Education, Training, & Certifications
- Ph.D., Duke University 2004
Duke Appointment History
In the News
MAY 16, 2016 VietNamNet Bridge
MAR 21, 2016 The New York Times Company
JAN 25, 2016 Reuters
OCT 8, 2015
SEP 4, 2014 Bloomberg Businessweek
JUL 18, 2014 South China Morning Post
JUN 30, 2014 The New York Times
JUN 6, 2014 The Washington Post
JUN 3, 2014 the Washington Post
JUN 3, 2014 The Washington Post
Awards & Honors
- Doctoral Dissertation Research - Behavioral Traits and Political Selection in Authoritarian Ruling Parties awarded by National Science Foundation 2018 - 2019
- Myanmar Social and Economic Governance Index (MYSEGI) awarded by Asia Foundation 2017 - 2019
- SEAREG awarded by Henry Luce Foundation, Inc. 2014 - 2018
- "Participation and Regulatory Compliance in Vietnam: A Field Experiment" awarded by Massachusetts Institute of Technology 2014 - 2015
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Jensen, NM, and Malesky, EJ. Incentives to pander: How politicians use corporate welfare for political gain. March 15, 2018. Full Text
- Stromseth, JR, Malesky, EJ, Gueorguiev, DD, Hairong, L, Xixin, W, and Brinton, C. China's governance puzzle: Enabling transparency and participation in a single-party state. February 27, 2017. Full Text
- Jensen, NM, Biglaiser, G, Li, Q, Malesky, E, Pinto, PM, Pinto, SM, and Staats, JL. Politics and foreign direct investment. December 1, 2012.
- Malesky, EJ. "Manipulating elites." In Ethics and Experiments: Problems and Solutions for Social Scientists and Policy Professionals, 217-226. December 22, 2015. Full Text
- McCulloch, N, and Malesky, E. "What determines the quality of subnational economic governance? Comparing Indonesia and Vietnam." In Regional Dynamics in a Decentralized Indonesia, 208-229. January 1, 2014.
- Abrami, RM, Malesky, EJ, and Zheng, Y. "Vietnam Through Chinese Eyes: Divergent Accountability in Single-Party Regimes." September 30, 2013.
- Malesky, EJ. "Interest Group Politics." In Handbook of Safeguarding Global Financial Stability, 59-68. August 29, 2013. Full Text
- Gehlbach, S, and Malesky, EJ. "The Grand Experiment that Wasn’t? New Institutional Economics and the Postcommunist Experience." In Economic Institutions, Rights, Growth, and Sustainability: the Legacy of Douglass North, edited by S Galiani and I Sened. Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- MALESKY, EJ. "Political Economy of Financial Globalization: Globalization of Finance and Interest Group Politics." In The Encyclopedia of Financial Globalization. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Malesky, EJ. "Provincial Governance and Foreign Direct Investment in Vietnam." In Twenty Years of Foreign Investment in Vietnam, edited by SE Times. Knowledge Publishing House, 2008.
- Malesky, EJ. "The Vietnam War." In International encyclopedia of the social sciences, edited by WA Darity, 612-617. Macmillan Reference USA, 2008.
- Malesky, EJ. "Push, Pull, and Reinforcing: The Channels of FDI Influence on Provincial Governance in Vietnam." In Beyond Hanoi: Local Governance in Vietnam, edited by B Kerkvliet and D Marr, 285-333. nstitute for South East Asian Studies and NIAS Press, 2004.
- Jensen, NM, and Malesky, EJ. "Nonstate Actors and Compliance with International Agreements: An Empirical Analysis of the OECD Anti-Bribery Convention." International Organization 72, no. 01 (2018): 33-69. Full Text
- Becker, J, and Malesky, E. "The Continent or the “Grand Large”? Strategic Culture and Operational Burden-Sharing in NATO." International Studies Quarterly 61, no. 1 (March 2017): 163-180. Full Text
- Findley, MG, Jensen, NM, Malesky, EJ, and Pepinsky, TB. "Can Results-Free Review Reduce Publication Bias? The Results and Implications of a Pilot Study." Comparative Political Studies 49, no. 13 (November 2016): 1667-1703. Full Text
- Malesky, EJ. "Transfer Pricing and Global Poverty." International Studies Review 17, no. 4 (December 2015): 669-677. Full Text
- Malesky, E, McCulloch, N, and Nhat, ND. "The impact of governance and transparency on firm investment in Vietnam." Economics of Transition 23, no. 4 (October 2015): 677-715. Full Text
- Jensen, NM, Malesky, EJ, and Walsh, M. "Competing for global capital or local voters? The politics of business location incentives." Public Choice 164, no. 3-4 (September 2015): 331-356. Full Text
- Malesky, EJ, Gueorguiev, DD, and Jensen, NM. "Monopoly Money: Foreign Investment and Bribery in Vietnam, a Survey Experiment." American Journal of Political Science 59, no. 2 (February 2015): 419-439. Full Text
- Malesky, E, and Morris-Jung, J. "Vietnam in 2014: Uncertainty and opportunity in the wake of the HS-981 crisis." Asian Survey 55, no. 1 (January 1, 2015): 165-173. Full Text
- Jensen, NM, Malesky, E, Medina, M, and Ozdemir, U. "Pass the Bucks: Credit, Blame, and the Global Competition for Investment." International Studies Quarterly 58, no. 3 (September 2014): 433-447. Full Text
- Malesky, E, and London, J. "The Political Economy of Development in China and Vietnam." Annual Review of Political Science 17, no. 1 (May 11, 2014): 395-419. Full Text
- MALESKY, EJ, NGUYEN, CV, and TRAN, A. "The Impact of Recentralization on Public Services: A Difference-in-Differences Analysis of the Abolition of Elected Councils in Vietnam." American Political Science Review 108, no. 01 (February 2014): 144-168. Full Text
- Malesky, E. "Vietnam in 2013: Single-party politics in the internet age." Asian Survey 54, no. 1 (January 1, 2014): 30-38. (Review) Full Text
- Dinh, TM, Malesky, EJ, To, TT, and Nguyen, DT. "The Effect of Interest Rate Subsidies on Firm Performance and Investment Behavior during Economic Recession: Evidence from Vietnam." Journal of Asian Economics FORTHCOMING (2013). (Academic Article)
- Jensen, N, Malesky, EJ, and Weymouth, S. "Unbundling the Relationship between Authoritarian Legislatures and Political Risk." British Journal of Politics FORTHCOMING (2013). (Academic Article)
- Malesky, EJ, and Schuler, P. "Star Search: Do Elections Help Nondemocratic Regimes Identify New Leaders?." Journal of East Asian Studies FORTHCOMING (2013). (Academic Article)
- Cammett, M, and Malesky, E. "Power Sharing in Postconflict Societies." Journal of Conflict Resolution 56, no. 6 (December 2012): 982-1016. Full Text
- Malesky, EJ, Schuler, P, and Tran, A. "The Adverse Effects of Sunshine: A Field Experiment on Legislative Transparency in an Authoritarian Assembly." American Political Science Review 106, no. 4 (November 2012): 762-786. (Academic Article) Full Text
- Georguiev, D, and Malesky, EJ. "Foreign investment and bribery: A firm-level analysis of corruption in Vietnam." Journal of Asian Economics 23, no. 2 (October 2012): 111-129. (Academic Article)
- Malesky, EJ. "The Single-Party Dictator’s Dilemma: Information in Elections Without Opposition." Legislative Studies Quaterly 35, no. 4 (December 2011): 491-530. Link to Item
- MALESKY, E, and SCHULER, P. "The Single-Party Dictator's Dilemma: Information in Elections without Opposition." Legislative Studies Quarterly 36, no. 4 (November 2011): 491-530. Full Text
- Malesky, EJ, and Merchant Vega, ANDN. "A Peek under the Engine Hood: The Methodology of Subnational Economic Governance Indices." Hague Journal on the Rule of Law 3, no. 2 (September 2011): 186-219. (Academic Article) Full Text
- Malesky, E, Abrami, R, and Zheng, Y. "Institutions and inequality in single-party regimes a comparative analysis of vietnam and China." Comparative Politics 43, no. 4 (July 1, 2011): 401-419. (Review)
- Malesky, EJ, Abrami, R, and Zheng, Y. "Accountability and Inequality in Single-Party Regimes: A Comparative Analysis of Vietnam and China." Comparative Politics 43, no. 4 (2011): 401-421. Link to Item
- Malesky, EJ, Schuler, P, and Tran, A. "Vietnam 2010: Familiar Patterns and New Developments Ahead of the 11th Vietnam Communist Party Congress." Southeast Asian Affairs 2011 (2011): 339-363. (Academic Article)
- Malesky, EJ. "Political Economy of International Capital Flows." Edited by E Caprio. Prepared for The Encyclopedia of Financial Globalization (2011). (Academic Article)
- Gehlbach, S, and Malesky, EJ. "The Contribution of Veto Players to Economic Reform." The Journal of Politics 72, no. 4 (October 2010): 957-975. Full Text
- MALESKY, E, and SCHULER, P. "Nodding or Needling: Analyzing Delegate Responsiveness in an Authoritarian Parliament." American Political Science Review 104, no. 03 (August 2010): 482-502. Full Text
- Jensen, N, and Malesky, EJ. "FDI Incentives Pay – Politically." Vale Columbia FDI Perspectives 26 (June 2010). Link to Item
- Malesky, EJ, and Taussig, M. "Where Is Credit Due? Legal Institutions, Connections, and the Efficiency of Bank Lending in Vietnam." JOURNAL OF LAW ECONOMICS & ORGANIZATION 25, no. 2 (October 2009): 535-578. Full Text Link to Item
- Malesky, EJ, and Taussig, M. "Out of the Gray: The Impact of Provincial Institutions on Business Formalization in Vietnam." Journal of East Asian Studies 9 (2009): 249-290. (Academic Article)
- Malesky, EJ. "Foreign Investors: Agents of Economic Transition. An Instrumental Variables Analysis." Quarterly Journal of Political Science 4, no. 1 (2009): 59-85. Link to Item
- Malesky, EJ. "Gerrymandering Vietnam Style: Escaping the Partial Reform Equilibrium in a Non-Democratic Regime." Journal of Politics 71, no. 1 (2009): 132-159. Link to Item
- Malesky, EJ, and Taussig, M. "Where is Credit Due? Companies, Banks, and Locally Differentiated Investment Growth in Vietnam." Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization 25, no. 2 (December 2008). Link to Item
- Malesky, EJ, and Schuler, PJ. "Paint-by-Numbers Democracy: The Stakes, Structure, and Results of the 2007 Vietnamese National Assembly Election." Journal of Vietnamese Studies 4, no. 1 (August 1, 2008): 1-48.
- Malesky, EJ, and Samphantharak, K. "Predictable Corruption and Investment Strategy: Evidence from a Natural Experiment and Survey of Cambodian Entrepreneurs." Quarterly Journal of Political Science 3, no. 3 (2008): 227-267. Link to Item
- Malesky, EJ. "Straight Ahead on Red: How Foreign Direct Investment Empowers Subnational Leaders." Journal of Politics 70, no. 1 (2008): 97-119. Link to Item
- MALESKY, EJ. "Entrepreneurs on the Periphery: A Study of Private Sector Development in Vietnam's Periphery Provinces." International Finance Corporation Private Sector Discussion Papers 18 (2004). Link to Item
- Malesky, EJ. "Leveled Mountains and Broken Fences: Measuring and Analyzing De Facto Decentralization in Vietnam." European Journal of South East Asian Studies 3, no. 23 (2004): 307-337. Link to Item
- Malesky, EJ, and Mosley, L. "Chains of Love? Global Production and the Firm-Level Diffusion of Labor Standards(Published online)." American Journal of Political Science . Full Text
- Malesky, EJ. "The Vietnam Provincial Competitiveness Index: Measuring Economic Governance for Private Sector Development." 4, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 (2012).
- Teaching & Mentoring
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.