Education, Training, & Certifications
- Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley 2003
Duke Appointment History
In the News
JUN 8, 2018
SEP 21, 2017
- Conducting Polymer Nanowires for Neural Modulation awarded by National Institutes of Health 2015 - 2019
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Morris, JD, and Payne, CK. "Microscopy and Cell Biology: New Methods and New Questions." Annual Review of Physical Chemistry (March 18, 2019). Full Text
- Jayaram, DT, Pustulka, SM, Mannino, RG, Lam, WA, and Payne, CK. "Protein Corona in Response to Flow: Effect on Protein Concentration and Structure." Biophysical Journal 115, no. 2 (July 2018): 209-216. Full Text
- Runa, S, Hussey, M, and Payne, CK. "Nanoparticle-Cell Interactions: Relevance for Public Health." The Journal of Physical Chemistry. B 122, no. 3 (January 2018): 1009-1016. (Review) Full Text
- Thourson, SB, and Payne, CK. "Modulation of action potentials using PEDOT:PSS conducting polymer microwires." Scientific Reports 7, no. 1 (December 2017). Full Text Open Access Copy
- Runa, S, Lakadamyali, M, Kemp, ML, and Payne, CK. "TiO2 Nanoparticle-Induced Oxidation of the Plasma Membrane: Importance of the Protein Corona." The journal of physical chemistry. B 121, no. 37 (September 2017): 8619-8625. Full Text
- Morris, JD, Thourson, SB, Panta, KR, Flanders, BN, and Payne, CK. "Conducting polymer nanowires for control of local protein concentration in solution." Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 50, no. 17 (May 4, 2017): 174003-174003. Full Text
- Flores, JJ, Payne, CK, and Morris, JD. "Heme protein-mediated synthesis of PEDOT: PSS: enhancing conductivity by inhibiting heme degradation." RSC Advances 7, no. 20 (2017): 12017-12021.
- Jayaram, DT, Luo, Q, Thourson, SB, Finlay, A, and Payne, CK. "Controlling the resting membrane potential of cells with conducting polymer microwires." Small (2017): #1700789-.
- Jayaram, DT, Runa, S, Kemp, ML, and Payne, CK. "Nanoparticle-induced oxidation of corona proteins initiates an oxidative stress response in cells." Nanoscale 9 (2017): 7595-7601.
- Morris, JD, Wong, KM, Peñaherrera, CD, and Payne, CK. "Mechanism of the biomolecular synthesis of PEDOT: PSS: importance of heme degradation by hydrogen peroxide." Biomaterials science (2016).
- Runa, S, Khanal, D, Kemp, ML, and Payne, CK. "TiO2 nanoparticles alter the expression of peroxiredoxin antioxidant genes." Journal of Physical Chemistry C 120 (2016): 20736-20742.
- Morris, JD, Khanal, D, Richey, JA, and Payne, CK. "Hemoglobin-mediated synthesis of PEDOT: PSS: enhancing conductivity through biological oxidants." Biomaterials Science 3, no. 3 (2015): 442-445.
- Warren, EAK, Netterfield, TS, Sarkar, S, Kemp, ML, and Payne, CK. "Spatially-resolved intracellular sensing of hydrogen peroxide in living cells." Scientific reports 5 (2015): #16929-.
- Warren, EAK, and Payne, CK. "Cellular binding of nanoparticles disrupts the membrane potential." RSC Advances 5 (2015): 13660-13666.
- Fleischer, CC, and Payne, CK. "Secondary Structure of Corona Proteins Determines the Cell Surface Receptors Used by Nanoparticles." Journal of Physical Chemistry B 118 (2014): 14017-14026.
- Fleischer, CC, and Payne, CK. "Nanoparticle-cell interactions: Molecular structure of the protein corona and cellular outcomes." Accounts of Chemical Research 47 (2014): 2651-2659.
- Hill, A, and Payne, CK. "Impact of serum proteins on MRI contrast agents: Cellular binding and T2 relaxation." RSC Advances 4, no. 60 (2014): 31735-31744.
- Morris, JD, and Payne, CK. "Tuning PEDOT:PSS conductivity with iron oxidants." Organic Electronics 15 (2014): 1701-1710.
- Runa, S, Hill, A, Cochran, VL, and Payne, CK. "PEGylated nanoparticles: protein corona and secondary structure." Proc. SPIE, Physical Chemistry of Interfaces and Nanomaterials XIII 9165 (2014): 1F1-IF8.
- Sarkar, S, Payne, CK, and Kemp, ML. "Conditioned Media Downregulates Nuclear Expression of Nrf2." Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering 6, no. 2 (June 2013): 130-137. Full Text
- Fleischer, CC, Kumar, U, and Payne, CK. "Cellular binding of anionic nanoparticles is inhibited by serum proteins independent of nanoparticle composition." Biomaterials Science 1 (2013): 975-982.
- Hira, SM, and Payne, CK. "Protein-mediated synthesis of the conducting polymer PEDOT:PSS." Synthetic Metals 176 (2013): 104-107.
- Shin, EH, Li, Y, Kumar, U, Sureka, HV, Zhang, X, and Payne, CK. "Membrane potential mediates the cellular binding of nanoparticles." Nanoscale 5, no. 13 (2013): 5879-5879. Full Text
- Reddie, KG, Humphries, WH, Bain, CP, Payne, CK, Kemp, ML, and Murthy, N. "Fluorescent Coumarin Thiols Measure Biological Redox Couples." Organic Letters 14, no. 3 (February 3, 2012): 680-683. Full Text
- Doorley, GW, and Payne, CK. "Nanoparticles act as protein carriers during cellular internalization." Chem. Commun. 48 (2012): 2961-2963.
- Fleischer, CC, and Payne, CK. "Nanoparticle surface charge mediates the cellular receptors used by protein-nanoparticle complexes." Journal of Physical Chemistry B 116 (2012): 8901-8907.
- Humphries, WH, and Payne, CK. "Imaging lysosomal enzyme activity in live cells using self-quenched substrates." Analytical Biochemistry 424 (2012): 178-183.
- Humphries, WH, Szymanski, CJ, and Payne, CK. "Endo-lysosomal vesicles positive for Rab7 and LAMP1 are terminal vesicles for the transport of dextran." PLoS One 6 (2011): e26626-.
- Szymanski, CJ, Humphries, IV, WH, and Payne, CK. "Single particle tracking as a method to resolve differences in highly colocalized proteins." The Analyst 136, no. 17 (2011): 3527-3527. Full Text
- Humphries IV, WH, Fay, NC, and Payne, CK. "Intracellular degradation of low-density lipoprotein probed with two-color fluorescence microscopy." Integrative Biology 2, no. 10 (2010): 536-536. Full Text
- Hess, GT, Humphries, WH, Fay, NC, and Payne, CK. "Cellular binding, motion, and internalization of synthetic gene delivery polymers." Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Cell Research 1773, no. 10 (October 2007): 1583-1588. Full Text
- Payne, CK, Jones, SA, Chen, C, and Zhuang, X. "Internalization and Trafficking of Cell Surface Proteoglycans and Proteoglycan-Binding Ligands." Traffic 8, no. 4 (April 2007): 389-401. Full Text
- Payne, CK. "Imaging gene delivery with fluorescence microscopy." Nanomedicine 2 (2007): 847-860. Full Text
- Shanoski, JE, Payne, CK, Kling, MF, Glascoe, EA, and Harris, CB. "Ultrafast Infrared Mechanistic Studies of the Interaction of 1-Hexyne with Group 6 Hexacarbonyl Complexes." Organometallics 24, no. 8 (April 2005): 1852-1859. Full Text
- Hayden, O, and Payne, CK. "Nanophotonic Light Sources for Fluorescence Spectroscopy and Cellular Imaging." Angewandte Chemie International Edition 44, no. 9 (February 18, 2005): 1395-1398. Full Text
- Szymanski, CJ, Yi, H, Liu, JT, Wright, ER, and Payne, CK. "Imaging intracellular quantum dots: Fluorescence microscopy and transmission electron microscopy." In Nanobiotechnology Protocols, edited by SJ Rosenthal and DX Wright. New York, NY: Humana Press, 2013.
- Rana, MA, Yao, N, Mukhopadhyay, S, Zhang, F, Warren, EAK, and Payne, CK. "Modeling the effect of nanoparticles and the bistability of transmembrane potential in nonexcitable cells." American Control Conference. Boston, MA, 2016.
- Mukhopadhyay, S, Zhang, F, Warren, E, and Payne, CK. "A model for controlling the resting membrane potential of cells using nanoparticles." 53rd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control. Boston, MA, 2014.
- Teaching & Mentoring
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.