Education, Training, & Certifications
- M.A., George Mason University 1990
Duke Appointment History
- Clinical Associate in the Department of Community and Family Medicine, Community and Family Medicine, Occupational & Environmental Medicine, Community and Family Medicine 2000 - 2009
- Effectiveness of patient lift equipment awarded by National Institutes of Health 2005 - 2010
- Surveillance Methods for Health Care and Related Workers awarded by National Institutes of Health 2001 - 2006
- Work and Health Disparaties Among Rural Women awarded by National Institutes of Health 2000 - 2006
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Schoenfisch, AL, Kucera, KL, Lipscomb, HJ, McIlvaine, J, Becherer, L, James, T, and Avent, S. "Use of Assistive Devices to Lift, Transfer, and Reposition Hospital Patients." Nursing Research 68, no. 1 (January 2019): 3-12. Full Text
- Kucera, KL, Schoenfisch, AL, McIlvaine, J, Becherer, L, James, T, Yeung, Y-L, Avent, S, and Lipscomb, HJ. "Factors associated with lift equipment use during patient lifts and transfers by hospital nurses and nursing care assistants: A prospective observational cohort study." International Journal of Nursing Studies 91 (December 31, 2019): 35-46. Full Text
- Joines, S, James, T, Liu, S, Wang, W, Dunn, R, and Cohen, S. "Adjustable task lighting: Field study assesses the benefits in an office environment." Work (Reading, Mass.) 51, no. 3 (January 2015): 471-481. Full Text
- Hedge, A, and James, T. "Detrimental effects of an electronic health records system on musculoskeletal symptoms among health professionals." Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 2014-January (January 1, 2014): 773-777. Full Text Open Access Copy
- Hedge, A, and James, T. "Gender effects on musculoskeletal symptoms among physician computer users in outpatient diagnostic clinics." Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (December 1, 2012): 887-891. Full Text
- James, T, Joines, S, Dunn, R, Liu, S, and Wang, W. "Assessment of the benefits of adjustable task lighting in office environments." Contemporary Ergonomics and Human Factors 2011 (December 1, 2011): 493-494.
- Schoenfisch, AL, Pompeii, LA, Myers, DJ, James, T, Yeung, Y-L, Fricklas, E, Pentico, M, and Lipscomb, HJ. "Objective measures of adoption of patient lift and transfer devices to reduce nursing staff injuries in the hospital setting." Am J Ind Med 54, no. 12 (December 2011): 935-945. Full Text Link to Item
- Schoenfisch, AL, Lipscomb, HJ, Myers, DJ, Fricklas, E, and James, T. "A lift assist team in an acute care hospital-prevention of injury or transfer of risk during patient-handling tasks?." AAOHN J 59, no. 8 (August 2011): 329-334. Full Text Link to Item
- Hedge, A, James, T, and Pavlovic-Veselinovic, S. "Ergonomics concerns and the impact of healthcare information technology." International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 41, no. 4 (July 1, 2011): 345-351. Full Text
- Lu, M-L, James, T, Lowe, B, Barrero, M, and Kong, Y-K. "An investigation of hand forces and postures for using selected mechanical pipettes." International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 38, no. 1 (January 2008): 18-29. Full Text
- James, T. "A comparison of tradtional and alternative pipettes: Comfort and preference." 8th Annual Applied Ergonomics Conference Proceedings (December 1, 2005): 161-196.
- Lipscomb, HJ, Argue, R, McDonald, MA, Dement, JM, Epling, CA, James, T, Wing, S, and Loomis, D. "Exploration of work and health disparities among black women employed in poultry processing in the rural south." Environmental Health Perspectives 113, no. 12 (December 2005): 1833-1840. Full Text
- Dement, JM, Pompeii, LA, Østbye, T, Epling, C, Lipscomb, HJ, James, T, Jacobs, MJ, Jackson, G, and Thomann, W. "An integrated comprehensive occupational surveillance system for health care workers." Am J Ind Med 45, no. 6 (June 2004): 528-538. Full Text Link to Item
- James, T, Lamar, S, Marker, T, and Frederick, L. "An intervention study comparing traditional and ergonomic microscopes." Proceedings of the Xivth Triennial Congress of the International Ergonomics Association and 44th Annual Meeting of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Association, 'Ergonomics for the New Millennium' (December 1, 2000): 31-34.
- James, T, Ward, DA, and Farmer, SR. "Evidence for applying ergonomic principles to the design of new facilities." Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 1 (December 1, 1998): 644-645.
- James, TM. "Ergonomic approach to modifying microscope design for increased comfort: a case study." Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 1 (January 1, 1995): 573-577.
- Clamann, M, Gil, GH, Kaber, D, Zhu, B, Swangnetr, M, Jeon, W, Zhang, Y, Qin, X, Ma, W, Tupler, LA, and Lee, YS. "Assessment of a virtual reality-based haptic simulation for motor skill training." In Advances in Human Aspects of Healthcare, 515-524. January 1, 2012. Full Text
- Wiggermann, N, Hallbeck, S, James, T, Kumpar, D, Williamson, R, and Wolf, L. "Preventing our caregivers from becoming patients - Challenges, successes, and trends faced by hospital risk managers and ergonomists." January 1, 2016. Full Text
- James, TM. "An Ergonomic Approach to Modifying Microscope Design for Increased Comfort: A Case Study." : SAGE Publications, October 1995. Full Text
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Service to the Profession
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.