Education, Training, & Certifications
Duke Appointment History
- Novel Receptor-Ligand Interactions in Glomerulonephritis awarded by National Institutes of Health 2011 - 2017
- Hemodialysis Vascular Access Clinical Trials Consortium awarded by National Institutes of Health 2000 - 2009
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Traynor, C, and Kovalik, EC. "Clinical management of chronic kidney disease." In Nephrology Secrets: Fourth Edition, 162-168. March 30, 2018. Full Text
- Ortiz-Melo, DI, and Kovalik, EC. "Methods of Hemodialysis Anticoagulation." In Handbook of Dialysis Therapy: Fifth Edition, 191-204.e1. November 8, 2016. Full Text
- Haley, WE, Gilbert, ON, Riley, RF, Newman, JC, Roumie, CL, Whittle, J, Kronish, IM, Tamariz, L, Wiggers, A, Morisky, DE, Conroy, MB, Kovalik, E, Kressin, NR, Muntner, P, Goff, DC, and SPRINT Study Research Group, . "The association between Self-Reported Medication Adherence scores and systolic blood pressure control: a SPRINT baseline data study." Journal of the American Society of Hypertension : Jash 10, no. 11 (November 2016): 857-864.e2. Full Text
- Pun, PH, and Kovalik, EC. "Methods of hemodialysis anticoagulation." Handbook of Dialysis Therapy (2008): 224-238. Full Text
- O'Shea, SI, Ortel, TL, and Kovalik, EC. "Alternative methods of anticoagulation for dialysis-dependent patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia." Semin Dial 16, no. 1 (January 2003): 61-67. (Review) Link to Item
- Kovalik, EC, and Schwab, SJ. "Treatment approaches for infected hemodialysis vascular catheters." Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension 11, no. 6 (November 2002): 593-596. (Review) Full Text
- Kovalik, EC, and Schwab, SJ. "Treatment approaches for infected hemodialysis vascular catheters." Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension 11, no. 6 (2002): 593-596. Full Text
- Conlon, PJ, Kovalik, E, Schumm, D, Minda, S, and Schwab, SJ. "Normalization of hematocrit in hemodialysis patients with cardiac disease does not increase blood pressure." Renal Failure 22, no. 4 (2000): 435-444. Full Text
- Conlon, PJ, Kovalik, E, Schumm, D, Minda, S, and Schwab, SJ. "Normalization of hematocrit in hemodialysis patients does not affect silent ischemia." Renal Failure 22, no. 2 (2000): 205-211. Full Text
- Chew, ST, Fitzwilliam, J, Indridason, OS, and Kovalik, EC. "Role of urine and serum protein electrophoresis in evaluation of nephrotic-range proteinuria." American Journal of Kidney Diseases : the Official Journal of the National Kidney Foundation 34, no. 1 (July 1999): 135-139. Full Text
- Kovalik, EC, and Schwab, SJ. "Implementation of the Dialysis Outcomes Quality Initiative Vascular Access Guidelines." Adv Ren Replace Ther 6, no. 1 (January 1999): 14-17. Link to Item
- Kovalik, EC, and Schwab, SJ. "Can venous stenosis be prevented?." Seminars in Dialysis 12, no. 3 (1999): 144-145.
- Conlon, PJ, Athirakul, K, Kovalik, E, Schwab, SJ, Crowley, J, Stack, R, McCants, CB, Mark, DB, Bashore, TM, and Albers, F. "Survival in renal vascular disease." J Am Soc Nephrol 9, no. 2 (February 1998): 252-256. Link to Item
- Kovalik, EC, and Schwab, SJ. "Antibiotic prophylaxis for hemodialysis access placement." Am J Kidney Dis 30, no. 3 (September 1997): 448-. Link to Item
- Kovalik, EC, Raymond, JR, Albers, FJ, Berkoben, M, Butterly, DW, Montella, B, and Conlon, PJ. "A clustering of epidural abscesses in chronic hemodialysis patients: risks of salvaging access catheters in cases of infection." Journal of the American Society of Nephrology : Jasn 7, no. 10 (October 1996): 2264-2267.
- Kovalik, EC, Schwab, SJ, Gunnells, JC, Bowie, D, and Smith, SR. "No change in complication rate using spring-loaded gun compared to traditional percutaneous renal allograft biopsy techniques." Clin Nephrol 45, no. 6 (June 1996): 383-385. Link to Item
- KOVALIK, EC, CONLON, PJ, MINDA, S, SCHUMM, D, and SCHWAB, SJ. "NORMALIZATION OF HEMATOCRIT DOES NOT AFFECT LIPOPROTEIN PROFILES IN HEMODIALYSIS-PATIENTS." JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY OF NEPHROLOGY 6, no. 3 (September 1995): 544-544. Link to Item
- Conlon, PJ, Howell, DN, Macik, G, Kovalik, EC, and Smith, SR. "The renal manifestations and outcome of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura/hemolytic uremic syndrome in adults." Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation : Official Publication of the European Dialysis and Transplant Association European Renal Association 10, no. 7 (January 1995): 1189-1193.
- Conlon, PJ, Kovalik, E, and Schwab, SJ. "Percutaneous renal biopsy of ventilated intensive care unit patients." Clinical Nephrology 43, no. 5 (1995): 309-311.
- KOVALIK, EC, and SCHWAB, SJ. "A COMPARISON OF PERCUTANEOUS TRANSLUMINAL ANGIOPLASTY VERSUS SURGICAL-CORRECTION OF VARIOUS ACCESS COMPLICATIONS." SEMINARS IN DIALYSIS 8, no. 3 (1995): 171-174. Full Text Link to Item
- Kovalik, EC, Newman, GE, Suhocki, P, Knelson, M, and Schwab, SJ. "Correction of central venous stenoses: use of angioplasty and vascular Wallstents." Kidney Int 45, no. 4 (April 1994): 1177-1181. Link to Item
- Raymond, JR, Arthur, JM, and Kovalik, E. "Strategies for preventing diabetic nephropathy." North Carolina medical journal 55, no. 8 (1994): 362-369.
- KOVALIK, EC, SCHWAB, SJ, and QUARLES, LD. "HOLLOW-FIBER VERSUS PARALLEL-PLATE DIALYZERS IN CONTINUOUS ARTERIOVENOUS HEMODIALYSIS." SEMINARS IN DIALYSIS 6, no. 4 (1993): 229-231. Full Text Link to Item
- KOVALIK, EC, and SCHWAB, SJ. "LOSS OF TRADITIONAL HEMODIALYSIS ACCESS SITES .1." SEMINARS IN DIALYSIS 6, no. 6 (1993): 341-342. Full Text Link to Item
- Lee, A, Silberman, H, and Kovalik, E. "Bulk laxative causing esophageal obstruction." North Carolina medical journal 50, no. 9 (1989): 489-491.
- Schecter, RL, Major, PP, Kovac, PE, Ishida, M, Kovalik, EC, Dion, AS, Langleben, A, Boileau, G, Boos, G, and Panasci, L. "Double antibody radioimmunoassay for monitoring metastatic breast cancer." British Journal of Cancer 58, no. 3 (September 1988): 362-367. Full Text
- Major, PP, Kovac, PE, Lavallée, ML, and Kovalik, EC. "Monoclonal antibodies to antigens abnormally expressed in breast cancer." J Histochem Cytochem 35, no. 2 (February 1987): 139-148. Full Text Link to Item
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.