Education, Training, & Certifications
- Ph.D., University of Iowa 1979
In the News
NOV 28, 2016
Awards & Honors
- ASA Founders Award. American Statistical Association. August 2, 2017
- Deprescribing Intervention for Older Adults with Chronic Kidney Disease awarded by ASN Foundation for Kidney Research 2019 - 2023
- Deprescribing for Older Dialysis Patients awarded by National Institutes of Health 2018 - 2023
- Integrated Mineral Metabolism Treatment Strategies in Patients on Dialysis awarded by National Institutes of Health 2017 - 2021
- Breaking Down Care Process and Patient-level Barriers to Arteriovenous Access Placement Prior to Hemodialysis Initiation awarded by University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill 2018 - 2019
- Physical Resiliencies: Indicators and Mechanisms in the Elderly Collaborative awarded by National Institutes of Health 2017 - 2019
- Incentivizing behavior change skills to promote weight loss awarded by National Institutes of Health 2015 - 2019
- Multi-factorial Intervention to Slow Progression of Diabetic Kidney Disease awarded by National Institutes of Health 2013 - 2019
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Vilme, H, Davenport, CA, Pendergast, J, and Boulware, LE. "Trends in African Americans' Attitudes and Behaviors About Living Donor Kidney Transplantation.(Accepted)" Progress in Transplantation (Aliso Viejo, Calif.) 28, no. 4 (December 2018): 354-360. Full Text
- Green, JA, Ephraim, PL, Hill-Briggs, FF, Browne, T, Strigo, TS, Hauer, CL, Stametz, RA, Darer, JD, Patel, UD, Lang-Lindsey, K, Bankes, BL, Bolden, SA, Danielson, P, Ruff, S, Schmidt, L, Swoboda, A, Woods, P, Vinson, B, Littlewood, D, Jackson, G, Pendergast, JF, St Clair Russell, J, Collins, K, Norfolk, E, Bucaloiu, ID, Kethireddy, S, Collins, C, Davis, D, dePrisco, J, Malloy, D, Diamantidis, CJ, Fulmer, S, Martin, J, Schatell, D, Tangri, N, Sees, A, Siegrist, C, Breed, J, Medley, A, Graboski, E, Billet, J, Hackenberg, M, Singer, D, Stewart, S, Alkon, A, Bhavsar, NA, Lewis-Boyer, L, Martz, C, Yule, C, Greer, RC, Saunders, M, Cameron, B, and Boulware, LE. "Putting patients at the center of kidney care transitions: PREPARE NOW, a cluster randomized controlled trial." Contemporary Clinical Trials 73 (October 2018): 98-110. Full Text
- Duan-Porter, W, Hatch, D, Pendergast, JF, Freude, G, Rose, U, Burr, H, Müller, G, Martus, P, Pohrt, A, and Potter, G. "12-month trajectories of depressive symptoms among nurses-Contribution of personality, job characteristics, coping, and burnout." Journal of Affective Disorders 234 (July 2018): 67-73. Full Text
- Diamantidis, CJ, Bosworth, HB, Oakes, MM, Davenport, CA, Pendergast, JF, Patel, S, Moaddeb, J, Barnhart, HX, Merrill, PD, Baloch, K, Crowley, MJ, and Patel, UD. "Simultaneous Risk Factor Control Using Telehealth to slOw Progression of Diabetic Kidney Disease (STOP-DKD) study: Protocol and baseline characteristics of a randomized controlled trial." Contemporary Clinical Trials 69 (June 2018): 28-39. Full Text
- Olivo, RE, Davenport, CA, Diamantidis, CJ, Bhavsar, NA, Tyson, CC, Hall, R, Bidulescu, A, Young, B, Mwasongwe, SE, Pendergast, J, Boulware, LE, and Scialla, JJ. "Obesity and synergistic risk factors for chronic kidney disease in African American adults: the Jackson Heart Study." Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation : Official Publication of the European Dialysis and Transplant Association European Renal Association 33, no. 6 (June 2018): 992-1001. Full Text
- Lunyera, J, Davenport, CA, Bhavsar, NA, Sims, M, Scialla, J, Pendergast, J, Hall, R, Tyson, CC, Russell, JSC, Wang, W, Correa, A, Boulware, LE, and Diamantidis, CJ. "Nondepressive Psychosocial Factors and CKD Outcomes in Black Americans." Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology : Cjasn 13, no. 2 (February 2018): 213-222. Full Text
- Voils, CI, Levine, E, Gierisch, JM, Pendergast, J, Hale, SL, McVay, MA, Reed, SD, Yancy, WS, Bennett, G, Strawbridge, EM, White, AC, and Shaw, RJ. "Study protocol for Log2Lose: A feasibility randomized controlled trial to evaluate financial incentives for dietary self-monitoring and interim weight loss in adults with obesity." Contemporary clinical trials 65 (February 2018): 116-122. Full Text
- Zullig, LL, Diamantidis, CJ, Bosworth, HB, Bhapkar, MV, Barnhart, H, Oakes, MM, Pendergast, JF, Miller, JJ, and Patel, UD. "Racial differences in nocturnal dipping status in diabetic kidney disease: Results from the STOP-DKD (Simultaneous Risk Factor Control Using Telehealth to Slow Progression of Diabetic Kidney Disease) study." Journal of Clinical Hypertension (Greenwich, Conn.) 19, no. 12 (December 2017): 1327-1335. Full Text
- Duan-Porter, W, Cohen, HJ, Demark-Wahnefried, W, Sloane, R, Pendergast, JF, Snyder, DC, and Morey, MC. "Physical resilience of older cancer survivors: An emerging concept." Journal of geriatric oncology 7, no. 6 (November 2016): 471-478. Full Text
- Abu-Hejleh, T, Chrischilles, EA, Halfdanarson, TR, Simon, C, Pendergast, JF, Jiang, D, Smith, CJ, Porter, AT, Carter, KD, Wallace, RB, and Cancer Care Outcomes Research and Surveillance Consortium (CanCORS), . "The Effect of Receiving Treatment Within a Clinical Trial Setting on Survival and Quality of Care Perception in Advanced Stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer." American Journal of Clinical Oncology 39, no. 2 (April 2016): 126-131. Full Text
- Farris, KB, Salgado, TM, Aneese, N, Marshall, VD, Pendergast, JF, Frank, J, Chrischilles, EA, and Doucette, WR. "Effect of Clinical and Attitudinal Characteristics on Obtaining Comprehensive Medication Reviews." Journal of Managed Care & Specialty Pharmacy 22, no. 4 (April 2016): 388-395. Full Text
- Charlton, ME, Stitzenberg, KB, Lin, C, Schlichting, JA, Halfdanarson, TR, Juarez, GY, Pendergast, JF, Chrischilles, EA, and Wallace, RB. "Predictors of Long-Term Quality of Life for Survivors of Stage II/III Rectal Cancer in the Cancer Care Outcomes Research and Surveillance Consortium." Journal of Oncology Practice 11, no. 4 (July 2015): e476-e486. Full Text
- Chrischilles, EA, McDowell, BD, Rubenstein, L, Charlton, M, Pendergast, J, Juarez, GY, and Arora, NK. "Survivorship care planning and its influence on long-term patient-reported outcomes among colorectal and lung cancer survivors: the CanCORS disease-free survivor follow-up study." Journal of Cancer Survivorship : Research and Practice 9, no. 2 (June 2015): 269-278. Full Text
- Doucette, WR, Pendergast, JF, Zhang, Y, Brown, G, Chrischilles, EA, Farris, KB, and Frank, J. "Stimulating comprehensive medication reviews among Medicare Part D beneficiaries." The American journal of managed care 21, no. 6 (June 2015): e372-e378.
- Gerke, AK, Tang, F, Pendergast, J, Cavanaugh, JE, and Polgreen, PM. "The high frequency of healthcare use in patients one year prior to a sarcoidosis diagnosis." Sarcoidosis, vasculitis, and diffuse lung diseases : official journal of WASOG 31, no. 3 (October 20, 2014): 256-261.
- Cook, EA, Schneider, KM, Robinson, J, Wilwert, J, Chrischilles, E, Pendergast, J, and Brooks, J. "Field methods in medical record abstraction: assessing the properties of comparative effectiveness estimates." Bmc Health Services Research 14 (September 15, 2014): 391-null. Full Text
- Charlton, ME, Lin, C, Jiang, D, Stitzenberg, KB, Halfdanarson, TR, Pendergast, JF, Chrischilles, EA, and Wallace, RB. "Factors associated with use of preoperative chemoradiation therapy for rectal cancer in the Cancer Care Outcomes Research and Surveillance Consortium." American Journal of Clinical Oncology 36, no. 6 (December 2013): 572-579. Full Text
- Moga, DC, Carnahan, RM, Lund, BC, Pendergast, JF, Wallace, RB, Torner, JC, Li, Y, and Chrischilles, EA. "Risks and benefits of bladder antimuscarinics among elderly residents of Veterans Affairs Community Living Centers." Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 14, no. 10 (October 2013): 749-760. Full Text
- Doucette, WR, Zhang, Y, Chrischilles, EA, Pendergast, JF, Newland, BA, Farris, KB, and Frank, J. "Factors affecting Medicare Part D beneficiaries' decision to receive comprehensive medication reviews." Journal of the American Pharmacists Association : Japha 53, no. 5 (September 2013): 482-487. Full Text
- Doucette, WR, Chang, EH, Pendergast, JF, Wright, KB, Chrischilles, EA, and Farris, KB. "Development and initial assessment of the medication user self-evaluation (MUSE) tool." Clinical Therapeutics 35, no. 3 (March 2013): 344-350. Full Text
- Catalano, PJ, Ayanian, JZ, Weeks, JC, Kahn, KL, Landrum, MB, Zaslavsky, AM, Lee, J, Pendergast, J, Harrington, DP, and Cancer Care Outcomes Research Surveillance Consortium, . "Representativeness of participants in the cancer care outcomes research and surveillance consortium relative to the surveillance, epidemiology, and end results program." Medical Care 51, no. 2 (February 2013): e9-15. Full Text
- Pendergast, J, Kliethermes, SA, Freburger, JK, and Duffy, PA. "A comparison of health care use for physician-referred and self-referred episodes of outpatient physical therapy." Health services research 47, no. 2 (April 2012): 633-654. Full Text
- Duffy, PA, Johnson, M, Pendergast, J, and Resnik, L. "Discussion podcast--on "a comparison of health care use for physician-referred and self-referred episodes of outpatient physical therapy "." Physical therapy 92, no. 1 (January 2012): 179-. Full Text
- Kuntz, JL, Chrischilles, EA, Pendergast, JF, Herwaldt, LA, and Polgreen, PM. "Incidence of and risk factors for community-associated Clostridium difficile infection: a nested case-control study." Bmc Infectious Diseases 11 (July 15, 2011): 194-null. Full Text
- Chrischilles, EA, Pendergast, JF, Kahn, KL, Wallace, RB, Moga, DC, Harrington, DP, Kiefe, CI, Weeks, JC, West, DW, Zafar, SY, and Fletcher, RH. "Adverse events among the elderly receiving chemotherapy for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer." Journal of Clinical Oncology : Official Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology 28, no. 4 (February 2010): 620-627. Full Text
- Morriss, FH, Abramowitz, PW, Nelson, SP, Milavetz, G, Michael, SL, Gordon, SN, Pendergast, JF, and Cook, EF. "Effectiveness of a barcode medication administration system in reducing preventable adverse drug events in a neonatal intensive care unit: a prospective cohort study." The Journal of pediatrics 154, no. 3 (March 2009): 363-368.e1. Full Text
- Zhao, Y, Brooks, JM, Flanigan, MJ, Chrischilles, EA, Pendergast, JF, and Hunsicker, LG. "Physician access and early nephrology care in elderly patients with end-stage renal disease." Kidney International 74, no. 12 (December 2008): 1596-1602. Full Text
- Oleson, JJ, Breheny, PJ, Pendergast, JF, Ryan, S, and Litchfield, R. "Impact of travel distance on WISEWOMAN Intervention attendance for a rural population." Preventive Medicine 47, no. 5 (November 2008): 565-569. Full Text
- Gatewood, JG, Litchfield, RE, Ryan, SJ, Geadelmann, JDM, Pendergast, JF, and Ullom, KK. "Perceived barriers to community-based health promotion program participation." American journal of health behavior 32, no. 3 (May 2008): 260-271.
- Xie, X-J, Pendergast, J, and Clarke, W. "Increasing the power: A practical approach to goodness-of-fit test for logistic regression models with continuous predictors." Computational Statistics & Data Analysis 52, no. 5 (January 2008): 2703-2713. Full Text
- Brooks, JM, Irwin, CP, Hunsicker, LG, Flanigan, MJ, Chrischilles, EA, and Pendergast, JF. "Effect of dialysis center profit-status on patient survival: a comparison of risk-adjustment and instrumental variable approaches." Health Services Research 41, no. 6 (December 2006): 2267-2289. Full Text
- Ward, MM, Diekema, DJ, Yankey, JW, Vaughn, TE, BootsMiller, BJ, Pendergast, JF, and Doebbeling, BN. "Implementation of strategies to prevent and control the emergence and spread of antimicrobial-resistant microorganisms in U.S. hospitals." Infection control and hospital epidemiology 26, no. 1 (January 2005): 21-30. Full Text
- Davila, JA, Brooks, JM, Pendergast, JF, and Chrischilles, EA. "The effect of physician characteristics and their practice environment on surgical referral patterns for early-stage breast cancer in Iowa." American Journal of Medical Quality : the Official Journal of the American College of Medical Quality 19, no. 6 (November 2004): 266-273. Full Text
- Ward, MM, Yankey, JW, Vaughn, TE, BootsMiller, BJ, Flach, SD, Welke, KF, Pendergast, JF, Perlin, J, and Doebbeling, BN. "Physician process and patient outcome measures for diabetes care: relationships to organizational characteristics." Medical care 42, no. 9 (September 2004): 840-850. Full Text
- Dougherty, MC, Dwyer, JW, Pendergast, JF, Boyington, AR, Tomlinson, BU, Coward, RT, Duncan, RP, Vogel, B, and Rooks, LG. "A randomized trial of behavioral management for continence with older rural women." Research in nursing & health 25, no. 1 (February 2002): 3-13. Full Text
- Nau, DP, Ried, LD, Lipowski, EE, Kimberlin, C, and Pendergast, J. "A Perceived Value Model for Explaining Patients' Intentions to Continue Use of Pharmaceutical Care Services." Journal of Pharmaceutical Marketing and Management 14, no. 1 (January 1, 2001): 63-80. Full Text
- Littell, RC, Pendergast, J, and Natarajan, R. "Modelling covariance structure in the analysis of repeated measures data." Statistics in Medicine 19, no. 13 (July 2000): 1793-1819. (Review) Full Text
- Young, MS, Triggs, WJ, Pendergast, JF, and Heilman, KM. "The effects of selective response preparation on corticospinal excitability." Cortex; a journal devoted to the study of the nervous system and behavior 36, no. 1 (February 2000): 19-29. Full Text
- Nau, DP, Ried, LD, Lipowski, EE, Kimberlin, C, Pendergast, J, and Spivey-Miller, S. "Patients' perceptions of the benefits of pharmaceutical care." Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association (Washington,D.C. : 1996) 40, no. 1 (January 2000): 36-40. Full Text
- Powell, SB, Newman, HA, Pendergast, JF, and Lewis, MH. "A rodent model of spontaneous stereotypy: initial characterization of developmental, environmental, and neurobiological factors." Physiology & behavior 66, no. 2 (April 1999): 355-363. Full Text
- Tomlinson, BU, Dougherty, MC, Pendergast, JF, Boyington, AR, Coffman, MA, and Pickens, SM. "Dietary caffeine, fluid intake and urinary incontinence in older rural women." International urogynecology journal and pelvic floor dysfunction 10, no. 1 (January 1999): 22-28. Full Text
- Kimberlin, CL, Pendergast, JF, Berardo, DH, and McKenzie, LC. "Issues related to using a short-form of the Center for Epidemiological Studies-Depression Scale." Psychological Reports 83, no. 2 (October 1998): 411-421. Full Text
- Dougherty, MC, Dwyer, JW, Pendergast, JF, Tomlinson, BU, Boyington, AR, Vogel, WB, Duncan, RP, Coward, RT, and Cox, CL. "Community-based nursing: continence care for older rural women." Nursing outlook 46, no. 5 (September 1998): 233-244. Full Text
- Shenkman, E, Pendergast, J, Wegener, DH, Hartzel, T, Naff, R, Freedman, S, and Bucciarelli, R. "Children's health care use in the Healthy Kids Program." Pediatrics 100, no. 6 (December 1997): 947-953. Full Text
- Shenkman, E, Pendergast, J, Reiss, J, Walther, E, Bucciarelli, R, and Freedman, S. "The School Enrollment-Based Health Insurance program: socioeconomic factors in enrollees' use of health services." American journal of public health 86, no. 12 (December 1996): 1791-1793. Full Text
- Pendergast, JF, Gange, SJ, Newton, MA, Lindstrom, MJ, Palta, M, and Fisher, MR. "A survey off methods for analyzing clustered binary response data." International Statistical Review 64, no. 1 (April 1, 1996): 89-118. (Review)
- Pendergast, JF, Kimberlin, CL, Berardo, DH, and McKenzie, LC. "Role orientation and community pharmacists' participation in a project to improve patient care." Social science & medicine (1982) 40, no. 4 (February 1995): 557-565. Full Text
- Berardo, DH, Kimberlin, CL, McKenzie, LC, and Pendergast, JF. "Community pharmacists' documentation of intervention on drug related problems of elderly patients." Journal of Social and Administrative Pharmacy 11, no. 4 (December 1, 1994): 182-193.
- McKenzie, L. "Potential Drug Interactions in a High Risk Ambulatory Elderly Population." Journal of Geriatric Drug Therapy 8, no. 3 (May 20, 1994): 49-63. Full Text
- Kimberlin, CL, Berardo, DH, Pendergast, JF, and McKenzie, LC. "Effects of an education program for community pharmacists on detecting drug-related problems in elderly patients." Medical care 31, no. 5 (May 1993): 451-468.
- Hanson, RR, Nixon, AJ, Gronwall, R, Meyer, D, and Pendergast, J. "Evaluation of peritoneal fluid following intestinal resection and anastomosis in horses." American journal of veterinary research 53, no. 2 (February 1992): 216-221.
- Hanson, RR, Nixon, AJ, Calderwood-Mays, M, Gronwall, R, and Pendergast, JF. "Comparison of staple and suture techniques for end-to-end anastomosis of the small colon in horses." American journal of veterinary research 49, no. 9 (September 1988): 1621-1628.
- Pendergast, JF, and Vogel, WB. "A multistage model of hospital bed requirements." Health Services Research 23, no. 3 (August 1988): 381-399.
- Henry, B, O'Donnell, JF, Pendergast, JF, Moody, LE, and Hutchinson, SA. "Nursing administration research in hospitals and schools of nursing." The Journal of nursing administration 18, no. 2 (February 1988): 28-31.
- Randall, M, Kilpatrick, KE, Pendergast, JF, Jones, KR, and Vogel, WB. "Differences in patient characteristics between Veterans Administration and community hospitals. Implications for VA planning." Medical care 25, no. 11 (November 1987): 1099-1104.
- Henry, B, Moody, LE, Pendergast, JF, O'Donnell, J, Hutchinson, SA, and Scully, G. "Delineation of nursing administration research priorities." Nursing research 36, no. 5 (September 1987): 309-314.
- Agresti, A, and Pendergast, J. "Comparing mean ranks for repeated measures data." Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods 15, no. 5 (January 1986): 1417-1433. Full Text
- Kitchens, CS, and Pendergast, JF. "Human thrombocytopenia is associated with structural abnormalities of the endothelium that are ameliorated by glucocorticosteroid administration." Blood 67, no. 1 (January 1986): 203-206.
- Pendergast, JF, and Broffitt, JD. "Robust estimation in growth curve models." Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods 14, no. 8 (January 1985): 1919-1939. Full Text
- Caton, D, Pendergast, JF, and Bazer, FW. "Uterine blood flow: periodic fluctuations of its rate during pregnancy." The American Journal of Physiology 245, no. 6 (December 1983): R850-R852. Full Text
- Caton, D, Pendergast, JF, and Bazer, FW. "Uterine blood flow: Periodic fluctuations of its rate during pregnancy." American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology 14, no. 6 (December 1, 1983).
- Silverstein, JH, Rosenbloom, AL, Clarke, DW, Spillar, R, and Pendergast, JF. "Accuracy of two systems for blood glucose monitoring without a meter (Chemstrip/Visidex)." Diabetes care 6, no. 6 (November 1983): 533-535. Full Text
- Littell, RC, Pendergast, J, and Natarajan, R. "Mixed Models: Modelling Covariance Structure in the Analysis of Repeated Measures Data." In Tutorials in Biostatistics, 159-185. August 30, 2005. Full Text
- Pendergast, J, Lachenbruch, PA, and Isacson, P. "COMPARABILITY OF CANCER PATIENTS AND HOSPITALS FROM THE IOWA TUMOR REGISTRY." December 1, 1981.
- Teaching & Mentoring
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.