Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
- Director of First-Year Writing of Thompson Writing Program, Thompson Writing Program, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2012 - 2017
- Assistant Professor of the Practice of Rhetoric in the University Writing Program, Thompson Writing Program, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2008 - 2015
- Interim Director of the Thompson Writing Program, Thompson Writing Program, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2012
In the News
SEP 2, 2014
MAY 2, 2014
NOV 15, 2013 Durham Herald-Sun
NOV 5, 2013
OCT 4, 2013
Awards & Honors
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Comer, DK. Writing in Transit. A WID Reader. Fountainhead Press, 2015.
- Comer, DK, and Garrett, BG. It’s Just a Dissertation. Transforming Your Dissertation From Daunting to Doable to Done. Fountainhead Press, 2014.
- Writing in Transit with Readings (In preparation). Edited by DK Comer. Dallas, TX: Fountainhead Press.
- Comer, DK. Writing for Success in College and Beyond: A Webtext. Dallas, TX: Fountainhead Press.
- Baker, RS, Wang, Y, Paquette, L, Aleven, V, Popescu, O, Sewall, J, Rosé, C, Tomar, GS, Ferschke, O, Zhang, J, Cennamo, MJ, Ogden, S, Condit, T, Diaz, J, Crossley, S, McNamara, DS, Comer, DK, Lynch, CF, Brown, R, Barnes, T, and Bergner, Y. "Educational data mining: A MOOC experience." In Data Mining And Learning Analytics: Applications in Educational Research, 55-66. October 14, 2016. Full Text
- Comer, DK. "Learning How to Teach … Differently: Extracts from a MOOC Instructor’s Journal." In The MOOC Invasion, edited by S Krause and C Lowe. Parlor Press, 2014.
- Comer, DK. "MOOCs Offer Students Opportunity to Grow as Writers." In Proceedings of the 7th International Mult-Conference on Society, Cybernetics and Informatics: IMSCI 2013. July 9-12, 2013. Orlando, Florida. 2013.
- Comer, DK, and Hammer, B. "“Surveying the Efficacy of Digital Response: Pedagogical Imperatives, Faculty Approaches, and Student Feedback." In Teaching Writing with Technology. Fountainhead Press, 2008.
- Comer, DK. ""Negotiating Privilege in the Teaching of Travel Literature"." In Methods for Teaching Travel Literature and Writing. Exploring the World and Self, edited by E Groom. Peter Lang, 2005.
- Comer, DK. "Helen Lady Dufferin, Countess of Gifford." In Dictionary of Literary Biography, edited by WB Thesing, 127-135. Detroit: Gale Research, 1999. (Chapter)
- Comer, DK. "The Impact of E-Reading on Writing Programs." In Writing Program Administrators Conference Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 15-18 July 2010. .
- Comer, DK. "Fostering Multidisciplinary Pedagogies." In International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, Madrid, Spain, 15-17 November 2010. .
- Comer, DK, and White, EM. "Adventuring into MOOC Writing Assessment: Challenges, Results, and Possibilities." COLLEGE COMPOSITION AND COMMUNICATION 67, no. 3 (February 2016): 318-359. Link to Item
- Ahern-Dodson, J, and Comer, DK. "The iPad and Writing in the Disciplines." Writing Across the Curriculum (January 2014). (Academic Article)
- Comer, DK, Clark, CR, and Canelas, DA. "Writing to learn and learning to write across the disciplines: Peer-to-peer writing in introductory-level MOOCs." International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning 15, no. 5 (January 1, 2014): 26-82. Open Access Copy
- Comer, DK. "“This Erstwhile Unreadable Text”: Multidisciplinarity and First-Year Writing Faculty Teaching Mentoring and Support." Teaching/Writing (January 2014). (Academic Article)
- Ahern-Dodson, J, and Comer, DK. "Multidisciplinarity and the Tablet: A Study of Writing Practices." Writing Across the Curriculum 24 (2013): 63-82.
- Comer, DK. "Translation and Transfer: Interdisciplinary Writing and Communication." Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics 11 (2013): 106-112. (Academic Article)
- Benz, B, Comer, DK, Lowry, M, and Juergensmeyer, E. "WPAs, Writing Programs and the Common Reading Experience." Writing Program Administrators 37 (2011): 11-32.
- Comer, DK. "Bending the Gaze: Transparency, Reciprocity and Supervisory Classroom Visits." Pedagogy 11 (2011).
- Comer, DK. "Changing Tables and Changing Culture: Pregnancy, Parenting, and First-Year Writing." Composition Studies 37, no. 2 (October 2009): 91-113. (Academic Article)
- Comer, DK. "'White child is good, black child his [or her] slave': Children, Women, and Empire in Early Ninteenth-Century India." European Romantic Review 16, no. 1 (January 2005): 39-58. (Academic Article)
- Comer, DK, and Wang, E. "Negativity in MOOCs: Impacts on Learning and Teaching and How Instructional Teams May Be Able to Address It (In preparation)." InSight: A Journal of Scholarly Teaching .
- Comer, DK. "Review of "First Books and Second Books: SWR Authors Talk about Developing Book-Length Projects"." Kairos (2012). (Review)
- Comer, DK. "Review of "Patient Genres as Rhetorical Sites of Agency, Resistance, and Expertise"." (2012). (Review)
- Teaching & Mentoring
- ARTS&SCI 101D: Inquiry and Research across Disciplines: An Introduction to Quantitative and Qualitative Reasoning 2018
- ARTS&SCI 205S: Composing Oneself: Stress, Identity, and Wellness 2018
- ETHICS 205S: Composing Oneself: Stress, Identity, and Wellness 2018
- WRITING 101: Academic Writing 2018
- WRITING 165S: Making Your Voice Heard: The Arts of Oral Communication, Critical Speaking, and Digital Rhetoric 2018
- WRITING 205S: Composing Oneself: Stress, Identity, and Wellness 2018
- WRITING 270: Composing the Internship Experience: Digital Rhetoric and Social Media Discourse 2018
- ARTS&SCI 89S: Special Topics: First-Year Seminar 2017
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- Composition MOOCs and Pedagogy by the Thousands: Reflections on Four Open Education Innovations. March 20, 2014 2014
- Writing to Learn and Learning to Write across the Disciplines: Peer-to-Peer Writing in Introductory-Level MOOCs. December 6, 2013 2013
- Teaching and Learning Writing in a MOOC: Implications, Outcomes, and Reflections. July 19, 2013 2013
- MOOCs Offer Students Opportunity to Grow as Writers. July 11, 2013 2013
- Academic Writing for Inter-Disciplinary Communication. July 10, 2013 2013
- Reframing, Managing, and Learning to Embrace MOOC Negativity (Submitted Proposal, Under Considerration). April 1, 2013 2013
- Bridging Medicine, Writing, and Photography through a Community Partnership. February 16, 2013 2013
- Composition MOOCs and Pedagogy by the Thousands: Reflections on Four Open Education Innovations. January 3, 2013 2013
- Teaching Writing at Scale and Online. January 3, 2013 2013
- Safety Nets and Golden Handcuffs: Renewable Faculty Appointments in First-year Writing Programs. July 15, 2011 2011
- iPads & Writing-Intensive Courses: A Multidisciplinary Perspective. April 1, 2011 2011
- The Impact of E-Reading on Writing Programs. July 1, 2010 2010
- Incorporating Writing into the Liberal Learning Seminar. June 1, 2010 2010
- Fostering Multidisciplinary Pedagogies. January 21, 2010 2010
- Reformulating Success: Transitioning Duke’s First-Year Students from the Five-Paragraph. October 1, 2009 2009
- Common Reading. Common Writing. July 1, 2009 2009
- Increasing Exclusivity and Inclusivity in Higher-Education Access. September 22, 2008 2008
Service to the Profession
- Faculty Sponsor : MedLife. 2011 2011
- Coordinator : Ronald McDonald House Family Story Project. 2010 2010
- Coordinator and Student Supervisor : Workshop: Writing is Easy. 2010 - 2011 2010 - 2011
- Joint meeting between Athletics and TWP Faculty and Tutors. October 2009 2009
- Writing 191 Showcase. November 26, 2008 2008
- Writing 20 Beyond Duke. November 26, 2008 2008
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.