Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
- Director, Undergraduate Studies, Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2009 - 2012
- Associate Professor of the Practice of Korean, Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2005 - 2011
- Interim Chair, Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 2009 - 2011
- Assistant Professor of the Practice of Korean, Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences 1998 - 2005
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Wolfe-Quintero, K, Inagaki, S, and Kim, H-Y. Second language development: Measures of fluency, accuracy & complexity. Second Language Teaching and Curriculum Center, University of Hawaii Press, 1998.
- Kim, E, and Kim, H-Y. "A case for instructional focus on pragmatics: Request strategies of advanced Japanese learners of Korean." In Teaching and Learning Korean as a Foreign Language, edited by AS Byon and DO Pyun. 2012.
- Kim, H. "Korean in the United States." In Language Diversity in the U.S, edited by K Potowski, 164-178. Cambridge University Press, July 2010.
- Lee, JS, and Kim, H-Y. "Heritage language learners’ attitudes, motivations and instructional needs: The case of post-secondary Korean language learners." In Teaching Chinese, Japanese and Korean Heritage Students: Curriculum Needs, Materials and Assessment, edited by K Kondo-Brown and JD Brown, 159-185. Mahwah, NJ:Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2008.
- Kim, H-Y, and Lee, E. "The development of tense and aspect morphology in L2 Korean." In Frontiers of Korean language Acquisition, edited by JJ Song. London: Saffron Books, 2007.
- Kim, H. "Communicative approaches to teaching Korean." In Studies on Korean in Community Schools [in Korean], edited by D Lee, S Cho, M Lee, M Song, and W O Grady. Second Language Teaching and Curriculum Center. University of Hawaii Press, 2000.
- Kim, H. "Input modification: comprehensible or perceptible input?." In Linguistics and language teaching: proceedings, edited by C Reves, C Steele, and C Wong. University of Hawaii Press, 1996.
- Kim, H. "Intake from the speech stream." In Attention and awareness in foreign language learning, edited by Schmidt. University of Hawaii Press, 1995.
- Kim, H. "“Connections” for developing cultural content in Korean language curriculum 한국어 교육과 문화 교수의 연계." Seoul, Korea: International Association of Korean Language Education, 2015. Open Access Copy
- Kim, H. "Teaching of reference and address terms in discourse context [In Korean] (담화 문맥에서 지칭어와 호칭어의 사용)." 2013.
- Kim, H. "The status of the art of research on Korean heritage speakers in North America [In Korean] (영어권 한국어 계승어 학습자 연구 현황과 과제)." 2013.
- Kim, H. "Content-Based Language Teaching: A model for bridging with Korean Studies [In Korean] (한국학과의 접목을 위한 내용 중심 한국어 교육)." 2011.
- Kim, H. "Re-focusing of instruction on relative clauses [In Korean] (관형절 교수법의 재조명)." 2007.
- Kim, H. "Construction of language and culture in a content-based language class." 2005.
- Kim, H. "Korean Language in America 9: Papers from the ninth annual conference and professional development workshop." The American Association of Teachers of Korean, 2004.
- Kim, H. "Heritage students’ perspectives on language classes." The American Association of Teachers of Korean, 2003.
- Kim, H. "Strategies for improving accuracy in KSL writing: Developmental errors and an error-correction code." 2000.
- "CURRICULUM/CURRICULAR FRAMEWORK." The Korean Language in America 19, no. 2 (2016): 178-178. Full Text
- Cho, , Kang, , Kim, , Lee, , Wang, , Kim, , Kim, , and Suh, . "OVERVIEW." The Korean Language in America 19, no. 2 (2016): 153-153. Full Text
- Kim, H, and Choi, Y. "Development of Aspect Morphology in Korean." Journall of Language Science 23, no. 4 (2016): 203-225.
- Kim, H. "Socially engaged writing in the KFL class: a post-product, post-process approach." Language Facts and Perspectives 37 (2016): 119-148. Open Access Copy
- Kim, H. "Development of NP forms and discourse reference in L2 Korean." Edited by H-M Sohn. Korean Language in America (special issue): Innovations in Teaching Korean (2012): 211-235.
- Kim, H. "Factors in the choice of referential forms in Korean discourse: Salience, speaker perspective and thematic importance." The Korean Language in America 14 (2009): 1-24.
- Kim, H. "Commentary." Edited by JS Lee and SJ Shin. Heritage Language Journal 6 (2008): 94-104. (Scholarly Commentary)
- Jeon, KS, and Kim, HY. "Development of relativization in Korean as a foreign language: The noun phrase accessibility hierarchy in head-internal and head-external relative clauses." Studies in Second Language Acquisition 29, no. 2 (June 1, 2007): 253-276. Full Text
- Lee, E, and Kim, H-Y. "On cross-linguistic variations in imperfective aspect: the case of L2 Korean." Language Learning 57, no. 4 (2007): 651-685. (Academic Article)
- Lee, E, and Kim, H. "Reference to past and past perfect in L2 Korean." Edited by H-S Wang. The Korean Language in America 12 (2007): 67-84.
- Kim, H. The trend and prospect of Korean language education in the United States 미국의 한국어 교육 발전 추세와 전망 (Submitted). Seoul, Korea: Korea Foundtaion, July 24, 2015. Open Access Copy
- Teaching & Mentoring
- AMES 518S: Approaches and Practices in Second Language Pedagogy 2018
- EDUC 518S: Approaches and Practices in Second Language Pedagogy 2018
- KOREAN 408S: Issues in Korean Language and Society II 2018
- LINGUIST 518S: Approaches and Practices in Second Language Pedagogy 2018
- AMES 308S: Bilingualism 2017
- KOREAN 455S: Korean Politics and Society: Academic Reading and Writing 2017
- LINGUIST 308S: Bilingualism 2017
- AMES 495: Collaborative Research Projects 2016
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
- 학술적 글쓰기 교육: 저자 입지의 탐색과 표명 (Academic literacy: Marking of authorial stance in advanced KHL writing practice). The 22nd Annual Meeting of the American Association of Teachers of Korean. July 1, 2017 2017
- The humanities in the neo-liberal and globalized world: focus on languages and cultures. Dong-A University CORE 2016 International conference: Humanities of memory and representation. Dong-A University. December 28, 2016 2016
- Content-driven, socially engaged writing: an experiment in mixed level advanced classes. Dept. of East Asian Languages and Cultures. Washington University in St. Louis. September 29, 2016 2016
- A proposal for integrative approach to teaching address and reference terms. Conference on research and teaching of Korean language in Vietnam. The Korean Research Association of Vietnam. August 14, 2015 2015
- “Connections” for developing cultural content in Korean language curriculum. The 25th International Conference on Korean Language Education. International Association of Korean Language Education . August 9, 2015 2015
- The trend and prospect of Korean language education in the United States. KF Korean Studies Assembly 2015. Korea Foundation . July 24, 2015 2015
- The status of the art of research on Korean heritage speakers in North America. The 17th international conference of The Korean Society of Bilingualism . November 2, 2013 2013
- Teaching of reference and address terms in discourse context. The 23rd international conference of IAKLE (International Association of Korean Language Education). August 11, 2013 2013
- Teaching writing in advanced classes: a post-product, post-process approach. Center for World Languages & the UCLA Asia Institute. January 23, 2013 2013
- Content-Based Language Teaching: A model for bridging with Korean Studies. The Graduate School of Teaching Foreign Languages, Ewha Womans University. October 22, 2012 2012
- Korean as a heritage language: On being bilingual in the U.S.. The 2012 fall conference of the Association for the Education of Korean Language and Culture. October 13, 2012 2012
- Third-person reference in L2 Korean oral narrative discourse: Use of pronominal forms and demonstratives by L1 English learners. 2011 National Conference on Korean Flagship Initiative. University of Hawaii at Manoa. May 1, 2011 2011
Service to the Profession
- Editor in Chief, The Korean Languge in America . June 2017 2017
- Reviewer. UISFL (Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language Program) Grant Project. Stony Brook University. March 11, 2016 - March 12, 2016 2016
- President of the AATK (American Association of Teachers of Korean). July 2012 - June 2015 2012 - 2015
- Co-convener of AATK Working Group for 5C Standards-based College Korean Curriculum . January 2012 - May 2015 2012 - 2015
- Program chair of the 17th annual meeting of the AATK. November 2011 - June 2012 2011 - 2012
- Executive Secretary of the AATK. July 2009 - June 2012 2009 - 2012
- Member of the Taskforce for Standards for Korean Language Learning in the 21st Century. February 2009 - December 2009 2009
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.