Education, Training, & Certifications
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology 2010
Academic Positions Outside Duke
- Associate Professor, University of Florida. 2015 - 2017
- Associate Professor, Interim Chair, Clemson University. 2014 - 2015
- Assistant Professor, Clemson University. 2011 - 2014
In the News
JUN 2, 2016 1. The Journal: Transforming Education Through Technology
AUG 21, 2015 South Carolina ETV
AUG 11, 2015 Book Chapter
AUG 5, 2015 Chicago Tribune
JAN 19, 2015 USAToday
DEC 1, 2014 ASEE Prism
NOV 14, 2014 National Science Foundation
NOV 7, 2014 NationSwell
NOV 3, 2014 Science World Report
NOV 3, 2014 Phys Org
NOV 3, 2014 La Nacion
NOV 3, 2014 Medical Daily
OCT 21, 2014 Clemson Newsstand
OCT 3, 2014 Atlanta Blackstar
MAY 1, 2014 Clemson Newsstand
OCT 9, 2013 Girl Scouts of the USA
JAN 13, 2013 Diverse Issues in Higher Education
MAR 2, 2011 PBS
Awards & Honors
- Extraordinary Educator Award . Delta Alpha Pi. 2015
- Technology, Instruction, Cognition and Learning Early Career Research Award . American Education Research Association. 2015
- Emerging Scholar . Diverse Issues in Higher Education . 2013
- Epsilon Award - Most Promising Technologist . Black Data Processing Association. 2013
- Scholar . Clemson Institute for the Advancement of Healthcare . 2012
- Fellow. Samsung. 2007
- Fellow. Stanford University - LIFE Center. 2007
- Graduate Community Fellow - Women's Initiatives. Massachusetts Institute of Technology . 2006
- Fellow. Delta Airlines. 2003
- Sean A. Pittman Award for Outstanding Service to the African American Community . Florida State University. 2001
- Member. Tau Beta Pi. 2000
- Torchbearer. National Society of Black Engineers . 2000
- Seminole Torchbearer. Florida State University . 1998
Fellowships, Supported Research, & Other Grants
- The Dancing Alice Project: Choreography & Computer Programming in Middle School awarded by Clemson University 2013
- Environmental Approaches to Increase Engagement and Reduce Dementia-related Disordered Behaviors of those with ADRD awarded by GHS/CU Institute for the Advancement of Healthcare 2013
- Virtual Environment Interactions: Exploring Grounded Embodied Pedagogy in Support of Computational Thinking awarded by National Science Foundation 2013 - 2017
- Broadening Participation in Computing-Alliance: Institute for African-American Mentoring in Computing Sciences (iAAMCS) awarded by National Science Foundation 2013 - 2018
- Human-Centered Computing Scholars: Fostering a New Generation of Underrepresented and Financially Disadvantaged Researchers awarded by National Science Foundation 2012 - 2014
- Developing Computational Thinking through Digital Storytelling: Coping with the Effects of the Oil Spill awarded by National Science Foundation 2011 - 2012
- Field Studies for the Development and Deployment of a Classroom Engagement Pedometer awarded by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation 2011 - 2013
- BPC-DP: A Multi-tiered Mentoring Model for Increasing Minority and Women Participation in Computing (M3) awarded by National Science Foundation 2010 - 2012
- Online Application to Support Inquiry-based Science (OASIS) Teaching in High Density Computing Environments awarded by Department of Education 2009 - 2011
- Integrating Computing Across the Curriculum (ICAC): Incorporating Technology into STEM Education Using XO Laptops awarded by National Science Foundation 2009 - 2012
- Publications & Artistic Works
- Daily, S, James, MT, Cherry, D, Porter, JJ, Darnell, SS, Isaac, J, and Roy, T. "Affective Computing: Historial Foundations, Current Applications, and Future Trends." In Emotions and Affect in Human Factors and Human-Computer Interaction, edited by M Jeon. Academic Press, April 5, 2017. Link to Item
- Millner, AD, and Daily, SB. "CREATING AN EDUCATIONAL ECOSYSTEM FOR DESIGN, PERSONAL FABRICATION, AND INVENTION." 403-. IAP, 2008.
- Daily, SB, Leonard, AE, Jörg, S, Babu, S, DSouza, N, Parmar, D, Gundersen, K, Isaac, J, and Acker, S. "Combating Perceptions of Computer Scientists: A Short-term Intervention." ACM, 2016.
- Parmar, D, Babu, SV, Lin, L, Jörg, S, D'Souza, N, Leonard, AE, and Daily, SB. "Can embodied interaction and virtual peer customization in a virtual programming environment enhance computational thinking?." IEEE, 2016.
- Parmar, D, Isaac, J, Babu, SV, D'Souza, N, Leonard, AE, Joerg, CS, Gundersen, K, and Daily, SB. "2016 IEEE Virtual Reality Conference, VR 2016-Proceedings." 2016.
- Parmar, D, Isaac, J, Babu, SV, D'Souza, N, Leonard, AE, Jörg, S, Gundersen, K, and Daily, SB. "Programming moves: Design and evaluation of applying embodied interaction in virtual environments to enhance computational thinking in middle school students." IEEE, 2016.
- Roy, T, Hodges, LF, Daily, SB, and McClendon, J. "SecondLook: Participatory Design Process to Create a Phone App that Detects Digital Dating Abuse." IEEE, 2016.
- Thomas, J, Daily, SB, and Streeter, M. "Supporting Students of Color in Learning Computer Science." ACM, 2016.
- Daily, SB, Leonard, AE, Jörg, S, Babu, S, and Gundersen, K. "Dancing alice: Exploring embodied pedagogical strategies for learning computational thinking." ACM, 2014.
- Jörg, S, Leonard, AE, Babu, S, Gundersen, K, Parmar, D, Boggs, K, and Daily, SB. "Character animation and embodiment in teaching computational thinking." ACM, 2014.
- Daily, SB, Cotten, S, Gibson, P, Howell-Moroney, M, and O'neal, L. "Teacher self-efficacy and usage: the case of the XO laptop in Alabama." 2013.
- Daily, SB, Gilbert, JE, Eugene, W, Gardner-McCune, C, McMullen, KA, Hall, PW, Remy, SL, Woodard, DL, and Roy, T. "Alternate pathways to careers in computing." 2013.
- Daily, SB, Meyers, D, Darnell, S, Roy, T, and James, MT. "Understanding privacy and trust issues in a classroom affective computing system deployment." Springer, 2013.
- Eugene, W, Daily, SB, Barnes, T, and Burns, R. "Building technology fluency." 2013.
- Johnson, D, Wyss, JM, Gray, J, Daily, S, Shih, A, and Abbot, G. "Broadening participation in computing: the multi-tiered approach." ACM, 2012.
- Chapman, R, and Daily, SB. "OASIS." 2011.
- Carter, A, Daily, S, and Daily, J. "ScratchLabs: A Novel Professional Development Program for Technology Integration." 2010.
- Daily, SB, and Brennan, K. "Utilizing technology to support the development of empathy." ACM, 2008.
- Hayes, ER, Gee, JP, Games, I, Torres, RJ, Peppler, K, Kafai, YB, Pinkard, N, Klopfer, E, Scheintaub, H, and Rogers, M. "New perspectives on learning through (game) design." International Society of the Learning Sciences, 2008.
- Brittain, E, Bryant, R, Chandler, L, Chapman, R, Daily, SB, Hampton, M, Mills-Henry, I, and Walcott, A. "The academy of courageous minority engineers." 2007.
- Daily, SB, Eugene, W, and Prewitt, A. "The development of social capital in engineering education to improve student retention." 2007.
- Prewitt, A, Eugene, W, and Daily, SB. "Minority retention and success in engineering." 2007.
- Picard, RW, and Daily, SB. "Evaluating affective interactions: Alternatives to asking what users feel." 2005.
- Daily, SB, and Picard, R. "INNER-active Journal." ACM, 2004.
- Alvarez, I, Lopez-de Ipiña, K, Daily, SB, and Gilbert, JE. "Emotional Adaptive Vehicle User Interfaces: moderating negative effects of failed technology interactions while driving."
- Brennan, K, Daily, SB, and Kaman, C. "Empathy as a Foundation of Civic Engagement: Using Technology and Storytelling to Cultivate Perspective Taking Abilities."
- Daily, SB. "Alternate Pathways to Careers in Computing: Recruiting and Retaining Women Students."
- Volante, M, Babu, SV, Chaturvedi, H, Newsome, N, Ebrahimi, E, Roy, T, Daily, SB, and Fasolino, T. "Effects of Virtual Human Appearance Fidelity on Emotion Contagion in Affective Inter-Personal Simulations." IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 22, no. 4 (April 21, 2016): 1326-1335. Full Text
- B. Daily, S, E. Leonard, A, Jörg, S, Babu, S, Gundersen, K, and Parmar, D. "Embodying Computational Thinking: Initial Design of an Emerging Technological Learning Tool." Technology, Knowledge and Learning 20, no. 1 (April 2015): 79-84. Full Text
- DAILY, SB, JAMES, MT, ROY, T, and DARNELL, SS. "EngageMe: Designing a Visualization Tool Utilizing Physiological Feedback to Support Instruction." Technology, Instruction, Cognition & Learning 10, no. 2 (2015).
- Eggert, J, Dye, CJ, Vincent, E, Parker, V, Daily, SB, Pham, H, Watson, AT, Summey, H, and Roy, T. "Effects of viewing a preferred nature image and hearing preferred music on engagement, agitation, and mental status in persons with dementia." SAGE Open Medicine 3 (2015): 2050312115602579-.
- Leonard, AE, Dsouza, N, Babu, SV, Daily, SB, Jörg, S, Waddell, C, Parmar, D, Gundersen, K, Gestring, J, and Boggs, K. "Embodying and Programming a Constellation of Multimodal Literacy Practices: Computational Thinking, Creative Movement, Biology, & Virtual Environment Interactions." Journal of Language and Literacy Education 11, no. 2 (2015): 64-93.
- Yanxiang Wu, , Babu, SV, Armstrong, R, Bertrand, JW, Jun Luo, , Roy, T, Daily, SB, Cairco Dukes, L, Hodges, LF, and Fasolino, T. "Effects of Virtual Human Animation on Emotion Contagion in Simulated Inter-Personal Experiences." IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 20, no. 4 (April 2014): 626-635. Full Text
- Daily, SB, and Eugene, W. "Preparing the Future STEM Workforce for Diverse Environments." Edited by KA Scott and K Clark. Urban Education 48, no. 5 (September 2013): 682-704. Full Text
- Hutcherson, DE, Hurley, RA, Daily, SB, and Ouzts, AD. "Talk to Me—Biometrically Adaptive Consumer Packaging: The Effects of Emotion Relative to a Consumer’s Purchasing Decisions." International Journal of Science in Society 4, no. 3 (2013).
- Leonard, AE, and Daily, SB. "The Dancing Alice Project: Computational and Embodied Arts Research in Middle School Education." Voke (2013).
- Roy, T, James, MT, Gupta, A, Darnell, SS, and Daily, S. "A Participatory Design Process for Developing a Tool to Visualize Classroom Engagement." (2013).
- Eugene, W, Daily, SB, and Langer, E. "XO integration: voices from the field." International Journal of Services, Economics and Management 4, no. 1 (2012): 62-74.
- Daily, SB, and Picard, RW. "Girls Involved in Real Life Sharing: Utilizing Technology to Support the Emotional Development of Teenaged Girls." Journal of School Counseling 5, no. 20 (2007): n20-.
- Volonte, M, Babu, S, Chaturvedi, H, Newsome, N, Ebrahimi, E, Roy, T, Daily, SB, and Fasolino, T. "Effects of Virtual Human Appearance Fidelity on Emotion Contagion in Affective Inter-Personal Simulations."
Theses and Dissertations
- Teaching & Mentoring
- Scholarly, Clinical, & Service Activities
Presentations & Appearances
Service to Duke
Some information on this profile has been compiled automatically from Duke databases and external sources. (Our About page explains how this works.) If you see a problem with the information, please write to Scholars@Duke and let us know. We will reply promptly.