Education, Training, & Certifications
- Ph.D., University of Calgary 1991
- Publications & Artistic Works
- MacEachern, S. Searching for Boko Haram A History of Violence in Central Africa. : Oxford University Press, February 2018.
- Lavachery, P, MacEachern, S, Bouimon, T, and Mbida, C. Komé – Kribi: rescue archaeology along the Chad-Cameroon Oil Pipeline, 1999-2004/ De Komé à Kribi: archéologie preventive le long l'Oléoduc Tchad-Cameroun, 1999-2004. Frankfurt,: Africa Magna Verlag, 2010.
- MacEachern, S. "Globalization: Contact between West Africa, North Africa and Europe during the European medieval period." In Routledge handbook of archaeology and globalization, edited by Hodos, T, 90-103. London,: Routledge, 2016.
- MacEachern, S. "What was the Wandala state, and who are the Wandala?." In Ethnic ambiguity and the African past: materiality, history, and the shaping of cultural identities, edited by Richard, F and MacDonald, K, 172-191. Walnut Creek, CA,: Left Coast Press, 2015.
- MacEachern, S. "African models in global histories." In Theory in Africa, Africa in theory: locating meaning in archaeology, edited by Wynne-Jones, S and Fleisher, J, 19-37. London,: Routledge, 2015.
- MacEachern, S. "Time on the timeless continent: history and archaeological chronologies in the southern Lake Chad Basin." In Big histories, human lives: tackling problems of scale in archaeology, edited by Pauketat, TR and Robb, J, 123-144. Santa Fe,: School for Advanced Research Press, 2013.
- MacEachern, S. "Genetics and archaeology." In Oxford handbook of African archaeology, edited by Lane, P and Mitchell, P, 65-76. Oxford,: Oxford University Press, 2013.
- MacEachern, S. "Rethinking the Mandara political landscape: enslavement, climate and an entry into history in the second millennium AD." In Power and landscape in Atlantic West Africa: archaeological perspectives, edited by Ogundiran, A and Monroe, JC, 309-338. Cambridge,: Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- MacEachern, S. "The prehistory and early history of the northern Mandara Mountains and surrounding plains." In Metals in Mandara Mountains’ society and culture, edited by David, N, 29-67. Trenton, NJ,: Africa World Press, 2012.
- MacEachern, S. "Enslavement and everyday life: living with slave raiding in the northern Mandara Mountains of Cameroon." In Slavery in Africa: archaeology and memory, edited by Lane, P and MacDonald, K, 109-124. Oxford,: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- MacEachern, S. "Two thousand years of West African history." In African archaeology: a critical introduction, edited by Stahl, A, 441-466. London,: Blackwell, 2005.
- MacEachern, S. "Residuals and resistance: languages and history in the Mandara Mountains." In When languages collide: perspectives on language conflict, language competition and language coexistence, edited by Joseph, B, Destefano, J, Jacobs, N and Lehiste, I, 21-44. Columbus,: The Ohio State University Press, 2002.
- MacEachern, S. "State formation and enslavement in the southern Lake Chad Basin." In West Africa during the Atlantic slave trade: archaeological perspectives, edited by DeCorse, C, 130-151. London,: Leicester University Press, 2001.
- MacEachern, S. "Setting the boundaries: linguistics, ethnicity, colonialism, and archaeology south of Lake Chad." In Archaeology, language, and history: essays on culture and ethnicity, edited by Terrell, J, 79-101. Westport,: Bergin & Garvey, 2001.
- MacEachern, S. "Scale, style, and cultural variation: technological traditions in the northern Mandara Mountains." In The Archaeology of Social Boundaries, edited by Stark, M, 107-131. Washington, D.C.,: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1998.
- MacEachern, S. "Iron Age beginnings north of the Mandara Mountains, Cameroon and Nigeria." In Aspects of African archaeology: proceedings of the Tenth Pan-African Congress, edited by Pwiti, G and Soper, R, 489-495. Harare,: University of Zimbabwe Press, 1996.
- David, N, and MacEachern, S. "The Mandara Archaeological Project: preliminary results of the 1984 season." In Le milieu et les hommes: recherches comparitives et historiques dans le bassin du Lac Tchad, edited by Barreteau, D and Tourneux, H, 51-80. Paris,: Editions de l'ORSTOM, 1988.
- MacEachern, S. "The material correlates of Wandala statehood." Households and communities: the 33rd annual Chacmool Conference. 2000.
- Wright, DK, MacEachern, S, Choi, J, Choi, J-H, Lang, C, and Djoussou, J-MD. "Iron Age Landscapes of the Benue River Valley, Cameroon." Journal of Field Archaeology 42, no. 5 (September 3, 2017): 394-407. Full Text
- Cunningham, JJ, and MacEachern, S. "Ethnoarchaeology as slow science." World Archaeology 48, no. 5 (October 19, 2016): 628-641. Full Text Open Access Copy
- O'Brien, JD, Lin, K, and MacEachern, S. "Mixture model of pottery decorations from Lake Chad Basin archaeological sites reveals ancient segregation patterns." Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 283, no. 1827 (March 30, 2016): 20152824-20152824. Full Text Open Access Copy
- Wright, DK, MacEachern, S, and Lee, J. "Analysis of Feature Intervisibility and Cumulative Visibility Using GIS, Bayesian and Spatial Statistics: A Study from the Mandara Mountains, Northern Cameroon." Edited by Kumar, L. Plos One 9, no. 11 (November 10, 2014): e112191-e112191. Full Text Open Access Copy
- MacEachern, S, and David, N. "Monumental architecture in mountain landscapes: the diy-geδ-bay sites of northern Cameroon." Azania: Archaeological Research in Africa 48, no. 2 (June 2013): 241-262. Full Text Open Access Copy
- MacEachern, S, Scott, D, Datouang Djoussou, J, and Carlson, M. "A cache of iron artifacts from the DGB-1 site, northern Cameroon: metallurgical analysis and ethnoarchaeological analogies." Journal of African Archaeology 11, no. 1 (2013): 39-54. Open Access Copy
- MacEachern, S. "Wandala and the DGB sites: political centralisation and its alternatives north of the Mandara Mountains, Cameroon." Azania: Archaeological Research in Africa 47, no. 3 (September 2012): 272-287. Full Text
- MacEachern, S. "The Holocene History of the Southern Lake Chad Basin: Archaeological, Linguistic and Genetic Evidence." African Archaeological Review 29, no. 2-3 (September 2012): 253-271. Full Text
- MacEachern, S, Datouang Djoussou, JM, and Janson, R. "Research at DGB-1 and DGB-2, northern Cameroon, 2010-2011." Nyame Akuma 78 (2012): 6-16.
- MacEachern, S. "Seeing like an oil company’s CHM programme." Journal of Social Archaeology 10, no. 3 (October 2010): 347-366. Full Text
- MacEachern, S, Datouang Djoussou, J, and Janson, R. "Excavations at DGB-1, northern Cameroon, 2008." Nyame Akuma 73 (2010): 37-45.
- MacEachern, S. "Where in Africa does Africa start? Identity, genetics and African Studies from the Sahara to Darfur." Journal of Social Archaeology 7, no. 3 (2007): 393-412.
- MacEachern, S. "Africanist archaeology and ancient IQ: racial science and cultural evolution in the 21st century." World Archaeology 38, no. 1 (2006): 72-92.
- Lavachery, P, MacEachern, S, Bouimon, T, Gouem Gouem, B, Kinyock, P, Mbairo, J, Mbida, C, and Nkokonda, O. "Cultural heritage management in Central Africa: regional survey on the Chad - Cameroon oil pipeline." Antiquity 79, no. 303 (2005). Link to Item
- Lavachery, P, MacEachern, S, Bouimon, T, Gouem Gouem, B, Kinyock, P, Mbairo, J, and Nkokonda, O. "Komé to Ebomé: archaeological research for the Chad Export Project, 1999-2003." Journal of African Archaeology 3, no. 2 (2005): 175-193.
- MacEachern, S. "Beyond the belly of the house: space and power in the Mandara Mountains." Journal of Social Archaeology 2, no. 2 (2002): 179-219.
- MacEachern, S. "Montagnard ethnicity and genetic relations in Northern Cameroon: comment on ?the peopling of sub-Saharan Africa: The case study of Cameroon,? by G. Spedini et al." American Journal of Physical Anthropology 114, no. 4 (April 2001): 357-360. Full Text
- MacEachern, S, Bourges, C, and Reeves, M. "Early horse remains from northern Cameroon." Antiquity 75, no. 287 (2001): 62-67.
- MacEachern, S. "Cultural resource management and Africanist archaeology." Antiquity 75, no. 290 (2001): 866-871.
- MacEachern, S. "Genes, Tribes, and African History." Current Anthropology 41, no. 3 (June 2000): 357-384. Full Text
- MacEachern, S. "Genes, tribes, and African history." Current Anthropology 41 (2000): 357-384.
- Bourges, C, MacEachern, S, and Reeves, M. "Excavations at Aissa Hardé, 1995 and 1996." Nyame Akuma 51 (1999): 6-13.
- MacEachern, S. "Foreign countries: The development of ethnoarchaeology in sub-Saharan Africa." Journal of World Prehistory 10, no. 3 (September 1996): 243-304. Full Text
- MacEachern, S. "'Symbolic reservoirs' and inter-group relations: west african examples." African Archaeological Review 12 (1994): 205-224.
- MacEachern, S. "Selling the iron for their shackles: Wandala-montagnard interactions in northern Cameroon." Journal of African History 34, no. 2 (1993): 247-270.
- MacEachern, S. "Archaeological research in northern Cameroon, 1992: the Projet Maya-Wandala." Nyame Akuma 39 (1993): 7-13.
- MacEachern, S. "Ethnicity and stylistic variation around Mayo Plata, northern Cameroon." African Commitment: Papers in Honor of Peter Lewis Shinnie (1992): 211-230.
- David, N, MacEachern, S, Sterner, J, and Gavua, K. "Ethnicity and material culture in north Cameroon." Canadian Journal of Archaeology 15 (1991): 171-177.
- MacEachern, S. "The Origin of Civilization." (2010).
- MacEachern, S. "Du Kunde: processes of montagnard ethnogenesis in the northern Mandara Mountains of Cameroon." . Link to Item
- MacEachern, S. Report on archaeological road survey between Beibokoum and Doba, southern Chad, June - July, 2000. : Report submitted to ExxonMobil Corporation, 2001.
- MacEachern, S. Report on archaeological survey between Mbéré and Doba, southern Chad, April - May 1999. : Report submitted to ExxonMobil Corporation, 1999.
Theses and Dissertations
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.