: Ancient and Early Modern Japan 2018
- HISTORY 390A-12: Duke in Venice: Special Topics on History 2018
- HISTORY 393: Research Independent Study 2018
- HISTORY 504S: East Asia's Twentieth Century 2018
- ICS 390A: Duke-Administered Study Abroad: Advanced Special Topics in International Comparative Studies 2018
- AMES 267: Ancient and Early Modern Japan 2017
- AMES 269: The Emergence of Modern Japan 2017
- HISTORY 159S: GTWY SEM: What Did Your Grandparents Do? A Global Exploration of Individual Life Histories 2017
- HISTORY 227: The Emergence of Modern Japan 2017
- HISTORY 791: Reading Topics: Independent Study 2017
- HISTORY 792: Reading Topics-Independent Study 2017
- HISTORY 518S: Merchants, Coolies, Prostitutes: The Treaty Ports of Nineteenth Century East Asia 2016
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- Japan's Global Peace Moment. Meiji Japan in Global History. Duke University. November 2017 2017
- Dreams Deferred: A Japanese Villager and her Community, 1925-1970. Vienna University. June 2016 2016
- Japan in the Eyes of the World: Visual Culture in 19th Century Yokohama. Heidelberger Kunstverein. May 2016 2016
- Reluctant Embrace: Bodily Encounters in the Yokohama Treaty Port. Heidelberg University. May 2016 2016
- Marketing the Japanese Economic Miracle: The Case of the Electrical Goods Industry. Haifa University. March 2016 2016
- Transformative Spaces of 19th Century East Asia: A Japanese Merchant’s Experience of Treaty Port Yokohama. Goettingen University. March 2016 2016
- Media, visual culture, performance: Contesting and creating “Japan” in 1860’s Yokohama. Heidelberg University. January 2016 2016
- Small Town, Big Dreams: Yokohama Merchants in the 1860s. Harvard University Japan Forum. April 2015 2015
- In the Land of the Gods. Duke University Asian/Pacific Studies Center. December 2012 2012
- Mummies, Mudras and Madmen: In Search of God in the Mountains of Japan. . UNC. December 2012 2012
- Postwar Japan as History. November 25, 2011 2011
- The Dance of Heavenly Wisdom. January 14, 2011 2011
- Mummies, Mudras and Madmen. December 3, 2010 2010
- Mummies, Mudras and Madmen: In Search of God in the Mountains of Japan. December 3, 2010 2010
- More Sons to Give: Individual, Village, and Nation in the Russo-Japanese War. October 4, 2010 2010
- Travel Narratives of East Asia. November 12, 2009 2009
- The Gods of Izumo. November 2, 2009 2009
- Toshie: The Transformation of the Japanese Countryside, 1925-1975. November 13, 2008 2008
- Peasants into Citizens? A Japanese Village at the time of the Russo-Japanese War. May 1, 2008 2008
- Fuqua Business School Lecture on Japan. April 29, 2008 2008
- NCTAN Teachers' Workshop. March 30, 2008 2008
- Electrical Goods and the Making of the Japanese Consumer. March 1, 2008 2008
Outreach & Engaged Scholarship
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.