Markers of oxidative status in a clinical model of oxidative assault: a pilot study in human blood following doxorubicin administration.

Journal Article (Journal Article)

We used doxorubicin-based chemotherapy as a clinical model for oxidative assault. Study recruited 23 breast cancer patients and collected blood samples before (T0), at 1 (T1) and 24 hours (T24) after treatment administration. Measurements included protein carbonyl content (PPCC), malondialdehyde (MDA), and alpha- and gamma-tocopherols in plasma and total glutathione content in erythrocytes (erGSHt). In all subjects, PPCC and MDA levels did not change. erGSHt levels increased at T24 by 8% (p=0.03). Levels of alpha, gamma, and total tocopherols progressively decreased by 7%-15% (p <0.05). In subjects with low erGSHt levels (below median), PPCC mean levels progressively increased from 0.35 (T0) to 0.56 (T1) and 0.72 nmol carbonyl/mg protein (T24) (p =0.2). These results indicate that (1) plasma MDA is not a sensitive biomarker in humans; (2) PPCC potentially may be used, if antioxidant reserves are taken into account; (3) antioxidant reserves play an important role in the reaction to oxidative stress.

Full Text

Duke Authors

Cited Authors

  • Il'yasova, D; Mixon, G; Wang, F; Marcom, PK; Marks, J; Spasojevich, I; Craft, N; Arredondo, F; DiGiulio, R

Published Date

  • August 2009

Published In

Volume / Issue

  • 14 / 5

Start / End Page

  • 321 - 325

PubMed ID

  • 19476408

Pubmed Central ID

  • PMC2716435

Electronic International Standard Serial Number (EISSN)

  • 1366-5804

Digital Object Identifier (DOI)

  • 10.1080/13547500902946757


  • eng

Conference Location

  • England