Education, Training, & Certifications
- Ph.D., University of Iowa 1979
In the News
NOV 28, 2016
Awards & Honors
- ASA Founders Award. American Statistical Association. August 2, 2017
- Integrated Mineral Metabolism Treatment Strategies in Patients on Dialysis awarded by National Institutes of Health 2017 - 2021
- Physical Resiliencies: Indicators and Mechanisms in the Elderly Collaborative awarded by National Institutes of Health 2017 - 2019
- Incentivizing behavior change skills to promote weight loss awarded by National Institutes of Health 2015 - 2019
- Multi-factorial Intervention to Slow Progression of Diabetic Kidney Disease awarded by National Institutes of Health 2013 - 2019
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Littell, RC, Pendergast, J, and Natarajan, R. "Mixed Models: Modelling Covariance Structure in the Analysis of Repeated Measures Data." In Tutorials in Biostatistics, 159-185. August 30, 2005. Full Text
- Pendergast, J, Lachenbruch, PA, and Isacson, P. "COMPARABILITY OF CANCER PATIENTS AND HOSPITALS FROM THE IOWA TUMOR REGISTRY." December 1, 1981.
- Duan-Porter, W, Hatch, D, Pendergast, JF, Freude, G, Rose, U, Burr, H, Müller, G, Martus, P, Pohrt, A, and Potter, G. "12-month trajectories of depressive symptoms among nurses—Contribution of personality, job characteristics, coping, and burnout (Accepted)." Journal of Affective Disorders 234 (July 1, 2018): 67-73. Full Text
- Lunyera, J, Davenport, CA, Bhavsar, NA, Sims, M, Scialla, J, Pendergast, J, Hall, R, Tyson, CC, Russell, JSC, Wang, W, Correa, A, Boulware, LE, and Diamantidis, CJ. "Nondepressive Psychosocial Factors and CKD Outcomes in Black Americans." Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology : CJASN 13, no. 2 (February 2018): 213-222. Full Text
- Voils, CI, Levine, E, Gierisch, JM, Pendergast, J, Hale, SL, McVay, MA, Reed, SD, Yancy, WS, Bennett, G, Strawbridge, EM, White, AC, and Shaw, RJ. "Study protocol for Log2Lose: A feasibility randomized controlled trial to evaluate financial incentives for dietary self-monitoring and interim weight loss in adults with obesity." Contemporary clinical trials 65 (February 2018): 116-122. Full Text
- Zullig, LL, Diamantidis, CJ, Bosworth, HB, Bhapkar, MV, Barnhart, H, Oakes, MM, Pendergast, JF, Miller, JJ, and Patel, UD. "Racial differences in nocturnal dipping status in diabetic kidney disease: Results from the STOP-DKD (Simultaneous Risk Factor Control Using Telehealth to Slow Progression of Diabetic Kidney Disease) study." Journal of clinical hypertension (Greenwich, Conn.) 19, no. 12 (December 2017): 1327-1335. Full Text
- Duan-Porter, W, Cohen, HJ, Demark-Wahnefried, W, Sloane, R, Pendergast, JF, Snyder, DC, and Morey, MC. "Physical resilience of older cancer survivors: An emerging concept." Journal of geriatric oncology 7, no. 6 (November 2016): 471-478. Full Text
- Abu-Hejleh, T, Chrischilles, EA, Halfdanarson, TR, Simon, C, Pendergast, JF, Jiang, D, Smith, CJ, Porter, AT, Carter, KD, Wallace, RB, and Cancer Care Outcomes Research and Surveillance Consortium (CanCORS), . "The Effect of Receiving Treatment Within a Clinical Trial Setting on Survival and Quality of Care Perception in Advanced Stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer." American journal of clinical oncology 39, no. 2 (April 2016): 126-131. Full Text
- Farris, KB, Salgado, TM, Aneese, N, Marshall, VD, Pendergast, JF, Frank, J, Chrischilles, EA, and Doucette, WR. "Effect of Clinical and Attitudinal Characteristics on Obtaining Comprehensive Medication Reviews." Journal of managed care & specialty pharmacy 22, no. 4 (April 2016): 388-395. Full Text
- Charlton, ME, Stitzenberg, KB, Lin, C, Schlichting, JA, Halfdanarson, TR, Juarez, GY, Pendergast, JF, Chrischilles, EA, and Wallace, RB. "Predictors of Long-Term Quality of Life for Survivors of Stage II/III Rectal Cancer in the Cancer Care Outcomes Research and Surveillance Consortium." Journal of oncology practice 11, no. 4 (July 2015): e476-e486. Full Text
- Chrischilles, EA, McDowell, BD, Rubenstein, L, Charlton, M, Pendergast, J, Juarez, GY, and Arora, NK. "Survivorship care planning and its influence on long-term patient-reported outcomes among colorectal and lung cancer survivors: the CanCORS disease-free survivor follow-up study." Journal of cancer survivorship : research and practice 9, no. 2 (June 2015): 269-278. Full Text
- Doucette, WR, Pendergast, JF, Zhang, Y, Brown, G, Chrischilles, EA, Farris, KB, and Frank, J. "Stimulating comprehensive medication reviews among Medicare Part D beneficiaries." The American journal of managed care 21, no. 6 (June 2015): e372-e378.
- Gerke, AK, Tang, F, Pendergast, J, Cavanaugh, JE, and Polgreen, PM. "The high frequency of healthcare use in patients one year prior to a sarcoidosis diagnosis." Sarcoidosis, vasculitis, and diffuse lung diseases : official journal of WASOG 31, no. 3 (October 20, 2014): 256-261.
- Cook, EA, Schneider, KM, Robinson, J, Wilwert, J, Chrischilles, E, Pendergast, J, and Brooks, J. "Field methods in medical record abstraction: assessing the properties of comparative effectiveness estimates." BMC health services research 14 (September 15, 2014): 391-. Full Text
- Charlton, ME, Lin, C, Jiang, D, Stitzenberg, KB, Halfdanarson, TR, Pendergast, JF, Chrischilles, EA, and Wallace, RB. "Factors associated with use of preoperative chemoradiation therapy for rectal cancer in the Cancer Care Outcomes Research and Surveillance Consortium." American journal of clinical oncology 36, no. 6 (December 2013): 572-579. Full Text
- Moga, DC, Carnahan, RM, Lund, BC, Pendergast, JF, Wallace, RB, Torner, JC, Li, Y, and Chrischilles, EA. "Risks and benefits of bladder antimuscarinics among elderly residents of Veterans Affairs Community Living Centers." Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 14, no. 10 (October 2013): 749-760. Full Text
- Doucette, WR, Zhang, Y, Chrischilles, EA, Pendergast, JF, Newland, BA, Farris, KB, and Frank, J. "Factors affecting Medicare Part D beneficiaries' decision to receive comprehensive medication reviews." Journal of the American Pharmacists Association : JAPhA 53, no. 5 (September 2013): 482-487. Full Text
- Doucette, WR, Chang, EH, Pendergast, JF, Wright, KB, Chrischilles, EA, and Farris, KB. "Development and initial assessment of the medication user self-evaluation (MUSE) tool." Clinical therapeutics 35, no. 3 (March 2013): 344-350. Full Text
- Catalano, PJ, Ayanian, JZ, Weeks, JC, Kahn, KL, Landrum, MB, Zaslavsky, AM, Lee, J, Pendergast, J, Harrington, DP, and Cancer Care Outcomes Research Surveillance Consortium, . "Representativeness of participants in the cancer care outcomes research and surveillance consortium relative to the surveillance, epidemiology, and end results program." Medical care 51, no. 2 (February 2013): e9-15. Full Text
- Pendergast, J, Kliethermes, SA, Freburger, JK, and Duffy, PA. "A comparison of health care use for physician-referred and self-referred episodes of outpatient physical therapy." Health services research 47, no. 2 (April 2012): 633-654. Full Text
- Duffy, PA, Johnson, M, Pendergast, J, and Resnik, L. "Discussion podcast--on "a comparison of health care use for physician-referred and self-referred episodes of outpatient physical therapy "." Physical therapy 92, no. 1 (January 2012): 179-. Full Text
- Kuntz, JL, Chrischilles, EA, Pendergast, JF, Herwaldt, LA, and Polgreen, PM. "Incidence of and risk factors for community-associated Clostridium difficile infection: a nested case-control study." BMC infectious diseases 11 (July 15, 2011): 194-. Full Text
- Chrischilles, EA, Pendergast, JF, Kahn, KL, Wallace, RB, Moga, DC, Harrington, DP, Kiefe, CI, Weeks, JC, West, DW, Zafar, SY, and Fletcher, RH. "Adverse events among the elderly receiving chemotherapy for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer." J Clin Oncol 28, no. 4 (February 1, 2010): 620-627. Full Text Link to Item
- Morriss, FH, Abramowitz, PW, Nelson, SP, Milavetz, G, Michael, SL, Gordon, SN, Pendergast, JF, and Cook, EF. "Effectiveness of a barcode medication administration system in reducing preventable adverse drug events in a neonatal intensive care unit: a prospective cohort study." The Journal of pediatrics 154, no. 3 (March 2009): 363-368.e1. Full Text
- Zhao, Y, Brooks, JM, Flanigan, MJ, Chrischilles, EA, Pendergast, JF, and Hunsicker, LG. "Physician access and early nephrology care in elderly patients with end-stage renal disease." Kidney international 74, no. 12 (December 2008): 1596-1602. Full Text
- Oleson, JJ, Breheny, PJ, Pendergast, JF, Ryan, S, and Litchfield, R. "Impact of travel distance on WISEWOMAN Intervention attendance for a rural population." Preventive medicine 47, no. 5 (November 2008): 565-569. Full Text
- Gatewood, JG, Litchfield, RE, Ryan, SJ, Geadelmann, JDM, Pendergast, JF, and Ullom, KK. "Perceived barriers to community-based health promotion program participation." American journal of health behavior 32, no. 3 (May 2008): 260-271.
- Xie, X-J, Pendergast, J, and Clarke, W. "Increasing the power: A practical approach to goodness-of-fit test for logistic regression models with continuous predictors." Computational Statistics & Data Analysis 52, no. 5 (January 2008): 2703-2713. Full Text
- Brooks, JM, Irwin, CP, Hunsicker, LG, Flanigan, MJ, Chrischilles, EA, and Pendergast, JF. "Effect of dialysis center profit-status on patient survival: a comparison of risk-adjustment and instrumental variable approaches." Health Services Research 41, no. 6 (December 2006): 2267-2289. Full Text
- Ward, MM, Diekema, DJ, Yankey, JW, Vaughn, TE, BootsMiller, BJ, Pendergast, JF, and Doebbeling, BN. "Implementation of strategies to prevent and control the emergence and spread of antimicrobial-resistant microorganisms in U.S. hospitals." Infection control and hospital epidemiology 26, no. 1 (January 2005): 21-30. Full Text
- Davila, JA, Brooks, JM, Pendergast, JF, and Chrischilles, EA. "The effect of physician characteristics and their practice environment on surgical referral patterns for early-stage breast cancer in Iowa." American journal of medical quality : the official journal of the American College of Medical Quality 19, no. 6 (November 2004): 266-273. Full Text
- Ward, MM, Yankey, JW, Vaughn, TE, BootsMiller, BJ, Flach, SD, Welke, KF, Pendergast, JF, Perlin, J, and Doebbeling, BN. "Physician process and patient outcome measures for diabetes care: relationships to organizational characteristics." Medical care 42, no. 9 (September 2004): 840-850. Full Text
- Dougherty, MC, Dwyer, JW, Pendergast, JF, Boyington, AR, Tomlinson, BU, Coward, RT, Duncan, RP, Vogel, B, and Rooks, LG. "A randomized trial of behavioral management for continence with older rural women." Research in nursing & health 25, no. 1 (February 2002): 3-13. Full Text
- Nau, DP, Ried, LD, Lipowski, EE, Kimberlin, C, and Pendergast, J. "A Perceived Value Model for Explaining Patients' Intentions to Continue Use of Pharmaceutical Care Services." Journal of Pharmaceutical Marketing and Management 14, no. 1 (January 1, 2001): 63-80. Full Text
- Littell, RC, Pendergast, J, and Natarajan, R. "Modelling covariance structure in the analysis of repeated measures data." Statistics in medicine 19, no. 13 (July 2000): 1793-1819. (Review) Full Text
- Young, MS, Triggs, WJ, Pendergast, JF, and Heilman, KM. "The effects of selective response preparation on corticospinal excitability." Cortex; a journal devoted to the study of the nervous system and behavior 36, no. 1 (February 2000): 19-29. Full Text
- Nau, DP, Ried, LD, Lipowski, EE, Kimberlin, C, Pendergast, J, and Spivey-Miller, S. "Patients' perceptions of the benefits of pharmaceutical care." Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association (Washington,D.C. : 1996) 40, no. 1 (January 2000): 36-40.
- Powell, SB, Newman, HA, Pendergast, JF, and Lewis, MH. "A rodent model of spontaneous stereotypy: initial characterization of developmental, environmental, and neurobiological factors." Physiology & behavior 66, no. 2 (April 1999): 355-363. Full Text
- Tomlinson, BU, Dougherty, MC, Pendergast, JF, Boyington, AR, Coffman, MA, and Pickens, SM. "Dietary caffeine, fluid intake and urinary incontinence in older rural women." International urogynecology journal and pelvic floor dysfunction 10, no. 1 (January 1999): 22-28. Full Text
- Kimberlin, CL, Pendergast, JF, Berardo, DH, and McKenzie, LC. "Issues related to using a short-form of the Center for Epidemiological Studies-Depression Scale." Psychological reports 83, no. 2 (October 1998): 411-421. Full Text
- Dougherty, MC, Dwyer, JW, Pendergast, JF, Tomlinson, BU, Boyington, AR, Vogel, WB, Duncan, RP, Coward, RT, and Cox, CL. "Community-based nursing: continence care for older rural women." Nursing outlook 46, no. 5 (September 1998): 233-244. Full Text
- Shenkman, E, Pendergast, J, Wegener, DH, Hartzel, T, Naff, R, Freedman, S, and Bucciarelli, R. "Children's health care use in the Healthy Kids Program." Pediatrics 100, no. 6 (December 1997): 947-953. Full Text
- Shenkman, E, Pendergast, J, Reiss, J, Walther, E, Bucciarelli, R, and Freedman, S. "The School Enrollment-Based Health Insurance program: socioeconomic factors in enrollees' use of health services." American journal of public health 86, no. 12 (December 1996): 1791-1793. Full Text
- Pendergast, JF, Gange, SJ, Newton, MA, Lindstrom, MJ, Palta, M, and Fisher, MR. "A survey off methods for analyzing clustered binary response data." International Statistical Review 64, no. 1 (April 1, 1996): 89-118. (Review)
- Pendergast, JF, Kimberlin, CL, Berardo, DH, and McKenzie, LC. "Role orientation and community pharmacists' participation in a project to improve patient care." Social science & medicine (1982) 40, no. 4 (February 1995): 557-565. Full Text
- Berardo, DH, Kimberlin, CL, McKenzie, LC, and Pendergast, JF. "Community pharmacists' documentation of intervention on drug related problems of elderly patients." Journal of Social and Administrative Pharmacy 11, no. 4 (December 1, 1994): 182-193.
- McKenzie, L. "Potential Drug Interactions in a High Risk Ambulatory Elderly Population." Journal of Geriatric Drug Therapy 8, no. 3 (May 20, 1994): 49-63. Full Text
- Kimberlin, CL, Berardo, DH, Pendergast, JF, and McKenzie, LC. "Effects of an education program for community pharmacists on detecting drug-related problems in elderly patients." Medical care 31, no. 5 (May 1993): 451-468.
- Hanson, RR, Nixon, AJ, Gronwall, R, Meyer, D, and Pendergast, J. "Evaluation of peritoneal fluid following intestinal resection and anastomosis in horses." American journal of veterinary research 53, no. 2 (February 1992): 216-221.
- Hanson, RR, Nixon, AJ, Calderwood-Mays, M, Gronwall, R, and Pendergast, JF. "Comparison of staple and suture techniques for end-to-end anastomosis of the small colon in horses." American journal of veterinary research 49, no. 9 (September 1988): 1621-1628.
- Pendergast, JF, and Vogel, WB. "A multistage model of hospital bed requirements." Health Services Research 23, no. 3 (August 1988): 381-399.
- Henry, B, O'Donnell, JF, Pendergast, JF, Moody, LE, and Hutchinson, SA. "Nursing administration research in hospitals and schools of nursing." The Journal of nursing administration 18, no. 2 (February 1988): 28-31.
- Randall, M, Kilpatrick, KE, Pendergast, JF, Jones, KR, and Vogel, WB. "Differences in patient characteristics between Veterans Administration and community hospitals. Implications for VA planning." Medical care 25, no. 11 (November 1987): 1099-1104.
- Henry, B, Moody, LE, Pendergast, JF, O'Donnell, J, Hutchinson, SA, and Scully, G. "Delineation of nursing administration research priorities." Nursing research 36, no. 5 (September 1987): 309-314.
- Agresti, A, and Pendergast, J. "Comparing mean ranks for repeated measures data." Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods 15, no. 5 (January 1986): 1417-1433. Full Text
- Kitchens, CS, and Pendergast, JF. "Human thrombocytopenia is associated with structural abnormalities of the endothelium that are ameliorated by glucocorticosteroid administration." Blood 67, no. 1 (January 1986): 203-206.
- Pendergast, JF, and Broffitt, JD. "Robust estimation in growth curve models." Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods 14, no. 8 (January 1985): 1919-1939. Full Text
- Caton, D, Pendergast, JF, and Bazer, FW. "Uterine blood flow: periodic fluctuations of its rate during pregnancy." The American journal of physiology 245, no. 6 (December 1983): R850-R852.
- Caton, D, Pendergast, JF, and Bazer, FW. "Uterine blood flow: Periodic fluctuations of its rate during pregnancy." American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology 14, no. 6 (December 1, 1983).
- Silverstein, JH, Rosenbloom, AL, Clarke, DW, Spillar, R, and Pendergast, JF. "Accuracy of two systems for blood glucose monitoring without a meter (Chemstrip/Visidex)." Diabetes care 6, no. 6 (November 1983): 533-535. Full Text
- Teaching & Mentoring
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.