Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
Awards & Honors
- CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title Award. American Library Association. 2014
- Millard Meiss Publication Fund. College Art Association. 2011
- Lansdowne Visiting Distinguished Scholar. English Department, University of Victoria. 2010
- School of Historical Studies/ Members. Institute for Advanced Study. 1999
- Fellow. National Humanities Center. 1995
- Fellow. John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. 1990
- Senior Fellow. Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts. 1989
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Antliff, M, and Leighten, P. Le cubisme devant ses contemporains – Documents et critiques (1906-1914). Paris,: Les presses du réel, 2019. (Edited Book)
- Leighten, P. The Liberation of Painting: Modernism and Anarchism in Avant-Guerre Paris. : University of Chicago Press, 2013.
- Antliff, M, and Leighten P, . A Cubism Reader: Documents and Criticism, 1906-1914. : University of Chicago Press, 2008.
- Leighten, P, Antliff, and M, . Cubisme et culture. Trans. Diebold, C-M. Paris,: Thames and Hudson, 2002. (Monograph)
- Antliff, M, and Leighten, P. Cubism and Culture. : London and New York: Thames and Hudson, 2001. (Monograph)
- Leighten, P. Re-Ordering the Universe: Picasso and Anarchism, 1897-1914. : Princeton University Press, 1989.
- Leighten, P. "Anarchist satire in pre-world War I Paris: The case of František Kupka." Sub Stance 46.2 (January 1, 2017): 50-70. Full Text
- Leighten, P. "The world turned upside down: Modernism and anarchist strategies of inversion in L'assiette au beurre." Journal of Modern Periodical Studies 4.2 (January 1, 2013): 133-170. Full Text
- Leighten, P. "Modernist Abstraction, Anarchist Antimilitarism, and War." Anarchist Developments in Cultural Studies (January 2012).
- Leighten, P. "Artists in Times of War: Response to Ariel Dorfman’s 'Picasso’s Closet'." Art Bulletin (March 2009).
- Leighten P, . "Passionate Discontent: Creativity, Gender, and French Symbolist Art by Patricia Mathews." Modernism/Modernity 8 (April 2001): 369-371. (Review) Link to Item
- Leighten, P. "Picasso's century (Comments on Pablo Picasso's The 'Frugal Repast', 'Head of a Sleeping Woman', 'Standing Nude', 'Painter and Model Knitting', and 'Face of Marie-Therese')." Queens Quarterly 105.2 (1998): 217-227. Link to Item
- Leighten, P. "Kees van Dongen: Art, Anarchism, & Audience." Ideas IV/2 (1996): 46-52.
- Leighten, P. "Reveil Anarchiste: Salon Painting, Political Satire, Modernist Art." Modernism/Modernity II (April 1995): 17-47. Link to Item
- Leighten, P. "Cubist Anachronisms: Ahistoricity, Cryptoformalism, And Business-As-Usual in New York." Oxford Art Journal XVII (October 1994): 91-102. Link to Item
- Leighten, P. "Editor’s Statement: Revising Cubism." Art Journal 47.4 (December 1, 1988): 269-276. Full Text
- Leighten, P. "La Propagande par le rire: Satire and Subversion in Apollinaire, Jarry and Picasso's Collages." Gazette Des Beaux Arts CXII (October 1988): 163-172.
- Leighten, P. "Clarence john laughlin: The art and thought of an american surrealist." History of Photography 12.2 (January 1, 1988): 129-146. Full Text
- Leighten, P. "The Dreams and Lies of Picasso." Arts Magazine LXII.2 (October 1987): 50-55.
- Leighten, P. "Picasso's Collages and the Threat of War, 1912-13." The Art Bulletin 67.4 (December 1985): 653-672. Full Text Link to Item
- Leighten, PD. "Critical Attitudes toward Overtly Manipulated Photography in the 20th Century." Art Journal 37.4 (June 1, 1978): 313-321. Full Text
- Leighten, PD. "Critical Attitudes toward Overtly Manipulated Photography in the 20th Century." Art Journal 37.2 (December 1, 1977): 133-138. Full Text
- Leighten, P. "DeCarava at the Witkin." Photograph I (1977): 14 and 28-null.
- Leighten, P, and Antliff, M. "Anarchist Modernism after Signac: Fauvism, Futurism, Cubism." Paris 1900 and Post-Impressionism: Signac and the Indépendants. Ed. Desmarais, M-D, Genty, G and Bondil, N. Montreal.: Musée des Beaux-Arts. 2020. (Essay)
- Leighten, P. "A Politics of Technique: Fauvism and Anarchist Individualism." Anarchism and the Avant-Garde: Radical Arts and Politics in Perspective. Ed. Kosuch, C. Leiden.: Brill. 2019. (Essay)
- Leighten, P. "Le Début de l’engagement politique de Picasso: l’anarchisme et le modernisme en Espagne et en France (1897-1914)." Picasso et la guerre. Paris.: Gallimard/Musée de l’Armée/Musée national Picasso-Paris. 2019. (Essay)
- Leighten, P. "America, with Burk Uzzle." All About America: Photographs by Burk Uzzle. Chapel Hill, NC.: Ackland Museum of Art, University of North Carolina. 2016. (Essay)
- Leighten, P. "Embattled Cubism: Picasso, Rivera and World War I." Picasso and Rivera: Conversations Across Time. Los Angeles.: Los Angeles County Museum of Art. 2016. (Essay)
- Leighten, P. "Café Scene; Salomé; Head of a Woman; Vase, Gourd and Fruit; Scallop Shells on a Piano; Still Life with Calling Card; and Ace of Clubs." Picasso and the Allure of Language. Ed. Fisher, SG.: Yale University Press. 2009.
- Leighten, P. "Réveil anarchiste: Salon Painting, Political Satire, Modernist Art." Realizing the Impossible: Art Against Authority. Ed. Ruin, E, MacPhee, J and Press, AK. 2007.
- Antliff, M, and Leighten P, . "Primitive." Critical Terms for Art History. Ed. Nelson, R, Shiff, R and Press, UOC. 2003.
- Leighten, P. "Colonialism, l’art nègre, and les Demoiselles d’Avignon." Picasso’s Les Demoiselles d’Avignon. Ed. Green, C and Cambridge University Press, . 2001. (Chapter)
- Leighten, P. "Gary Kuehn: Metaphor and Metamorphosis." Gary Kuehn,. 1988. 4-21.
Exhibitions, Screenings, & Performances
Artistic Works & Non-Print Media
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- Photography and Anti-Authoritarianism: The Inter- and Postwar Career of Henri Cartier-Bresson. Fascism and the International Workshop. Melbourne Law School, University of Melbourne. May 24, 2018 - May 26, 2018 2018
- Cosmopolitan Cubism, Provincial Paris. Seminar: Other Criteria. Cubism(s) in Modern Art. Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid. April 5, 2018 2018
- Picasso and Rivera: A Conversation Across Time. Fascism and the International: Yesterday and Tomorrow. Palacio de Bellas Artes, Mexico City. June 17, 2017 2017
- A Politics of Technique: Fauvism and Anarchist Individualism. International Workshop: Anarchism in Culture. Re-assessing the Influence of a Manifold Libertarian Concept on European Modernity (1820s-1930s). German Historical Institute, Rome. September 2016 2016
- Embattled Cubism: Picasso, Rivera and World War I. Barnes Foundation. April 10, 2016 2016
- Ethics and the ‘Decisive Moment’: The Photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson's Anarchist Individualism. Annual meeting. Modernist Studies Association, Boston. November 2015 2015
- The Secret Life of Henri Cartier-Bresson. Norman L. and Roselea J. Goldberg Lecture in Art History. Vanderbilt University. November 6, 2014 2014
- Picasso and His Times. Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art. March 29, 2014 2014
- A Politics of Technique: Fauvism and Anarchist Individualism. Symposium: 'Ideas that Bind: Approaches to Modernist Groups and Networks'. History of Art Department, York University (UK). July 12, 2013 2013
- Modernism, Antimilitarism and World War I. Conference series: 'Under the Sign of Amadeo'. Art History Institute, Universidade Nova de Lisboa (Portugal). July 12, 2013 2013
- Picasso and His Times. Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto. April 30, 2012 2012
- “From Mutual Aid to Radical Individualism: Neoimpressionism and Fauvism in Light of Anarchist Aesthetic Theory". Symposium: Pissarro's Politics in Context: Anarchism and the Arts in France, 1849-1900. Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, MA. September 10, 2011 2011
- Resistance Begins at Home: Anticolonialism andVisual Culture. Annual meeting. College Art Association. February 2011 2011
- Modernism, Antimilitarism and War (and podcast). Keynote. Modernist Studies Association. November 11, 2010 2010
- A 'Rationale of Ugliness': Primitivism, Cubism and Its Audience, 1908-13. Norma U. Lifton Memorial Lecture in Art History. School of the Art Institute of Chicago. October 1, 2010 2010
- May Ray, Cubism and Primitivism. University of New Mexico Art Museum. April 6, 2010 2010
- Expatriates and Exiles. UAAC Annual Conference. December 6, 2008 2008
- Symposium: Modernism and Antimodernism: Theories, Visions, Ideologies, Politics, National Museum of Romanian Literature and the Amfiteatru Foundation. December 6, 2008 2008
- A ‘Rationale of Ugliness’: Primitivism, Cubism and Its Audience. University of Iowa. February 8, 2008 2008
Service to the Profession
- Juror : National Humanities Center. 2013 2013
- Art Bulletin. 2012 2012
- Reader's Report. December 17, 2011 2011
- Reviewer for Promotion and Tenure. December 17, 2011 2011
- Session co-chair, with Marco Deyasi : College Art Association Annual Meeting. February 10, 2011 2011
- University of California Press, referee. December 16, 2010 2010
- Juror : ACLS. 2009 2009
- Outside Evaluator : Hobart and William Smith Colleges, promotion. 2009 2009
- UAAC Annual conference, Toronto, Session Co-organizer with Mark Cheetham and Mark Antliff : 'Modernist Expatriates'. 2008 2008
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.