Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
Awards & Honors
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Heydt-Stevenson, J, and Sussman, C. Preface. January 1, 2010. Full Text
- Heydt-Stevenson, J, and Sussman, C. Recognizing the romantic novel: New histories of British fiction, 1780–1830. January 1, 2010. Full Text
- Sussman, CS. Imagining the British Population: British Literature in an Age of Mass Migration 1660-1838. 2005.
- Sussman, CS. Consuming Anxieties: Consumer Protest, Gender, and British Slavery, 1713-1833. Stanford University Press, 2000.
- Heydt-Stevenson, J, and Sussman, C. "‘Launched upon the sea of moral and political inquiry’: The ethical experiments of the romantic novel." Recognizing the Romantic Novel: New Histories of British Fiction, 1780-1830. January 1, 2010. 13-48. Full Text
- Sussman, CS. "The Empty Spaces of The Heart of Midlothian: Nation, Narration and Depopulation." Nineteenth-Century Literature Criticism. The Gale Group, 2007.
- Sussman, CS. "Memory and Mobility: Fictions of Population in Defoe, Goldsmith and Scott." The Eighteenth-Century Novel: Companion to Literature and Culture. Ed. P Backscheider and C Ingrassia. Oxford: Blackwell, 2005. 191-214.
- Sussman, CS. "Stories for the Keepsake." The Cambridge Companion to Mary Shelley. Ed. E Schor. Cambridge University Press, 2003. 163-180.
- Sussman, CS. "Reading, Praying and Politics: Women’s Private Reading and Political Action, Some Evidence 1640-1840." Radicalism in British Literary Culture, 1650-1830: From Revolution to Revolution. Ed. N Smith and T Morton. Cambridge University Press, 2002. 133-151.
- Sussman, CS. "The Other Problem with Women: Reproduction and Slave Culture in Aphra Behn’s ’Oroonoko’." Rereading Aphra Behn: History, Theory and Criticism. Ed. H Hunter. University of Virginia Press, 1993. 212-231.
- Sussman, C. "Epic, Exile, and the Global: Felicia Hemans's The Forest Sanctuary." Nineteenth-Century Literature 65.4 (March 2011): 481-512. Full Text
- Sussman, C. "Time Wandering: Problems of Witnessing in the Romantic-Era Novel." Novel: A Forum on Fiction 43.1 (March 1, 2010): 140-147. Full Text
- Sussman, CS. "Review of Christopher Leslie Brown, Moral Capital." Social History 33 (February 2008): 80-82. (Review)
- Sussman, CS. "Life and Letters in the City." The Eighteenth Century: Theory and Interpretation 47 (June 2007). (Review)
- Sussman, CS. "A Cultural History of English Literature, 1660-1789." (2007).
- Sussman, C. "The colonial afterlife of political arithmetic: Swift, demography, and mobile populations." Cultural Critique 56 (December 1, 2004): 96-126. (Review)
- Sussman, C. "“Islanded in the World”: Cultural Memory and Human Mobility in The Last Man." PMLA 118.2 (March 2003): 286-301. Full Text
- Sussman, CS. "The Empty Spaces of The Heart of Midlothian: Nation, Narration and Depopulation." Eighteenth-Century Fiction 15.1 (October 2002): 105-126.
- Sussman, CS. "The Art of Oblivion: Charlotte Smith and Helen of Troy." Studies in Eighteenth-Century Culture 27 (1998): 131-147.
- Sussman, CS. "Lismahago’s Captivity: Transculturaion in Humphry Clinker." ELH 61 (1994): 597-618.
- Sussman, CS. "Women and the Politics of Sugar, 1792." Representations 48: 48-69.
- Sussman, CS. "’I Wonder whether poor Miss Sally Godfrey be living or dead’: The Married Woman and the Rise of the Novel." Diacritics 20.1: 88-102.
- Heydt-Stevenson, J. "Recognizing the Romantic Novel: New Histories of British Literature." (November 2008).
- Teaching & Mentoring
- ENGLISH 390S-7: Special Topics in Language and Literature 2018
- ENGLISH 497: Distinction Critical Research Independent Study 2018
- ENGLISH 590S-2: Special Topics Seminar II 2018
- ENGLISH 890T: Tutorial in Special Topics 2018
- ENGLISH 246: Jane Austen 2017
- ENGLISH 398: Digital Media Internship 2017
- ENGLISH 498: Distinction Critical Research Independent Study 2017
- ENGLISH 184S: Readings in Genre 2016
- ENGLISH 540S: Special Topics in Restoration and Eighteenth-Century Literature (DS3) 2016
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances